Acne Community
Rosacea treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Rosacea treatment

I am a guy of 40 yrs old , severly affected by Rosacea and continual acne problem
my question is that could cunnilingus trigger Rosacea , because in my case it is actually triggered and I am using Metro cream advised by my doctor but it doesnt help at all , sometimes it is just aggravated and trhe burning sensation is worsened. doctor has diagnosed my case as Rosacea but I am still tending to think that I might be alergic (allergic) to something such as cunnilingus .my doctor has suggested doing PDT for my back which is terribly affected by Acne .the date has been set for the treatment but not for my face ,doctor has given me Retin-A for my face and is telling me it does the same thing as accutane. i have not been able to use the retin-A  effectively because I think my rosacea is getting worse or triggered with it .
I would appreciate if you could study my case and comment on that .

Thanks for your care
Hi. Your skin can initially worsen when starting treatment with an oral or topical retinoid such as Accutane or Retin-A. This initial outbreak will clear within 2 weeks.
Have you tried oral antibiotics such as oxytetracycline and if so what were the results like? Repeated courses or long term use may be indicated.
Your doctor should be able to distinguish between Rosacea and an allergy based on clinical presentation.
Loiloi xx
Hi , Thank you for your nice reply , I have hads a long experience with taking diffreent antibiotics Tetracycline families , oxytetracycline,minocycline,doxycycline and you name it , the effect is only temporary and then again the outbreaks.I gave p hope using antibiotics and was refered to a dermetologist for the next step , accutane didn't work for me due to increasing my trigliceride level. my acne when appears and cured leaves a very bad trace and it takes a long time to get rid of the trace of it.my doctor has rescribed Retin -A Micro for my face as the last remedy and also suggested taking antibiotics once the acuutane is fully out of my system.my back traces of Acne is goingto be treated by PDT therapy , I am not sure if I want to push to have it done for my face too, reason is that I am working everyday and hard to ask for any vacation.and since I am a guy it is a bit not suited for me to do the PDT for my face .my question is that if using Tretinoin for my face then is it  going to help cure my Rosacea as well?my doctor told me that the Tretinoin is doing the same thing as PDT and is tightening the oil glans (glands) in my face skin. and by reading through th e internet I learned that the PDT is also helping with the Rosecea to disappear if so Tretinoin will do the same thing am i right ?
I do appreciate your expert reply.

Hoss
Antibotics do not 'cure' the problem so repeat courses may be necessary for as long as you are prone to acne/rosacea.
Tretinoin shrinks the oil glands and they grow back very slowly which means that you should have a long term remission.
Recent research suggests that tretinoin does help rosacea as well as acne.
Loiloi xx
I have done some research on the web studying about the cause ofg rosacea , they are mentioning that Trtinoin could be a cause of Rosacea as well as Benzyl peroxide.
this is while  I am actually using Retin-A Micro for my acne condition which was my main concern .later when my Rosacea has got aggravated the man concern has become my Rosacea.
my question s that whether Retin-A Micro can help cure my Rosacea while removing my Acne issues.?
Retin -A is another type of Tretinoin and the websites are refering to tretinoin as one of the causes of Rosacea.
To be honest with ou after two weeks of using Retin-A Micro almost everyother day and sometimes evryday , my face redness has become worse .I am also using my Metro Cream which is an antiRosacea cream with very little success , the burning sensation when applying the Metro Cream is there .
My question is that shall I use my Metro cream while using my Retin-A Micro ?
I am just worried that Retin-A is going to cure my Acne issues while aggravating my Rosacea.I am still on a diet of no Tetra cycline waiting fo rmy Accutane to get out of my system fully.
my skin is very red after washing my face , and I am trying to use very mild soaps good for babies good for dry skins but still my skin reacts very badly to cleansing.
I am using Poltar shampoo every now ad then.do you think this product can interact with my Rosacea.
I do apprecite your reply.

I use cleansers and moisturisers by Roche-Posay and they cause no irritation. Their Rosaliac products reduce redness and their Toleriane products are suitable for even the most reactive skin. I also like Eucerin products, they make a redness relief cleanser and moisturiser and a shampoo.
Most dermatologists now agree that tretinoin does not cause Rosacea, although it does cause redness. Recent research has found that oral and topical retinoids can help rosacea. There are however studies which contradict these findings.
I am in a similar situation. I have peri-oral dermatitis and Rosacea. I take oxytetracycline as this benefits both conditions. I also take Dianette as I am female. I find that by using the gentle cleansing products above, the Differin which I apply to my skin does not sting. Loiloi xx
Thank you for your reply , I am not sure if these products are available in Canada -Calgary where we live but I will try to start my search tomorrow at different places in town.
I have bought my wife Elizabeth Arden Eight hour cream based on your suggestion and she is very happy with the results  os far. she wanted me to thank you for your advise. she is now very interested to find out whether Tretinoin can help her rejuvinate her skin and get a brand new skin on her face.
she is thinking that Tretinoin will help peel her skin and get rid of old skin.she has got some large open pores on her nose that she is suffering from. She has a normal skin ( not oily at all) and probably dry. she is getting acne breakouts every now and then mostly during her periods.
She wants to use my Retin-A Micro cream fo rthi spurpose and she  wants to know about your opinion.

I have some more questions to ask but looks like it is a bit rude to ask you too any questions in one session.
I will appreciate your reply.

La Roche-posay is available in Canada, in stores and online (I live in the Uk but am from Toronto).
I'm glad the 8 hour cream is working.
I wouldn't recommend Retin-A for the purpose you describe. Clinique make a good range of Pore minimising products. I also like Estee Lauder products: their foaming cleanser for normal skin gives a real soap-and-water clean feeling. Follow that with their exfoliating scrub for normal skin which leaves skin so soft you don't need much moisturiser which is good if you're prone to break-outs. Estee Lauder also make a great product called Idealist Skin refinisher which has many benefits, including minimising pores. Loiloi xx
Hi, how are you?
Have you resumed oral oxytetracycline yet? How long were you advised to wait after finishing accutane?
Hope you have managed to find some good products. I am using Rosaliac by La Roche-Posay and it is helping. Loiloi xx
Thank you for your follow ups on my recovery.
I had to wait for a minimum of a month before taking Tetracycline .I had to stop tetracycline after 10 days due to the fact that I was booked for PDT session just yesterday. I had it done on my back mostly targetting the shoulders , the Luvelin stick didn't contain enough to cover the whole back at all .anyways, I expected to see some redness in my back skin but so far not a lot of redness.I was under the Luvelin incubation for about two hours and 5 minutes of the red light three times to three places on my back.I cannot request any days off from the company I work for therefore I just focused on my back and not my face.
tetracycline has done a good job but the breakouts can happen again.
I stopped Micro Retina a while back due to the breakouts and adhered back to Benzaclin. I am going to resume Mico retina like next week .and try to stick with it for a long time .the doctor told me it does the same thing as PDT but in a longer term.I couldn't find Rosalic in the stores in Calgary but the websites are there to order .at this point of time I don't want to be that much bothered with my Rosacea since taking tetracycline has helped almost eliminate thsi problem besde the acne.
Do you think by taking a minimum dose of the tetracycline I can take control of my Rosacea.if so haow much is needed pere day to take, I am taking 4 capsules(250 mg) a day but cannot go on like this for a long time .maybe I can continue like this for two month , but I need to lowre the dos e in future just enough to keep my rosacea under control, I may have to go for PDT for my face too but not sure at this point of time I am sort of fed up with this skin problem, it has become a preoccupation .I have almost lost my focus on my other aspects of life.
I am very grateful to your kind attention and sympathy for following up with me on this issue.
my wife is also thankful for your advice , we are going to look for the Estee LAurel product that you advised her to use to minimize the pore sizes.I will update you on the results .her rough and dry hands are now back to normal due to using what yopu advised .

Once the Rosacea is under control you can reduce the dose of oxytetracycline. I take 2 tablets a day.
I know how you feel about a pre-occupation with skin conditions. I was very depressed about mine in the past. There is no magic wand, but there are some really good products out there. Rosaliac is not expensive so order a bottle and see if it works for you. It has calmed my Rosacea without aggreviating my acne.
Loiloi x