Acne Community
Safe acne treatments while trying to concieve(conceive)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I'm 24 yrs old and I have been suffering with acne for about 8 years now. It's actually gotten worse recently instead of better. I get the deep painful pimples sometimes that take a few days to surface into whiteheads and they almost always leave a scar. I am so frustrated b/c I've tried numerous things and the only thing that worked for me was B5 clearskin. I loved it b/c it made my face a lot less oily and I never got the deep painful pimples while on it. I took it for 2yrs and recently stopped due to it causing my hair to thin out and night sweats. Also we are currently trying to concieve (conceive) and I want to use something that will be safe during pregnancy. Any ideas? I'm currently using Vivier face wash and toner twice a day and 8% glycolic face wash in the am only. I use a 2.5% benzyol peroxide lotion 1-2 times a day depending on how dry my face is. These are not doing the job and I need to find something else. I'm convinced my acne has most everything to do with my oil production which is extreme.
Have you tried an oil free control cream Aven'e is one but not cheap and Nivea visage oil freecream,  both control oil and keep the face looking mat.

Good luck.

Sudocrem is excellent for spots and redness.
I use an oil-free moisturizer right now made by EltaMD. It has zinc in it and it does help with the shine more than my previous moisturizers and i have tried Garnier oil free mattifying moisterizer and that helped too. I still break out though. Obviously i need something that will shink my pores and dry up the sebacous glands. Any ideas anyone? Accutane is not an option as its a nasty med and i am ttc.
No acne medication will confirm it is safe to use during pregnancy, as there is always a theorectical risk that small amounts of the product (either oral or topical) could be absorbed by the baby. I would use Estee Lauder cleanser and toner for oily skin which can be used frequently without causing irritation. The good news is that during pregnancy your skin may very well improve due to the changes in hormones. After you have finished (or chosen not to) breastfeed then find a product to help your acne. There are plenty of options, Differin is the most effective topical lotion especially when used in conjuction with an oral treatment like antibiotics or an anti-androgen pill. Accutane may have more potential side effects but it is the only treatment that offers the possibility of complete remission, rather than just management of the problem. Roche, the makers of accutane say you must wait 4 weeks after finishing your course of treatment before trying to conceive, and you must use two methods of contraception whilst on it. Hope this helps love loiloi x
im 24 years old from ireland i have the same problem spots since i was 13 der not really bad just the occasional 4 or 5 but i never sem to not have dem get them on my sholders back and face not many but a few.i go on the sunbed once a week and i find this really helps keep spots at bay i no its also bad for your skin ie wrinkles cancer etc but once a week for five minutes wont do that much harm and also youll be left with a nice clear complexion.i stopped using the sunbed for a month now and my skin is horrible about 20 spots on my face i feel ugly and dont wanna go out side the door so i think i mite start using sunbed again any one have any suggestions :)