Acne Community
Salicylic Acid Burn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Salicylic Acid Burn

I had a pimple and I used salicylic acid (garnier spot treatment) to try to get rid of it. It was a gel and it formed a layer of dead skin on the pimple and then when I gently cleansed my skin, that layer of dead skin came off exposing the new sensitive skin beneath. Because the pimple was smaller but still there, I applied more salicylic acid on, not thinking about it. Now the pimple is gone but I have a big brown blotch on my skin resembling a burn mark. I have been moisturizing it because it feels dry. I was just wondering if this is going to scar/leave a mark or if it will go away completely in some time. It is only a surface burn and not very deep.

Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Hi there!

The region of increased pigmentation s expected to fade and disappear with time and should not be a reason for worry, though overuse of salicylic acid would have been best avoided on facial skin in the first place. For better healing, I would advise keeping the skin adequately moisturised. Use of a lotion containing calamine may also be useful.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!