Acne Community
Skincare After Accutane?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Skincare After Accutane?

I took accutane at one milligram per kilogram (90 mg) per day for four months for my treatment. I've been off of the drug for about four months now and I don't really have acne anymore however I have some enlarged pores on and around my nose that came since the cessation of my treatment. I currently am using Rosula Daily facial wash, Retin-A Micro 0.04 % gel once nightly and topical Duac (Benzoyl Peroxide 5% and Clindomycin Phosphate 1%) as spot treatment. This has really been to no avail and was wonder about other treatment options either orally or topically.
Hi. Having taken Accutane you may find that oral and topical treatments which were previously of limited benefit may help. This is because Accutane shrinks the sebaceous glands, and they grow back to their previous size very slowly.
Enough time has passed for you to safely take tetracycline antibiotics (they must not be taken at the same time as Accutane). Topical synthetic retinoids like Retin-A or Differin have been found to be even more effective when used in conjunction with oral antibiotics.
If there is a definate relapse another course of Accutane may be indicated. 20% of patients, including myself, require a second or third course.
Eloise.
I have taken Adoxa 150 mg (Doxyclylin Time Released) before I had gone on the accutane. The skin hasnt really relasped in that I don't have any acne, its just that the quality of the skin is poorer...my poors seem larger and my skin is somewhat oily in that area. My dermatologist said since there are no lesions that an antibiotic won't help and that she won't put me back on acne because its not supposed to be used a prophylactic and that I don't have any real acne to treat right now.