Sodium Sulfacetamide and Sulfur lotion - Acne Rosacea
Perfect skin all my life up until last year where I started getting random bumps/acne that would appear and disappear overnight. Finally went to a dermatologist and he diagnosed as Roscea. Prescribed Sodium Sulfacetamide and Sulfur solution cream and doxycycline once a day.

Over the last year, worse it ever got was maybe 5 flesh colored bumps on my forehead. Two days after starting the treatment, my forehead now looks like a war zone. Maybe 50+ red bumps and now they actually look like pimples with some black heads. (that is new).

Did a google search and was hoping this was common. Only found one thread that suggested it was an "initial breakout" - getting worse before it gets better. My dermatologist is gone for the weekend, figured I would ask this board.

Anyone have experience with this cream? Does this sound normal or am I having a bad reaction?

Thanks in advance.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lesions. These could be allergic reaction to the medications, acne, folliculitis, a few other infectious/ inflammatory conditions of the skin etc. I would suggest discontinuing the current medication (Sodium Sulfacetamide and Sulfur solution cream - for fear of allergic reaction) and using an OTC ointment containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin. It is also advised to wash the face atleast 3 times a day with a mild soap, keep it oil free and avoid allergens such as dust, pollen, stress etc; and consider a review with your dermatologist on his/ her return.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thanks for the response Dr.

I stopped the sulfur cream and applied fluticasone propionate cream over night. Woke up the next morning and not a single bump/pimple or anything. Perfectly clear after one application. Been two days, and still completely clear.