Acne Community
Splenda = zits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Splenda = zits

Just thought I would share... recently my skin has been breaking out, and I've been trying to figure out why? I am 26 and didn't have acne when I was younger, and it's not really acne now, but bumps on my forehead & little pimples every now & again.

Anyway - I found that since I stopped using Splenda as much, the little bumps are going away! I still have some splenda, like if I have a diet soda. But I don't use it in my morning tea....  

I still have some issues, trying to figure that out. Caffeine maybe? But I can't quit that!

Tags: Acne
Omg, I use a lot of Splenda too.  Recently I have felt like I look worse than I did when I was 17....
I also saw on the news:  Cell phones carry as much bacteria as a public toilet.  This bacteria can cause many things conerning illnesses, and in addition....acne!  You must clean your phone every day...I spray Lysol on a paper towel and wipe it down.  I just started doing this, so lets see!
Splenda is toxic, it causes a lot more then just skin problems, diet drinks, energy drinks, and all kind of foods, vitamins, med's, even toothpaste contain artificial sweeteners like Aspartame and Splenda, also Sorbitol, Acelfame, and a few other fancy names for poison. CHECK EVERYTHING! (Don't be fooled by claims of being made from sugar, or the word "natural" on anything.) I bet if you give up all artificial sweeteners, especially Splenda and Aspartame, you'll see a lot more improvement then just your skin. (Of course, many will disagree with me or say this is a myth, but you will find 50 people against artif' sweeteners, to every 1 who is for it!)
Splenda is NOT toxic. I use Splenda and my skin is no different than before it came out.  I never used sweetners before Splenda because they tasted bad. Same skin. In fact, since I started using a different face wash slightly better skin.

There is no credible evidence that artificial sweetners cause any illnesses, though they serve people with a serious illnesses quite well.

People with PKU need to stay away from aspertame.
That's about it.

Foods don't cause zits, though they can cause ALLERGIC skin rashes, which would not be acne.

I've had acne to one degree or another all my life and it doesn't matter what you eat.
See.... Like I said: "Of course, many will disagree with me or say this is a myth, but you will find 50 people against artif' sweeteners, to every 1 who is for it!"

Artificial sweeteners are toxic. Some people may not think so because they personally don't have a reaction (or none they are aware of,) but that is no reason to claim its okay for everyone. I personally know 3 individuals (unrelated) who have been to the ER because of sweeteners they used. My personal experience is that they DO cause acne (for me... & obviously others). Allergic or not, sweeteners are toxic, bad, poison, hazardous, dangerous, harmful, unsafe, risky, unhealthy
Artificial sweeteners ARE VERY bad for you .. here.. check out this site..

http://curezone.com/diseases/toxins/

I make sure to read EVERY label.. they put in in so many things..
I use so much Splenda that they should give me a large % of their stock in the company. I use it all day, and I am a health freak!. I realize that Everything can be bad for you if not used in moderation. But on the other hand, now that you point it out, I have been having alot of breakouts lately. Im wondering if I should slow down on the Splenda.. But I will agree with you that Aspertame, and other artificial sweeteners are very toxic, and bad for your heart.
I would never recommend Splenda - it's unnatural, chemical garbage!

I started a blog to spread the word about it at splendainfo.com.
Artificial sweetners, especially those containing aspartame, can cause cycstic acne. I discovered this after trying to switch to Diet Coke for weight loss and I almost immediately began having break-outs that could not be cured by benzyll peroxide. After doing some research on the 'net, I discovered aspartame and its potential side effects. The acne cleared up within 2 days after I stopped drinking Diet Coke.
Sharing Stories
At some point, we all face a health issue. Having someone share their health experiences, fears, afflictions and triumphs can provide you with insight, confidence or hope to tackle yours. If you are interested in having your story told in a more open and interactive forum, I'd love to hear from you.
I have been drinking a lot of generic "crystal light" type calorie-free drinks, and watering them down quite a bit, but still drinking quite a lot I suppose. Also using some splenda in my oatmeal and ocassionally in my tea or coffee. Have been having breakouts, that's why I typed in splenda and acne and it got me here. Guess I'll be trying to cut back! Still going to have to but lowfat yogurts etc with it in there, but may try to drink those drinks a lot less.
I am 29 years old, and have struggled with acne for the last six years.  Every day, I would break out with 3-4 new breakouts--the cystic kind around my jawline and cheekbone area.  In addition to that, I had hundred of little red bimbos all over my face.  SInce I never had any skin problems during my teenage years, and my family does not have a histroy of acne, my husband and I figured that my acne started at the same time I switched from regular cokes to diet cokes ... and I drank an exorbitant amount (between 6-8 per day).  Since I am a researcher by occupation, I decided to do my own emprirical study since I found no studies that linked artifical sweetners with acne.  I did not have high hopes, since I have tried many, many methods over the last six years to clear my problem with cystic acne.  However, after 24 hours of eliminating all artificial sweetners from my diet, 50% of the small red bumps have diappeared form my face and no new breakouts have occurred since I eilimnatied this from my diet.  The cysts themselves disappeared within 24 hours, while the older breakouts are slowly healing.  If you are a person who struggles with acne and consumes a high dosage of artifical sweetners, I suggest that you implement a "fast" from these products and observe the effect it has on your skin.  I am so glad I did.
Okay, so that would be bumps, not "bimbos" ... although these little perky bumbs could be classified as bimbos.
I am so glad I found this on the net. For two years since replacing my sugar with sweetners ie splenda and canderel I have often broken out with acne which I just cannot seem to clear up. I never had this problem before, I have tried elliminating foods like cheese and dairy, thinking it might have been that, but there has been no improvements at all! I did get suspicious as I recently bought canderel instead of the usual splenda and the bumps have now spread to my jawline and neck. Even antibiotic creams have not been able to clear them up. I am quite a high consumer of sweetners and had no idea that this might be causing my problems, i will now eliminate them and see if it makes a difference. Will keep you posted:o)
People, people ,people! Sugar substitutes were made for people who have diabetes and cannot tolerate real sugar! Yes it does help with dieters but anything that is man made to substitute something natural is going to eventually have adverse effects on your health including your skin! Forget splenda and other sugar substitutes, they taste awful anyway! Just go for the real thing and cut back on how much you consume.  Would you rather have one good homemade cookie made with real sugar or 3 made with splenda! I know what I perfer, i hate sugar sustitutes of any kind, why I would rather eat a bunch of raw veggies than even one bite or drink of something with sugar substitute in it. Such a terrible bitter after taste! They are an insult to my palete. I'm so glad I'm not diabetic.
Earlier this year I totally quit drinking coke and switched to ice tea sweetend with Splenda. I just posted a thread about the sudden onset of acne on my jaw, neck, shoulders and back. Then I read this thread! have you had any success with not using artifical sweetners and better skin? I'm desperate and would love to hear that you've experienced an improvement.

Thank you
SPSAustin
I too just posted a thread about adult acne and them came across this one.  I've been using Splenda for a few months now and have just started to really break out in the chin and jaw area.  I've never really had acne in my life up until this point.  I'm going to cut the Splenda for a while and see what happens.  It seems to be the only thing that makes sense.
Thanks everyone!!
Man, it's about time.

My story is just too similar to all yours to be true.  I'm 32, and I never had acne until I was 24.  Since then, it's been on and off and I could never find the trigger.  I bought ALL the products.  I'm a guy, and I started wearing make-up I'm so self-conscious.  I actually started thinking I was allergic to cotton or polyester from my pillow since I would wake up with worse looking skin than the day before, and man does my skin ever break out sometimes, and other times there's a spot here and there.  I just put 2 and 2 together today (you should see my face, it's freekishly ugly).

None of my family has ever had acne problems, I never had acne problems as a teenager, why now? Why in my adult life.  This morning I woke up with my worst break out yet/ever, and I just realized I had 3 bottles of crystal light yesterday.  Now I connected the dots and realized that back when I got out of University, I think I switched to diet coke, and have been drinking it on and off ever since.

There was a period in there where I was acne free for two years, and I only realized today that I wasn't drinking diet coke then cause my GF didn't like it!  Why has it taken 8 years of shame for me to find out about this?  I didn't have have any aspertame today, and I'm never having any ever again, my skin already feels better and cleared up 50% from this morning!!!  Can't wait to see it in a week!

Man, to think of all the money I spent on products, and nothing ever worked!  Geez...
Diet has not been proven to have an affect on acne. Acne is caused by a sensitivity to hormones, excess oil in the glands and the acne bacteria.
Foods may however trigger histamine responses which may present themselves as a bumpy red rash.
Loiloi xx
Those of you talking about diet sodas, they are mostly made with Aspartame, which is EQUAL.  SPLENDA is sucralose.  I don't know if I really believe this because how about all the young people who have acne and don't use artificial sweetners or drink diet drinks (they don't have to because they are thin).  Why are they getting acne?

People like to blame artificial sweetners for everything, but they have been a lifesafer for diabetics or people like me (I have a condition called metabolic syndrome and I have to limit sugar).  

Also, TOO MUCH SUGAR is bad for you!  If you go to get coffee every day and load it up with sugar, or drink juices or gatorade, there's a lot of sugar in that.  There is sugar is salad dressing, ketchup, sauces and all kinds of things.  

I have been drinking diet drinks and using sugar substitutes for 30 years.  If this stuff kills you, I would be gone by now for sure.  As far as acne, I don't see how this could be related at all.  There's no proof.
various peoples acne is likely to be of various causes. Whether something is scientifically proven or not, personal anecdote is a definitely useful source of information to consider. From my own experience...for my whole life since teens (now 26) i had many (bumps) raised closed commedones (not acne really) on my face and forehead , it was bad, and freakin annoying becuase i could not make them go away.  Eventually i decided perhaps it is dairy (i drank a lot of milk back then (1-3 cups a day), worth a try, so i cut 98% of dairy from my diet, and within a few months there were very few comedones, now, 1.5yrs later i don't have any at all and its freakin brilliant. I notice if i start eating a lot of yogurt they begin to return.  So milk and yoghurt are out, but i still eat a little cheese and pizza occasionally.  For me there is a very very strong connection, nothing else in my diet or lifestyle has changed at all.  Obviously many people drink milk with no problem, so clearly not everyones body behaves the same to different substances.

This has nothing to do with aspartame (i've always avioded it anyway) but i am just making the point that your diet can affect your skin, and some peoples bodies react differently to different substances, so perhaps (as it seems from the personal stories) aspartame may affect some peoples skin condition.

i have to post a comment.. i stopped splenda and my acne has improved 100 times, and my acne only got bad last few years (im 25) which is when i started dieting and thus replaced real sugar with fake sugar

ALOT of people can eat whatever they want including splenda and never break out, SOME people will break out eating whatever

ALOT of people can smoke their whole lives and live to be 100, SOME will die early of cancer.

this is to the people that post things like "i can eat this and that all day long, so that means it cant cause acne"
WOW!  I am glad I found all of your comments.  I am a 41 year old woman and I have never had acne problems in my entire life.  I have always had great skin and within the last few months my skin has had a lot of acne.  I have tried to discover what has changed in my life.  The only thing that is different is my diet.  I have started seriously dieting to try to get really trim for a cruise.  I started using splenda in everything, coffee, tea, cereal etc...  Now my skin has breaks out around my cheeks and forehead.  I am absolutely sure it is the splenda and I will not be using it again after today.

I googled splenda and acne because I had gone sometime without breaking out. I just started a new job and at my office, we get tea everyday and of course, a basket of splenda and sweet and low sits not too far from the water boiler. Last week I used three packets of splenda with my tea because they were out of honey, and wouldnt you know it, I started breaking out. At first I didn't really see the correlation between the two, so it was sadly overlooked. This past sunday, I had 2 diet cokes at a party, and wouldn't you know it, I broke out again. Could we be on to something here? Why isn't more testing being done if so many people are having reactions to it?
there is no scientific link between artificial sweeteners and acne. some people might react differently to certain sweeteners but thats purely genetic. sugar, on the other hand, is known to cause an increase in oil secretion, which causes acne.(fact).  It also causes a rush of insulin to be released to break it down, which lowers your immune system(fact), and, given the fact that acne are infections, you are more prone to break out when your immune system is weakened.
I am 37 years old and for the last past year I have used slenda here and there, recently I have been using it all day and everyday.  I have had horrible break-outs... they are bumps... not acne!!  You can't do anything with them.  Thank you for posting your comments and know I will not be using Slenda anymore....
I am 25 years old, during my teen years i had breakouts of cousre but nothing out of the ordinary. About 3 yeras ago around the age of 22 i noticed i was breaking out bad on my forehead. not pimples but bumps, i am very health driven so i never use sugar and always use splenda in my coffee sometimes up to 6 packes at day. Somtimes i even have a diet coke in there to. I went to a dermatologist and none of the meds or creams seem to work. Recently i had a revalation that the only thing that has been added to my diet in recent years in splenda. I deciced to google it and see if it had any correlation with acne I am SO GLAD THAT I FOUND THIS FORUM. I am going to cut out all slpenda and see what happens, I  have a good feeling that this may be the problem.
Thank God that I found this.I stopped drinking diet because the aspertame,but I switched to diet rite because it was made with splenda thinking it was better.I even told my best friend to switch because I thought that it would be better for us.Well I have been breaking out really bad,and I remeber breaking out like this at one other time in my life.Six years ago I went from coke to diet rite for about six months I had really bad acne at that time also then it went away and Iremember swithing to diet coke and my skin cleared up wich diet coke still is not good for you because of the aspertame.So here I am six years later with the same kind of wierd acne on my neck,scalp and chin and I cant help but wonder if it is not from the splenda. I called my friend and asked her if she ia breaking out and she said oh my gosh yes really bad. Both of us start drinking the splenda and both of us are breaking out wierd we never break out like this. God gave us natural foods like stick with them.Cant wait to see if our faces clear up

I have been suffering with terrible acne around the chin and mouth, giant bumps that seemed to appear out of nowhere and have grown huge!  I decided it must be something I ate, as I have had this problem once before and it was out of control.  So thinking really hard, I realized it was the same time of year last year that I broke out like this, and then I made the connection---SPLENDA for BAKING.  I bake once a year for Thanksgiving, making pies, etc., all with SPLENDA for BAKING.  Last year I broke out just like this year!  In between the two holidays, I have had immaculate skin!  NO MORE SPLENDA EVER!!!  I am so glad when I googled to find all these other comments about the same exact thing!  Thank goodness, and I hope many more older women (I am in my 50's) suffering from acne find this connection as well
I can't believe so many people are wondering about the same correlation!   Like so many of you, I googled acne and Splenda to see if anything would come up...and here I am, reading story after story that could be my own if I didn't know better!

I'm 27 and have been having acne trouble for the past year or so. ( The only other time I've had a problem with acne was when I was taking ephedra and eventually noticed the correlation and quit, ceasing the problem literally overnight.)  
I've been RACKING MY BRAIN trying to figure out what's changed...I've never had these flesh-colored little bumps before... EVER.  They're so stubborn and never seem to go away!  I even had a bout of cystic acne on my chin, or what I assume was cystic acne...behaved like nothing I ever knew existed.

All  these new skin problems got me wondering if it could be the Splenda!  I've been  drinking a diet energy drink for quite some time and recently started drinking massive amounts of tea with Splenda packets.  I'm cutting it out of my diet ASAP to see if it helps.  

Thank you all for posting and sharing!! :)
HOLY ****. k i love splenda and itll be some serious work to stop using it but my skin always gets worse when im drinking a TON of coffee (im still in college so a ton of coffee is basically equal to a 24 hr iv drip of it) with a LOT of splenda. perhaps i will start to work on cutting back on the fake sugar and see if it helps!
Yes, thank you everyone for posting!  I did the same, as of January I'm trying to lose weight that had lost the previous year and put it all back on over summer.  I have increased my splenda becuase I have been drinking tea and find I love it with splenda!  My acne is out of control!!!  I definitely notice when I up the amount of splenda my acne increases, especially in my chin area where I normally don't have much.  I am 38 african american and have NEVER had this much acne in my life.  My friend (A nutritionist) said it was hormonal although she did caution me to use no more than 4 packets a day of any artificial sweetner.  I finished a 100 packet box in a week.  I am going to stop and I'll have to get use to tea without a sweetner.  This will be hard as I'm used to having wine in the evening with dinner and I crave sweetness since giving up the wine.
Thank you all for posting, I think we are on to something!
I'm having the same problem!  I've had acne for all of my teenage years, and then decided to cut sugar completely out of my diet last month.  I cleared up very quickly, then I gave in and decided I would try Splenda and I got a rash of little bumps all over my face, mostly on my forehead and I haven't had problems there since I was about 14.  Some of them were even pretty big.  I stopped eating Splenda yesterday and we'll see what happens.  I hope it clears up pretty quickly since I'm still not eating sugar.
Wow - like some of the other comments mentioned, i've been breaking my head trying to figure out why my face has been breaking out so horribly.  For about 6 months now i've been on a "sugar-free hype".  I started getting addicted to McDonald's sugar-free iced coffee and this is about the time when the acne breakouts started.  Most recently, my new staple drink became the Cystal Light sugar free packets that you dump into your bottled water for flavor.  I've been consuming the Crystal Light about 5 times a day, thinking it was a good thing, due to the fact that my water consuption was pretty high.  I also use Splenda to sweeten EVERYTHING!  Like others, I'm glad I came across this thread.  I will stop drinking the artificially sweetened drinks and Splenda, and will hope for good results.  Another perk is that I will now be able to save some moohla!  I have spent way too much money on skincare products in attempts to clear up the acne.
I experienced the exact same issue... Break out (mostly on my scalp and a few on my face, after switching to diet coke (not the normal kind made with aspartame, but a new diet coke product made with splenda) I havepreviously had the same issue with Aspartame. Nothing else in my diet changed, and the break outs started a week after I switched to the diet coke with splenda. Aside from the break out I had with the old diet coke, I havent had a break out in about 11 years since I was a teenager. Im assuming its the splenda, but it might be something else in the diet coke.
I'm a 31 year old male with type 2 diabetes.  A few years ago, I started drinking those flavored Aquafina waters, sugar free Powerade and home made iced tea with Splenda.  I noticed after a month or so that I was starting to get zits as if I was a teenager.  I couldn't find any credible studies online linking Sucralose to acne, but the proof was literally staring me in the face.  I now completely avoid anything with Sucralose in it and seem to have no problem whatsoever with aspartame, acesulfame k, stevia and any of the sugar alcohols.

I'm genuinely not biased against any of the artificial sweeteners - they make my life as a type 2 diabetic far more enjoyable.  I do, however, have a big gripe against Splenda:  It is obviously an allergen for some people and I'm concerned that it will end up finding its way into more products as time goes on.
I am 60 years old and have just started getting acne breakouts on my face.  After eliminating all other possible allergens (nuts, corn, shellfish) I finally quit my Diet Dr Pepper habit and within 2 days the acne cleared up.  I am going to wait another week then challenge my system with a diet drink with aspartame and see what develops.  Maybe not exactly empirical evidence but highly suggestive that the culprit is indeed aspartame.  If anyone is interested I will update this with the results.
I am 38 and I have finally figured out that it was the Splenda causing my bad break outs.  I had never had anything like this before.  I started drinking Splenda in my coffee and immediately I began getting these acne like hard bumps on my jawline and chin and smaller bumps on my forehead.  I couldn't get rid of them.  I tried over the counter ance creams and they did nothing to clear them up.  I kept getting new ones daily.  I could not think of anything that I had added new to my diet except for the Splenda.  Lo and behold, once I quit the Splenda, within a day or so, the smaller bumps disappeared and no more new bumps since.  Now I just have a few on my chin that are still healing.  But they have left terrible scarring. Not your typical acne that comes and goes and you can rid of  with benzoyl peroxide.    I don't care what anyone says, this stuff is toxic and if it can do this to your skin, makes you wonder what it is doing to your insides, that we can't see.   I hope quitting the Splenda cleared up your problem.  It certainly did mine!  I will never use it again.  Thanks to everyone for sharing.  
Oops, I meant to say that I hoped quitting the aspartame helped you.  Thanks!  
I jumped on the Slenda bandwagon when it first came out. I had an acne breakout and I never connected it with the Splenda. I ordered proactive and my acne breakouts went away. I stopped using proactive and my Acne started up again and then I went back to using proactive but this time        Proactively failed me but I continued to use it  anyway. My acne had gotten really bad where I was getting a new pimple every other day and the pimples were leaving scares and I use to have flawless skin, now at 40 I have uncontrollable acne. It was one day I mentioned my acne problem to a friend at my gym, she told me she had the same problem and she asked me if I used Splenda, I said Yes, she told me one she stopped using splenda her acne stopped, I am so thankful for sharing my story with her, I have been Splenda free for three weeks now and my Pimples have stopped and the      old ones are are clearing up.  I couldn't believe none product that I consumed in the daily basis in my decaf coffee had did so much damage to my body. I now drink my coffee black.
Sooo glad i found this discussion - I too started using Splenda a few months ago and have been experiencing acne breakouts on my chin and jaw area among other random places on my body.  As a young child I had issues with acne, but not as an adult, not until recently anyway, so I decided to completely cut all artificial sweeteners out of diet.  As of yesterday, I am artificial sweeteners free. I am going to slowly phase out coffee as well and switch back to drinking unsweetened (hot) Green Tea.    
I am 33 years old and have delt with acne for over 10 years now. Just this past year I have stopped eating/drinking anything with aspartame in it. My acne is now cleared up. Only scars are left I wish I had figured this out earlier in life. Artificial sweeteners of any kind are horrible for you body. A good replacement for artificial sweeteners is stevia.