Acne Community
Sudden breakout - help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Sudden breakout - help please

I'm 27 and over the past month I had this sudden break out, and practically the worst I've had so far. I normally get break out before my period is due, but this time it came after my period and it's way worse than before, and they kept coming. Can someone help me? I don't know what to do. I've tried Body Shop tea tree face wash, also tea tree oil spot treatment, benzoyl peroxide, sebamed clearface anti-pimple cream, clinique acne treament, and none worked :'( Anyone have any suggestion? I don't think I've been under more stress than usual, as for diet, I might have a slight decrease in vege intake, but no increased caffeine, or alcohol or sugary intake. I don't smoke, and drink occasionally. I only don't wear make up often, so everyday I use cleansing toner and moisturizer, and perhaps some sun screen (I use clinique for these).

Please help. I'm getting really frustrated with these acne.
Hi. Acne is caused by a sensitivity to the effects of androgens (male hormones like testosterone, found in male and female bodies). Androgens stimulate the sebaceous glands in the skin. Bacteria feed off this sebum, blocking the pores and resulting in inflammed acne spots.
Unfortunately, a healthy diet is not enough to stop this process. Whilst cleansing is important it cannot, on its own, clear acne. As you have found, over the counter products are of limited benefit. See your doctor for a course of oral antibiotics and/or a topical retinoid cream.
Female acne patients also benefit from taking an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Diane35 (Dianette in the UK) or Yasmin. The oestrogen and anti-androgens in these pills blocks the action of male hormones on the skin.
Skip moisturizer whilst you have acne, and make sure the sunscreen you use is an oil-free one.
Best wishes, Eloise.