Acne Community
Thinning hair and accutane

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Thinning hair and accutane

I took accutane 2.5 years ago at 80mg/day for 6 months. I have been off the drug for 2 years and made skin has cleared up great.  But now my skin is very dry and including a very dry scalp.  My hair was very oily and thick before i sued accutane and now it feels very dry and thin.  I've heard that my sebacuous glands will come back to there pre-accutane levels, is this true?  I really hope so b/c i want my oily hair back.  thanks
Hi. Accutane works by shrinking the sebaceous glands responsible for oily skin and acne. These glands grow back very slowly, by which time the patient has usually out-grown their tendency for acne.
For your dry skin I recommend products by Eucerin, Lutsine or La Roche-Posay. Eucerin also make a shampoo for dry scalp.
Eloise.
Avatar n tn
Thanks, but how long does it take for the glands to grow back? Because they havent grown back at all yet and its been over 2 years.  When the sebaceous glands do grow back, do they reach pre-acutane levels?