Acne Community
Thinning hair and accutane
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Thinning hair and accutane

Hi,
I took accutane 2.5 years ago at 80mg/day for 6 months. I have been off the drug for 2 years and made skin has cleared up great.  But now my skin is very dry and including a very dry scalp.  My hair was very oily and thick before i sued accutane and now it feels very dry and thin.  I've heard that my sebacuous glands will come back to there pre-accutane levels, is this true?  I really hope so b/c i want my oily hair back.  thanks
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
309783 tn?1271961829
Hi. Accutane works by shrinking the sebaceous glands responsible for oily skin and acne. These glands grow back very slowly, by which time the patient has usually out-grown their tendency for acne.
For your dry skin I recommend products by Eucerin, Lutsine or La Roche-Posay. Eucerin also make a shampoo for dry scalp.
Eloise.
Blank
Thanks, but how long does it take for the glands to grow back? Because they havent grown back at all yet and its been over 2 years.  When the sebaceous glands do grow back, do they reach pre-acutane levels?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Acne Community Resources
Top Dermatology Answerers
1340994 tn?1374197577
Blank
Caryopteris