Acne Community
Tretinoin for acne with seborrheic dermatitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

I have been trying to use the tretinoin cream my dermatologist rxed for my acne, but can't seem to get over the hump.  I've read that it can make things worse before they get better, and I don't know about the getting better part, but I definitely know about the getting worse.  I just don't have the tenacity to hang in there with it long enough to get better!  Every time it makes my acne worse, I chicken out and stop using it.  It's hard to believe that something so ... viscous? ... could actually improve my skin condition at all.  It's very thick and it takes a lot of rubbing in and still doesn't seem to "soak in" well.  :-/

I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, eyelids, and ears.  Is the tretinoin harmful to seborrhea and I should avoid getting it even close to the areas where the seborrhea outbreaks tend to occur, or could it possibly be helpful in some way?  (I know not to apply it by my eyes, but what about near the scalpline, in the eyebrows, around the ears, etc.)

Any tips on getting "over the hump" of it worsening my acne?  Might this mean that this isn't the right medication for me if I'm having this problem or should I just struggle through it?
Hi there!

Tretinoin is one of the effective medications that help in controlling acne. There are chances that it might or might not work on your skin; but for seeing the results you would need to try it. Along with the ointment it is also important to keep the skin clean and oil-free at all times, wash the face atleast 3 times a day with a mild soap, take plenty of water fruits and vegetables and avoid stress for best results.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!