Acne Community
Tretinoin for acne with seborrheic dermatitis
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tretinoin for acne with seborrheic dermatitis

I have been trying to use the tretinoin cream my dermatologist rxed for my acne, but can't seem to get over the hump.  I've read that it can make things worse before they get better, and I don't know about the getting better part, but I definitely know about the getting worse.  I just don't have the tenacity to hang in there with it long enough to get better!  Every time it makes my acne worse, I chicken out and stop using it.  It's hard to believe that something so ... viscous? ... could actually improve my skin condition at all.  It's very thick and it takes a lot of rubbing in and still doesn't seem to "soak in" well.  :-/

I also have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp, eyelids, and ears.  Is the tretinoin harmful to seborrhea and I should avoid getting it even close to the areas where the seborrhea outbreaks tend to occur, or could it possibly be helpful in some way?  (I know not to apply it by my eyes, but what about near the scalpline, in the eyebrows, around the ears, etc.)

Any tips on getting "over the hump" of it worsening my acne?  Might this mean that this isn't the right medication for me if I'm having this problem or should I just struggle through it?