Acne Community
Unusual Cystic Acne, after trying Tretinion and fish oil pills

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Hi, I really hope someone can give me some insight.  I have never had acne before, just small whiteheads here and there that I used BP10% on each night and by the time I left for China at 24 I had no acne issues.  Ever since moving here, I have started to get more small whiteheads on my forehead and chin.  I stopped using BP because I couldn't find it here, I was only using salicylic wash and lotion (2%) which did nothing for a month.  

I went to see a derm about this and she gave me Tretinion 1% and BP 5% (to apply at night and in the morning).  In the first month I saw a great improvement and started taking fish oil pills to speed up recovery.  Then suddenly after exfoliating (not supposed to on tretinion), the next morning I had two acne cysts!  And I've never had a cyst in my life.  This has continued with about 2 cysts a week for the past month and I'm completely helpless and scarred.  I have a very public career and can't even leave my house at this point, I lose money every day.  My derm said the cysts were not caused by Tretinion cream.  She put me on Zithromax 500g/day for 6 days and 250g/day for another 6 days.  I am seeing the cysts go down slightly but I can't afford accutane and someone like me shouldn't need it!!!  My only thought is it may be the fish oil.  I always have extremely oily skin.  Sorry for the length of this but I have no REAL (valid, educated) medical opinions here and I feel really alone.  Thanks.

-B