Acne Community
What cause acne ONLY on right side of face along the jawline

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Hello.
I have noticed that I only have acne on the right side of my face and no where else on my face. I also have some on my upper back and shoulders. I was wondering if it is due to any improper functioning of internal organs or any mineral/vitamin imbalance. If so what could it be? Who do I see about it? How do I investigate? and of course how can it be treated?
Some info that may be relevant:
I am a female, age 23. I have had acne since my teen years. I have two children. The youngest is 16 months old and is still breastfed. I only got my period back when my baby turned 1. I like spicy food and eat a lot of tomatoes and tomato products. I was told that the lining of my liver was too thick when I was a child. Have family history of stomach ulcers and gastritis.
Sorry, I don't mean to write a novel, but wanted to present some info that may (or may not) be relevant.
Thank you in advance,
Laly88
Probably just the side you lay on at night.. change your pillowcase a lot.. and scrub that side... you might even put the telephone on that side or lean up against your hand on that side.  Alcohol the telephone and anything else that touches your face.  I doubt its nutritional imbalance.. And How would they know that the lining of your liver is too thick unless they do a biopsy of the liver?  Did they do a biopsy of the liver?  IF not, let that notion go.. and try to relax.
Acne is caused by hormones and yours have fluctuated over the last few years by having children, and then not having periods for a while. Regardless of where the acne is it can be treated the same way but do not begin any acne treatment until you have stopped breastfeeding as it can pass into breast milk. There is no evidence that any foods cause acne, but if a certain thing does seem to cause you to react badly, cut it out of your diet. The person you need to see is a general practioner or a dermatologist. You could use a topical lotion such as Duac gel or take a course of oral antibiotics like erythromycin. You could also use an anti-androgen contraceptive pill such as Diane35 or Yasmin. If you are currently taking the progesterone only mini-pill that will make acne worse. Loilloi
I had a similar problem, the acne was on the right side of my face.  A dermatologist told me was the kind of makeup I was using.  I didn't get it because I thought it should be my entire face. But, I changed my makeup and started using a popular acne treatment and it worked.  I had acne in my teens, but it became a big problem in my 20s.
I have this exact same problem - the left side of my face is all broken out, but the right is clear. I can't figure it out, I don't sleep on my left side, I don't rest my hands on my face, I don't talk on the telephone using my left side - I basically leave that whole side of my face alone, and it's broken out. I change my pillowcases regularly and everything, so I know it's nothing environmental, I'm guessing it has to be something internal. I use the same face and makeup products over my whole face, so I don't understand why just one side breaks out. BUFFALOGIRL - what's working for you? What makeup did you switch to? And what popular acne treatment are you using? (Sorry to be a pest!) I never had acne in my teens but have been battling it the last 7 years of my 20's...
I have had a break out of horrible acne in the last 5 months. it has gotten worse and worse. i have broken out in the past because i have food allergies and when i eat those foods my face breaks out. but i was not eating those foods and my face became really really bad.
There's this incredible book called the body ecology diet (www.bodyecologydiet.com) i read it and it explains it. this woman was on antibiotics for 15 years for acne and when she started taking care of her body on the inside her symptoms went away! i have done this in the past and it worked really well and i am starting it again. it's about creating an environment inside your body so that the good bacteria and thrive and take care of your health. it is really simple and awesome. i think they sell this book at Whole Foods. this book also talks about all the diets out there and why parts of the diets are good but where they go wrong. this isn't about dieting though...it's about a lifestyle and about achieving health! i hope you will use the tools available to achieve health!
I too get acne on my right jaw line only.  I have noticed it appears when I have a urinary tract problem - when my kidney stones are moving around causing pain or when I get a bladder infection.  I usually take cranberry fruit pills and they clear up in a couple of days.  For real bad ones I take black walnut hull and it helps too.  I don't know if you have kidney or bladder problems, but if you do - this may also be an underlying cause for you as well.  Take notice to see if urinary tract problems also show up in a day or two of the breakout.