Acne Community
Why is my acne getting worse? I'm 17

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

Why is my acne getting worse? I'm 17

I'm 17 and I thought acne was meant to get better not worse at that stage, I wash my face 2 times a day, drink green tea, take 2 cod liver pills a day and the creams I have don't work, any ideas?
First, try to improve your skin health and overall health from the inside. Avoid sugar, fried, and processed foods high in saturated and trans fats. Eat lots of fresh vegetables, whole grains, and fruits every day. Salmon is excellent for the skin; you can buy wild salmon canned and make it like tuna salad for sandwiches. Also get lots of aerobic exercise.

Next, you need to wash your face every morning and evening with lukewarm (not too hot) water and a mild soap (glycerin). After washing and drying, swipe a Stridex pad (alcohol free, maximum strength) all over your face. Let air dry. Then use a light coating of benzoyl peroxide 10% on oily and acne prone areas. For large pimples. spot treat with a sulfur-based acne formula (like Clearasil).

Lastly, keep your hands clean (wash them often, use sanitizer) and avoid touching your face throughout the day.

Keep up this routine and you will be pleased with the results. But don't stop when you see improvement! Generally you will need to keep up your acne-battle routine until you are on the other side of adolescence. The good news is that people with oily and acne prone skin tend to age more gracefully in the long term.