Acne Community
can dental or sinus problems cause acne?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

i had a root canal done over 2 years ago, and every day i experience discomfort, if i dont take sinuc medication, it swells and gets extremely immflamed, im going on vacation and i want 2 look my best, they said there is no sign of infection dentist endodontists or sinus doctors, i get sinus pressure on the left area of my face especially above the molar with the root canal, and i keep getting pimples on the left side of my face, more than the right side, i even have swullon cheek that i can notice, which appears unidentified by others, but i feel they say this 2 make me feel better? any suggestions?
Acne is caused by oil, bacteria and hormones. If you're getting pimples ask your doctor for a course of oral antibiotics but do mention any other medications you are taking in case they are contra-indicated. Also invest in a good facial wash for acne prone skin. I'm sure people are not just saying things to make you feel better, you're in discomfort every day so no wonder you feel down about yourself.
Hi jonezzey,

I have a similar problem. A couple years ago, I had a pretty bad tooth infection. I was told I needed a root canal but couldn't afford it. I was on antibiotics to try and kill the infection. After a couple months of dealing with it, the tooth pain went away. But then I broke out really bad with acne just right above the tooth infection. I swear that the two are linked but my dermatologist and general doctor don't think so. Now I have really bad cystic acne and I've tried everything to get rid of it. I was pretty convinced it didn't have to do with my tooth but now I am definitely reconsidering that possibility.
Same as me.  My tooth chipped and lost its molar about a month or more then i started experiencing terrible acne problems. The worst acne is on the same side as my chipped, molar missing tooth.  I never went to see a dentist.  I'm finally going to see a dentist in a few weeks.  It's been over a year now since this has all started. I'm 32, I'd already gone through acne problems as a teenager, I do not need to go through it again.  
http://www.21stcenturydental.com/smith/education/acne.htm

I had a tooth infection and was taking the antibiotic for two days when my skin started to break out. I thought it was an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, but now am thinking it might have not been the case.
I have had many teeth problems in my life, I still need alot more work done but have not had the money.  My face has been breaking out for the last 4 months really bad! I have never had an issue with acne in my life! I swear it is related to my teeth! I think the infection in my mouth is causing the break out on my face.  Logically if we think about it it makes sense.
I had acne for 3 years (I am in my 40s) and tried everything - from dermatologists to regular doctors, changed my diet for example tried giving up dairy - no luck. gave up meat - no luck. gave up nuts, and on and on. Yet my acne was relentless. I would get pimples on my forehead, under my eyes, on my jawline and even on my eyelids. I had a root canal done a few years prior that I always had a low level of pain with. I never really thought much about it but finally went to the dentist and was told that I had an infection/abscess and that the root canal had to be redone. But in all the reading I had done on the internet there are a lot of holistic types that swear root canals are not the way to go and that in many cases they lead to problems with dental cavitation, infections, etc. So I opted to have the tooth pulled. within 2 weeks of pulling my tooth my acne was completely gone! I have no regrets about pulling the tooth and I can't believe after 3 years of acne is 100% clear! For some reason doctors, dentists, and dermatologists have no clue about dental infections and acne but I'm living proof that there is correlation.
Who the F hijacked this post besides you, moron !?!? All I see is people telling their story about their dental problems and how they feel their acne is related to it....Not one commenter asked a question or discussed anything that would require them to start a new thread...Get a life pal. Who do you think you are anyhow, the MedHelp Police Dept.???
I can taste the infection from my teeth when i try to pop my really bad zits its like the infection is trying to come out any where?
Did you have the tooth pulled any results?
WOW I just found this thread and wish I had 3 years ago.  I'm in my 40s too and had to have a root canal retreatment 2 years ago.  Then had to have it re-done again due to blocked root/infection.  At the same time I always had these weird face bumps that would show up when I eat something spicy or other strange things.  It was not acne but something very different and heat related, very random.  Went to GP, Derm doc and Immunologist, found nothing.  That tooth was fixed but then Endodontist finds another bad tooth with infection and gave me Amoxicillin.  Man talk about a bad deal.  My face completely broke out in pustules, it was burning badly and hurt like crazy, almost like a 1st degree burn since it turned into blisters on both cheeks. I thought it was an allergic reaction to meds but then saw this.  Got the 2nd tooth root canal and 2 weeks later my face completely cleared up.  I've even eaten hot/spicy foods the last 2 days and no bad reaction!!  There has to be a correlation!!