Acne Community
deep zits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

deep zits

I have had some problems w/ acne in the past, but its still not that bad.  all of a sudden, once i changed my schedule and the seasons changed, I have started to get some more acne.  overall, my face looks pretty good, but lately I have been getting very deep and large zits on my forehead and some on my neck.  I am not able to pop them and i know that it is not a good idea, but they hurt and once they go down finally, they still around for a couple weeks.  I have a couple on my neck that i believe calcified underneath and have been there for a few months.  Does anyone know what works to get rid of these and how i can prevent them?  It is really irritating because i am 24 and have not had this before, now all of a sudden my skin is like this.  I switched to neutrogena acne wash and i am using benzaclin and differin along w/ some oxy stuff for bigger zits.  I am not able to get into see my derm for a month yet because of school and i have not been getting a lot of sleep if that might be causing it as well.
Hi.
Acne is caused by raised levels of, or a particular sensitivity to the effects of androgens. Androgens are male hormones such as testosterone which are present in male and female bodies. Androgens stimulate the sebaceous (oil) glands in the skin. Bacteria feeds off this excess sebum (oil) blocking the pores and resulting ininflammed acne spots. Raised androgen levels are common during puberty but a sensitivity to their effects can occur at any time of your life. This is why most people outgrow acne in their 20s but some get it beyond this time.
Unfortuanetly, a healthy diet and plenty of sleep is not enough to clear acne. You are doing the right thing -using over the counter products until you can see a doctor. Continue with this then ask your doctor to about oral antibiotics which kill acne-causing bacteria on the skin.
Eloise.