Acne Community
lexapro/cipralex, acne side effect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

lexapro/cipralex, acne side effect?

Hi, I have been looking into over the last couple weeks if there is a connection between taking lexapro and acne. Being 30 and having fairly clean skin, I never had an issue with acne, except for when I was on lexapro last year.

I was considering going back on lexapro for 6 months, however my dr. insists the acne I have complained of from when I was on lexapro is not caused by lexapro although I am fairly positive it was. I had more breakouts than before and was left with scarring and am not quite worried about more scars and acne from this drug.

Has anyone else experience acne as a side effect or know of it?

Thanks,
Hi there!

Acne is not a described side effect of lexapro, though a few individuals do complain of acne while on it or in withdrawal. This is more likely to be due to stress and hormonal issues than actually due to the drug.
Hope this information is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,
Hi, I have the same problem, I have been on Lexapro on and off past 4 years and anytime I start taking the Lexapro my chest gets full of acne/zits and sometimes by back as well and my doctor insists that it's not from the Lexapro. I am 100% convinced that it is from the med and does not look good. Regards
I am looking on the web because I just started taking lexapro a month ago and am having the worst breakouts of my life. I am 36. I've always had breakouts but this is bad enough for me to go to the derm today then log on here. I don't know if I should stop taking it because it's working well otherwise :(  I hate switching!
Any updates since the last time you posted? I'm looking for advice