This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

rash

i used a product clearasil with benzoyl peroxide on my face. Previous to using the product i had  a small zit. I put the product all over my face and neck not thinking much of it and woke up with little bumps covering my face and neck.  Iam i having an allergic reaction. It looks like a rash. Also the product was old, possibly a year or more old could this cause an adverse affect. I since took a anti histamine and used hydrocortizon cream. Neither have made the rash go away although it does look somewhat better.  an you enlighten me
Hi. Clearasil products are quite harsh and i wouldn't recommend them unless you have strong oily skin. For the occassional spot i use ByeByeBlemish drying lotion which you apply directly to the spot rather than over the whole face.
Taking an anti-histamine and using hydrocortizone cream are sensible things to do in the case of hives or contact dermatitis. I would also use a gentle cleanser such as one by Eucerin whilst your skin is sensitized. If the rash does not clear soon or you develop any other symptoms such as swelling of the tongue or fingers or troubling breathing seek medical help as allergies can be dangerous.
Many cosmetic products now have use-by dates on, or say 6M or 12M to advice you how many months they will be effective for after opening so check for these. Loiloi xx