Acne Community
rectal yeast infection- male

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

rectal yeast infection- male

I have had a yeast infection in the rectum for almost one year and have gone to a proctologist, dermatalogist, and gastrointeralogist with no results. Can you help?
There was a time when I had taken a long course of antibiotics and birth control pills. This resulted in chronic yeast infections. I would basically have a really bad yeast infection for a month, it would go away for a few days, and then I'd get another one.
You said you went to a doctor, so I am going to assume that you do in fact have a yeast infection and not some other dermatitis thing going on.

I don't know if you are a man or woman, but generally, if you've already gone to the doctor and have been given antifungals with no luck, you should try natural remedies. They are all I use now for yeast infections (thankfully they happen MUCH less frequently since watching my diet and changing a couple things in my life).

Since this is your anus, I suggest sitting in a bathtub that is a comfortable temperature with about 6-8 drops of tea tree oil in it. Tea tree oil is a powerful anti-fungal. Sit in there for at least 20 minutes, a few times a day, and let some of the water go into your anus. This generally works for vaginal yeast infections, and I bet it would work for anal yeast infections also. I've known people who use raw organic apple cider vinegar in their bath to do essentially the same thing.

Take a probiotic. I take acidophilus. Probiotics are bacteria found normally in your gut (and vagina if you are a woman); they balance yeast and other bacteria in your body, yeast infections can happen when these are outta whack. Make sure you get probiotics from a place where they are in a fridge, you want them living and I find these ones work the best. If you do not want to invest in capsules, buy a good quality yogurt that says it contains bacterial cultures. Make sure if you eat probiotic foods (miso, yogurt, kerif..etc.), you also eat prebiotic foods to sustain the probiotic bacteria's life. You can find a list of both on the internet.

Food: avoid refined sugars. Yeast thrives on sugar. Avoid foods with other types of yeast for the time being that are also paired with alot of simple carbs (beer, wine, white bread). Avoid other types of fungus (mushrooms).

In fact, for probably a week to a month (since you've had your infection so long, maybe even longer), avoid sugar, yeast and fungus as much as you can (even avoid high-fructose fruits, you can find a list of low-fructose fruit on the internet); eat fermented foods (they are easier to digest, and contain probiotics). Increase your greens and leafy vegetables.

I drink cranberry/blueberry juice (not the sugary kind) and eat grapefruit when I feel a yeast infection coming on. When I have a yeast infection that has just begun, generally eating half a grapefruit in the morning will get rid of my symptoms and they will not return if I eat grapefruit for the next few days. Try eating grapefruit.

Sleep in the nude, or without underwear. Yeast are anaerobes, meaning they do not like oxygen. Get some air circulating!! Wear cotton underwear so sweat can move away from the infected area (or spend a day at home naked!). When coming out of the shower/bath, dry yourself very well, even use a blow dryer on cold to dry the area.

You can also try applying RAW honey or sugar-free plain yogurt to the area. These naturally have good bacteria in them, and this will clear up your yeast infection. Garlic is also very antibacterial and antifungal. For generations women have put a clove of peeled garlic in their vaginas for an evening/kept the garlic in for a couple of days until heir infection cleared up (usually 3 days so less).

If I get a really bad infection/when I used to get really bad infections, I generally use garlic with 2 drops of tea tree oil on it, plus the tea tree oil bath. I eat grapefruit and take probiotics.

(I won't suggest putting garlic in your rectum, but, it's just a thought if nothing else has worked. Given the nature of the colon, it shouldn't travel upwards... But, do what you are comfortable doing. Remember, I am not a doctor, just someone who doesn't go to the doctor anymore for yeast infections.)

Good luck! I hope your infection clears up... Yeast infections are terrible itchy hell. Generally, a yeast infection will persist if your diet and habits allow it to persist. Examine your life and decided what might have caused your infection in the first place (antibiotics, birth control pills if you are a woman, high carb diet, non-cotton underwear, etc.).

Once your infection clears up, keep up with the probiotics for a while... This will ensure that your infection doesn't resurface. Even if you don't want to buy capsules, simply eating a little yogurt everyday should do the trick. I hope I have been helpful.