Acne Community
side effects of Differin gel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

side effects of Differin gel

I am 34 years old, and 4 1/2 years ago I used Differin gel for some minor acne that I was experiencing.  Within a week of using the gel, my skin became extremely oily and I broke out in acne everywhere.  I stopped using it immediately.  I have been to 3 dermatologists, 2 naturepathic doctors, an allergist, and an endocrinologist since than and no one has been able to help/stop my skin from pumping oil.  I drink 80 ounces of water a day, eat gluten free, no sugar, eat plenty of vegetables...I have a green smoothie every morning, eat only fruit from the berry family, take a multi vitamin, chlorella and super greens, olive green extract, herbal teas, cod liver oil, and I have used natural products on my skin as well as proactiv (only used for 3 months).  I currently am washing my face only with distilled water in hopes that my skin will repair itself and figure out that it doesn't need to be producing all this oil. Before this my skin was never oily, and no one in my family has this problem so it is not genetic.  Everything points to the Differin gel.  I regret putting that on my skin.  Has this happened to anyone else, and were you able to get your skin back to normal?
Hi there!

Oily skin is due to increased sebum production which could occur secondary to stress, a few environmental factors, systemic medications, hormonal/ endocrine causes, metabolic issues, environmental factors such as pollution etc. Short term use of skin ointments is unlikely to result in prolonged oily skin. I would suggest avoiding stress and washing the face 2-3 times a day with a mild soap and keeping it adequately moisturized. For mild acne one could use ointments containing benzoyl peroxide/ clindamycin; while for severer ones it is best advised to consult a dermatologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your response.  I appreciate it!
Hello Dear,
Try to avoid using of chemical products. Apply some effective home remedies that will help you out.

• Cut the tomato and rub it on the skin. Leave on for fifteen minutes. Wash it off with water. This treatment is good particularly for oily skin.
• Apply Egg whites on face and leave overnight. Wash off in the morning.
• Mix 1-tablespoon groundnut oil with 1-tablespoon fresh lime juice to prevent formation of pimples.