Acne Community
swollen node from acne?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

swollen node from acne?

Hi…about 2 weeks ago I have infected acne on the right side of my forehead. It wasn’t badly infected. Couple of days later I have a swollen node on the right side of my neck. Although now the acne was gone for a long time, the swollen node still persists. It tends to be soft and doesn’t get any bigger. I also read it from here that the swollen node is very sensitive. So I guess it doesn’t help when I keep checking and touching it. My question is: is it possible that this swollen node occur from the result of small infected acne? & what are your recommendations on this swollen node? I have no other significant symptoms (no fever, no night sweats but occasionally fatigue…not like I can’t get out of bed..it’s like a bit tired sometime)

Thanks for all your opinions.
Stop checking and touching it as this will not help. If you are suffering from fatigue and have what could be swollen glands you should go to your doctor. hope you feel better soon.
I recently noticed swollen lymph nodes on the left side of my neck that got larger over about 3-4 weeks.  At first, I thought I was fighting something because I work in a hospital.  My acne has become more severe in the past 3 months.  I have cystic acne across my jawline and chin.  I found out recently in the past 4 years I have polycystic ovary syndrome.  It was masked by taking birth control pills and controlled my acne for over 10 years.  I've pretty much had acne since the age of 13 in all forms through the years.  I stopped the pill because I was trying to get pregnant.  When I don't follow a low carb diet and control my weight, my acne gets worse.  Ok, so that sets up the severity of my acne.  I went to the doctor and she seems to think my swollen lymph nodes are caused by infected acne.  So she immediately put me on antibiotics.  My current diagnosis is submandibular lymphadenopathy which can be caused by a long list of things.  In the meantime, I was referred to get an ultrasound to rule out my thyroid and awaiting blood test results.  My ultrasound found an abnormality in one of my lymph nodes and apparently I have multiple swollen lymph nodes just beneath my chin and in the neck area below that.  My thyroid turned out to be okay.  Based on my ultrasound, I was referred to a ear, nose, throat doctor for a second opinion and a possibly biospy via fine needle aspiration.  Like you, I have no significant symptoms and generally feel fine.  I too sometimes feel fatigued but I unfortunately don't get a good nights sleep.  I've been doing a lot of research and I have found information that acne can cause swollen glands.  But to be on the safe side, swollen lymph nodes means your body is fighting somthing, so get them checked out.  You could be fighting a cold, cough, or just chronically tired.  My scenario may be the extreme.  
Recently went to a dermatologist and she agreed with my primary doctor that my swollen lymph nodes due to acne are a strong possibility due to all the inflammation on the skin and infection from the breaks in the skin.  The dermatologist thought following up w/ the US & ENT was still a good idea to rule out anything else.