Acne Community
toothpaste burn

This patient support community is for discussions relating to acne and foods, scars, adult acne, blackheads, rosacea, and pimples.

toothpaste burn

I've had a hickey about 4 weeks ago on my neck and I rubbed toothpaste onto it a few times and ended up with a toothpaste burn, I went doctors and she gave me a cream called 15g Hydrocortisone 1% oyintment and the burn healed last week but the redness is still there it seems like it isn't going, should I keep putting the cream on or should I go back to the doctors?
Most superficial burns heal within about two weeks and don't usually leave a scarf. For these kind of burns; you can apply antibiotic cream and calamine lotion.It will prevent infection and help in fast healing. Use steroid creams only under your dermatologist’s guidance.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi there!

The redness is likely due to residual inflammation and should heal with time with or without some hyperpigmentation, which should fade with time as well. The hydrocortisone cream may not typically be required, though it is advised to keep the region adequately moisturized at all times. Consult with a dermatologist may only be sought if there is no improvement in 4-6 weeks or there are additional symptoms such as itching etc.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!