vitamins and adult acne
I am a 52 yr. old female.  For the last 6 years or so, everytime I start taking a multivitamin I get eruptions of hard cyst-like acne.  When I quit taking the vitamins it stops.  My general practitioner doesn't know why nor does my gynecologist.  I am suppose to take a multivitamin but feel my hands are tied.  What could be the cause and what alternatives might I have?  
This is unusual. Vitamins A, B, C and zinc are usually helpful for skin. When taken at the recommended daily dose, I am not aware of any vitamins which would induce acne.
Could you be reacting to one of the inactive ingredients, such as a colour or preservative in the tablet? Have you tried different brands?
What vitamins are you deficient in? Could you take these specific vitamins seperately rather than a multivitamin? Try each one to see which one is causing the outbreak?
Or eat foods rich in the vitamins you are lacking instead?
You may wish to ask the Dermatology Forum (which is free) or ask Dr. Rockoff in the Expert Dermatology Forum (for which there is a charge). I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Best Wishes, Eloise.