Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine Expert Forum
Can accupunture treatment heal chiari malformation

Welcome to the Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine Forum! This forum is for questions pertaining to acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, as they relate to adjunctive cancer care, preventive medicine, women’s health, sports medicine, post-surgery rehabilitation, addiction and fertility.

Since I posted my profile I have not receive comments, suggestions or anything on the condition that I have (arnold chiari). However in my story I mentioned that I am taking accupunture treatments and I have been getting better although some days its so difficult. All that I am asking is that,is it possible that accupuncture can heal this condition? I have not gotten much research done on this and I am wondering if this could be an alternative solution to this condition.

I was comparing the MRI repport I did in 2005 with the one I did in 2010 and I was and still stunned about what I discovered which triggered this question today. What I have noted is that in 2005 the report revealed that the level of this condition was approximately 20mm and the 2010 report showed 14mm. Could it be possible?I am not certain but it remains to be proven. I am now having difficulty in deciding about the opeartion as I think accupunture can be an alternative solution. If this is true then may be I would not be experiencing this now should I had continued with the treatments even if I was feeling better. I can only do another MRI scan after 3 years to assess this condition.

If there is anyone who knows something about this please talk to me.

Many thanks
Salminah
If your neurosurgeon and medical team want to operate (and I doubt they would suggest this if they did not deem it necessary,) then you can use acupuncture to help with the post-recovery phase because acupuncture (through modulating the immune system) can reduce inflammation.  As far as speculating as to whether the acupuncture has influenced your condition, I do not know.  What does your acupuncturist say?  Does he/she seem to think that there is a connection?  For a condition as unique as yours, it would be impossible for me to make an assessment without having had you as my patient and known your Chinese medical health markers (tongue, pulse) and knew all the details about your particular case.