Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Im trying to find some information for my dad..he was just diagnosed not too long ago and is on his 3rd set of chemo, hes getting sores in his mouth, he is all bruised up, hes lost alot of weight,,and my mom is a mess, im terrified, he just turned 71 so far his count isnt oing up and hes recieveing some kind of shots to boost it i guess, anyone know what the survival rate is? god do i want to know...i just want to know what to expect next..im devistated..anyone?
Hi.
I understand what you are going through.
The symptoms you mentioned are complications of the leukemia and its treatment.  The shots are given to improve the counts (in case his white blood cell count is decreased as a result of treatment).
White blood cell count, leukemic cell immunophenotype, age, Philadelphia chromosome, and time to complete response are the prognostic factors for acute lymphocytic leukemia.  
Please discuss these prognostic factors with your dad's hematologist.
Do continue to care for your dad.
Stay positive.
thanks so much! i appreciate the info..dusty
Hi  Dustypa,
I know all too well what you are going through. My 21 year old son has been diagnosed with Burkitts Leukemia and is about to start round 2 of chemo. He is experiencing all of the above symptoms and side effects you have mentioned. His whole gastro lining and inside of his mouth is covered with ulcers. My son  is also covered with so much bruising as well and has lost weight and hair. I know how you are feeling. I am a mess too and just devastated. If you or your mom wants to call me my number is 770-354-4299 just to talk. I will be happy to commensurate with you or her. I totally am going through the same thing. Even though these leukemias are different kinds, they still tend to get the same treatment.  Hope this helps. If you want to email me my email is ***@****.
just pray to God..leukaemic cell is a malignant cell..its depends on the body to stand for it..sometimes the complication of chemotherapy is more worst than the cancerous cell..it surely can damage the organ..cell..tissue..