Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Best thing to curve and Urge to get high...

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

I am trying to stop smoking pot. Been smoking for 15 years plus. I have SEVERAL very good reasons to, the first being that I want to do it for me, I am ready to move on with my life and grow.. I am having a very hard time not craving it. If anyone has any suggestion to help me out that would be great! I have tried playing the tape through, I have tried meditation and thought stopping techniques.. I need something more.. So please any ideas are welcome! Thank you so much!
hello and welcome. I too smoked pot for about 25 years off and mostly on.
I haven't smoked now for 3 years and I am 56 years old. I know for me what I needed to do was not be near it or have access to it.
with pot there is not really any physical w/d. I just found myself having a bad gag reflex and not eating as much for a few weeks after I stopped.
it is definitely a mental w/d.
how long as it been since you smoked? it does get easier as time goes on.
try to change what you did when you smoked or where you were. change up your routine.
I have just stopped, I have been trying for a while now but like you said with it within reach its so hard, and I am in a situation right now, I live with my SO and his family at this time so i have no say in what really goes on here other than to put myself in another room.. It is very frustrating and I am ready to claw someones eyes out, I want to scream. Anxiety, how long will that lasy? I dont like being uncomfortable in my own skin... :(
Unfortunately, it takes a long time to get out of your system. Until it is gone, a few months, you will crave. I know it's hard, but walk away when other people use  arouind you. Stay away from it. It does get better in time and you will feel much better when your obsession leaves you. Try going to NA meetings and find clean friends to do other things with. Go for walks, read, find a Na or AA group and go all the time for support. It helps alot. Keep busy doing other things you enjoy. Go to recovery program if you can, also.
Thank you for your advice. I am curently in an out patient treatment program 25 hrs a wk.. and I go to NA one night a wk, or as my schedule allows.. Its just so hard to be in the same house with it...
Good for you for being in outpatient, I loved it so much. It changed my life and I am so happy now. Life is so good. Tell those guys at the house to go outside, you don't want to breath it in. I hate the smell now, and can't believe I used to do it. It is so good being clean, like being out of a prison. I took that course in recovery How to escape your Prison. I believe they knew I needed it. It is for repeat offenders, inmates. It was tough on me, but I so much needed the hard ball. Life is great now, can go anywhere like a normal person, now for 19 months. Both my fiance and I cleaned up at the same time and he is extremely happy also. He prayed to God to remove his obsession and was able to stop. I needed more help, for my bad attitude and anger. I needed to learn how to care about things like a normal person. I also learned how to be in a relationship. They knew I never committed to anyone, I used to love being by myself. Now we are a team and get so much done together. Our houses and yards are all clean and nice now and we have lots of time left over for fun. Amazing what a person can accomplish in a day!! You should get two meetings in a week, don't get behind in meetings because it's too hard to catch up. We go to AA more, some NA but we love AA meeting because the program is so good. The twelve steps changed our lives. We get along with our families now because of it. We get along really good now too, it teaches us how to behave and how to treat other people. Changed our belief system. You take care and tell your roomates about the program, maybe it will chase them outside at least. Who knows, maybe they will follow your good example. Let me know how you are and how you like recovery.
Judy
I am attending NA and am very thankful for the 12 step program.. It is amazing.. Thank you!
Glad you like the program, I feel it sure can help keep a person growing and aware of the changes needed to be made in ones self. Also can make a new start with other clean and sober people going to meetings. I am happy for you.
Judy
good job. very proud of you for working your recovery.
stick with it. you will reap what you sow.
if you work it , it works,
good moving forward. you are doing awesome.
keep on keepin on.
very happy for you.
debbie
Thank you,.. It truly is a struggle thats no lie, and it is hard to remember to play the tape through and think **** through when you have a trigger or an urge but I am learning, even with my palms sweatting when I want to smoke and not.. I am here and I will be here... I can do this, even when I get sick from wanting it so bad I know that Iu am better than that I deserve better and I will give myself better!
Good going... Try to continue those 12-step program and completely get recovered from it..