Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Detoxing for awhile but still can't bounce back

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

Hi everyone, I tapered myself off of 10mg norco, 10mg time release oxy, and 5mg reg oxy. I have now been 5 days completely clean and I feel surprisingly better than I thought I would but the fatigue is crippling, I and full of panic attacks (used to have them before the opiates) and super depressed. More than anything, has anyone else had any sort of symptoms like this? This is the kinda stuff that makes me want to go back - oh and of course the severe pain that got me on all that stuff to begin with!! Any advice, experience would be greatly appreciated!
" I have now been 5 days completely clean and I feel surprisingly better than I thought I would but the fatigue is crippling"

I know what you mean. This may sound strange but try and fight your fatigue with activity. After I detoxed I would feel extremely fatigued however I would force myself to do some sort of exercise which helped. I would gain more energy. Try walking or something like that...it will help.

"full of panic attacks (used to have them before the opiates) and super depressed"

This is very normal and can continue long after detox. Depending on how long you were using, it may take a while to get better. Be patient and it will improve. In the mean time, you can try some natural remedies.

The herb Valerian root (Valeriana officinalis) is used as a sedative on the nervous system and a relaxant for the muscles (Reader's Digest, 2009, Pp128). It also helps with headaches, which can sometimes be a result of an anxiety attack. According to Mosby's the recommended dosage of Valerian extract is 400-900mg, before bedtime (2010, Pp592). It is recommended that Valerian not take with MAOIs.

The herb Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L.) is used as a sedative and it has mood-enhancing abilities(Reader's Digest, 2009, Pp73). The leaves are the part of the plant that is used and can come in an extract. According to Mosby's the recommended dosage is 80mg of Lemon Balm extract combinewith120mg Valerian root extract, tid (three times a day) (2010, Pp390).

The herb Kava (Piper methysticum) has a sedative and it is an anxiolytic (Skidmore-Roth, 2010, Pp.369). Anxiolytic is defined, by the Mirriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, as a drug that relieves anxiety. It acts directly on the limbic system, which is the parts of the brain that are concerned with emotion and motivation. According to Mosby's the recommended dosage of Kava extract is 45-70mg tid (2010, Pp370). Take it with a meal for increased absorption. It is also recommended that it not be given to children under 12 (Skidmore-Roth, 2010, Pp370).

The mineral Magnesium works as a muscle relaxant, which can be helpful to someone suffering from anxiety issues. The stress of anxiety can take it's toll on the shoulder muscles and the neck muscles. According to the Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements the recommended daily intake of Magnesium is 280mg (Murray, 1996, Pp161).

Although all of the B vitamins can aid in the calming of anxiety issues, vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) seems to be the most important because it helps to form chemical transmitters in the nervous system (Murray, 1996, Pp100). According to the Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements the recommended daily intake of vitamin B6 is 2mg (Murray, 1996, Pp101).

Hopefully you get some relief. I wish you the best of luck.

hi..
Thank god that you are clean for five days and hooray that you have done it for five days.. Keep you will power as same and try to be patient for recovering yourself.As the previous poster has suggested you some medication and i don't know about it totally. Consult your physician and use those medications..
All the best and continue  moving Forward and try not to go back..
It is good that you  didn't used drugs for five days. Keep up your determination. Do yoga or meditation or social networking is good for reducing depression. Talk to positive thinking people. Join any extra curricular activity.