Help and Guidance
I have a son who is a Herion Addict I have almost lost him several time what can I do to help him
hello and welcome. i know the heartache from having a child who is an addict. does your son want help? they have to admit they are an addict and want help. does he live with you or on his own?
he has overdosed?
have you been to alanon?
debbie
Hello
and Thank You for your response he is living from house to house and
yes he has OD 3-4 times he does admit that he is an addict today finally after
a tough weekend I got him into a methadone clinic that was the only help I could get for him I hear its harder but I cant do this any more , is the alanon
for me or Him?
Deb
hi deb, your welcome. i am glad you came back. there is alot of support here. many have been in the same situation as you are. we love our children and want to help them. we experience so much heartache,sorrow,hurt. we get used, lied to, stolen from, abused emotionallly. there is always hope..........
how old is your son? how long has he been using heroin? methadone is good to help heroin addicts stop chasing their drug. it helps to keep them level. methadone is a controlled amount of opiates, he should try not to take too high of a dose. when he is ready to get off of it it takes a long time to taper. it has to be done very slowly. please to try convince him to also attend counseling and/or aa or na while he is at the clinic. he needs to change the people,places and things associated with his use.
yes the alanon is for you. addiction is definitely a family disease it makes us just as sick as them physically,emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
alanon is for the loved one of addicts, it is a 12 step program just as aa/na is. it teaches us the we are powerless over the addiction, that we didnt cause it, we cant control it and we cant fix it. it helps us not to enable them. to give them tough love, to support their recovery not their addiction. there will be many there in the same situation as you. it will give you support and encouragement. we need to heal, we need recovery just as they do. try to take care of yourself, exercise, proper diet, counseling, church, a hobby. my 21 year old daughter has now been in christian rehab for 4 months. she is doing so awesome by the grace and mercy of my LORD. remember there is always hope.........
keep the faith......
debbie