Is this tramadol withdrawal?
Hi there,

5 weeks ago I had surgery on my spine and was prescribed tramadol as pain relief. For the first few days I took 6-8 x 50mgs/day for the pain but by the end of the first week I was only taking a couple here and there when I needed them.

After 2 weeks I didn't really need them so just didnt take any, but found that I couldn't sleep at all. Even taking just 1 50mg tablet relaxed me and made me comfortable enough to sleep. Initially I thought I must be in more pain than I realised but slowly I began to wonder if it was withdrawal symptoms. If I take no tramadol I'm fine all day but when I go to bed I am agitated and can't keep still, and I toss and turn all night. Most nights I have given up at about 5am and taken a tablet just to get some sleep, but I'm due to go back to work in a few days and I don't want to be dependent on it.

Last night was the first night I didn't take any all night, as my boyfriend wasnt here and I didn't need to worry about keeping him awake all night too. But today I feel awful, and I'm so tired I can't get up! I'm not sure if I can do another night of no sleep, especially with work looming, but if its withdrawal symptoms and they may go away after a couple of days then I'd give it a go.

I told my doctor I didn't want to stay on tramadol but i couldn't sleep and  she prescribed me codeine, but I don't have much pain now so I'm wary of starting a new opioid if I don't need it.

I suppose I'm just wondering if it is withdrawal symptoms (as I hadn't expected that from such a small dose), and if anyone has found a similar thing or anything that helped them to sleep? I didn't really have any of the side effects lots of people warned me about with tramadol so I'm really surprised its affecting me this way!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!
It could be withdraw but really it shouldn't last long your body is in wanting something you gave it for weeks , just bare with it and in a few days you should be ok....