Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Quitting drinking after drinking every day for over 2 yrs

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

I am trying really hard to quit from home. I have drank at least six beers everyday for over two years and well over 15 a day on the weekend. Before quitting I was having anxiety in the mornings and sick to my stomach. I stopped drinking on Monday and by Tuesday I was a train wreck. My husband had me drink 2 beers last night because he was afraid I was going to have to go to the hospital. I really want to do this but it is so hard and the emotional outburst and the shaking and anxiety is the worst. How long is there risk of seizures? How does valium reduce the risks of severe DT? or does it just help reduce the symptoms. I'm really not sure which is better, tapering off with beer or using valium to get through this. Please help.
Alcohol is not my doc, but I am an addict. I do know that valium is a benzo, and is also very addictive. I have heard of people having really bad w/d's from alcohol, so you may need to taper down, rathr than quitting cold turkey. Have you considered going to a medical detox? Ive heard that detox is much easier than quitting from home. That way, professionals can help you.
I have heard that also however as bad as this may sound.. I dont want anyone to know.. I have a job that puts me in the situation that many people know me and it could be bad for my career. I also have kids that I really dont want to leave. The w/d have been horrible I broke down and went the valium route. The shaking is just so horrible and I dont want to die from this.. Im trying so hard to get better. It just seems so far away. I want to feel good again, Im so sick of being drunk. I dont think tapering is for me because I cant just have one or two, its not possible. I have tried that before and 1 or 2 turns into 6 or 7 so quick. I just want this over this is so tough and I feel so alone
Your post has my heart aching for you and already I am praying for you and your family. I am an alcoholic with a very similar story as yours. My relationship with alcohol quickly turned into an abusive affair. What started fun and innocent turned dangerous and dark all too quick. It became painful to not drink and equally painful when I did. I wasn't a person anymore, I was a slave to the bottle and it kicked me down, hard.

My advice? An AA meeting. It might save your life. There are women who (like me) will know exactly what you are experiencing and will help you through your withdraws as well, without question. I have seen it time and again at my group, the DTs and sickness a person has after quitting. You don't have to go through it alone. And it beats using medications as a temporary band aid towards a very real, life threatening problem. You also mentioned you have children. They deserve to see you healthy and happy, not exploring how far down the bottle will take you. I will have you in my thoughts and hope you find the help you are looking for.  
Thank you so much! You are right in so many ways. It grabs you before you even know. I dont want my kids to grow up like this. I cant stand me anymore so how could they... I never realized that it would be this hard. I appreciate knowing there are others out there who know what I'm going through. My husband is very understanding but he is not an alcoholic so he really doesnt get this. This website is wonderful and it has helped me through the last few days.
That is wonderful to hear! Please consider a meeting nearest you. It was the most hardest thing besides drinking itself for me to do, but I am so grateful I did. Going to the rooms and gradually opening up led me to live sober and genuinely happy for more than 2 years now. It's there for those who want it, once again you're in my prayers and I hope you are seen through this!
I am an alcoholic as well as being a drug addict. The absolute safest way to stop is to go to an in patient rehab facility.  Using another drug to help you quit drinking could result in a new addiction. I had an alcohol/addiction problem for 7 years. I've been to one rehab facility and I just celebrated 9 months sober. There are trained professionals there that can help you get sober and stay sober and help with your withdrawals.