Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Rehab and the Bar

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

Rehab and the Bar

I am in outpatient rehab for alcohol.   I have not drank since July 6th and started the program around the 24th.   I went to the bar last night with friends and did not drink anything but soda.  My parents flipped out.  I would like to discuss in rehab but I'm now afraid I will get kicked since my parents said that will be the result.  Does anyone know if there is anything against going into a bar, NOT drinking, and being in outpatient rehab?   I know it is not something I will do often, but now and then to be with some friends?
hello and welcome. congratulations on your clean time. i dont think you will get kicked out of the outpatient program. i am sure you get random urines right? if you test negative there shouldnt be a problem.
the problem i see is that you are putting yourself in a situation where there is alot of tempation, not a place you should be when you are new to sobriety.there are also alot of triggers in bars that could cause you to drink. it would be easy to just think one is ok. do you see where i am going with this?
do your friends know that you are abstaining from alcohol?
did you go voluntarily for rehab?
is is possible to just see your friends somewhere else?
I did go voluntarily to rehab.   The friends I went with know and would have left immediate if I felt ANY need to drink.  I do see where you are going with it and I was very careful.  I was sober, having a good time until my phone rang and my parents were driving around my house.  I'm 30 years old, own my own house, have a good job.... and this is the only trouble I have ever been in.  They were at my house screaming at me like a child.  The counselor has already mentioned that my parents are putting to much stress on me and has asked if they trigger me to drink.  I really want to talk to her about it, but I'm afraid.
Oh and I'm going to request a drug screening Monday.   I looked for a place I could go over the weekend and it is tough to find a place open Saturday and Sunday.  They said when I called around that they could trace back to Friday on a urine test if I did it on Monday.  
Have your parents gone to alanon? Have they spoke with or been to any of the family sessions at your program? I understand your parents concern for you. you should explain to your parents that you are a grown man and you have to work your own recovery. You appreciate their love and know they want the best for you but they need to step back. Its ok to tell them that their yelling at you like a child isn't healthy for them or you.  Talk to them soon ok? You don't need the anxiety and stress building up.
Sending encouragment an dprayers
Debbie
I have had my parents come to my first and only so far rehab with a family night.  The next night, the counselor talked to me about them and wanted to do a meeting with the three of us as she fells they could be a trigger.   My parents (mainly mom) believes she knows best and I have tried to talk to her about the fact that talking to me like a child doesn't help me.   I went to AA this morning and brought over controlling parents up as the topic of discussion.  I am going to tell my counselor about the weekend events and allow her to have a private session with my parents and I.   I have come to realize that I may need to distance myself from them and need the counselor to reinforce what is best for me.  Oh, and I'm a 30 year old girl.
sorry your profile says male. please encourage your parents to attend alanon, it is for the loved ones of substance abusers.
for your recovery you might need to distance yourself from them for a season. when you talk to them an option would be not to talk about the specifics of your recovery. ask them to respect your privacy at this time.
your parents shouldnt be doing a drive by to see if you are home or not.
i think a meeting with you,the counselor, and your parents is definitely in order.
your recovery and sobriety comes first.
take care of you
debbie
Because you initiated you treatment, i would say that you are probably safe. I mean you're gong to have to live in a world with alcohol. Keep being honest with yourself and your friends, stop and get out of where you are if you have temptation, otherwise, enjoy the band and your buddies. It has been done before. Just continue to be honest with yourself.
Considering you are new to sobriety the bar is not the best idea. You shouldn't get kicked out of out patient but you could definitely be asked to move to intensive out patient or even in patient since going to the bar is a sign that you may be subconsciously planning to relapse.