Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Sober Living

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

Sober Living

Can anyone share with me what Sober Living places are the best?  I live in NC....but don't mind traveling to another state if need be.  My son is in rehab right now and we are looking at our options.
hi how long is your son staying in the rehab? how is he doing?
I forget did he go in through your insurance?
Hi,  he was supposed to stay 6 weeks and he only stayed 3.  He did not leave because he was not interested in the program, he was actually doing very well....but his counselor began a discussion this past Monday morning about his "after treatment" plan.  In other words, where will you go after rehab.   The counselor's recommendation was for him to go to a sober-living environment there in GA, where his rehab was.  My son was NOT wanting to stay in GA, he has no family there and he knew that they were talking about this being for one year.   SO....he left rehab.  He is now home, doing well so far.  He is attending AA meetings and we are looking into an outpatient intensive program to pick up where the other left off.   This was why I was asking about sober living places....I knew he was not wanting to stay in GA.
I am sorry he left after only 3 weeks. That is a very short time. Recovery definitely takes a good year. He definitely needs to be very proactive with attending meetings. An intensive outpatient program 3 or 4 days a week is very good. They are educated in addiction, learn coping tools, they talk about triggers and how to deal with them. Most also use a 12 step program.
They get urine tested there also. I think most also incorporate individual counseling sessions into the program. Most also have a family night.
How are you doing? Have you gone to alanon meetings?
Be careful. Don't give him to much trust or freedom yet.
Sending hope, prayers, encouragement t and prayers,
Debbie
So far so good Debbie.  He is doing great at home....so far.  I'll keep you posted.
The fact that he left treatment should worry you. Encourage him to return if you can. Our addict wills are tough to break. I would encourage him to listen to the experts and doWHATEVER they say even if out of town. I went to another state for a year and it changed my life. It was sooo the right thing to do. Good luck! Hit alanon for yourself as this is really tough on the families. Good luck!