Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
Stopping Valium
About This Community:

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stopping Valium

I have been taking 10 mg of Valium (5 mg in the morning, 5 mg at bedtime) for 2 years for a condition called costochondritis or some people know it as slipped rib syndrome.  The purpose for the valium is to help keep my muscles somewhat relaxed so that they don't tighten up as that results in spasms and then it affects my ribs where they will displace.  I see a chiropractor to have the ribs treated and adjusted and that has helped.  The valium has helped, I was afraid to take it at first and would only take a half a dose in am and half a dose in pm but it wasn't doing anything and the rib pain and spasms was so uncomfortable so I finally took the med as prescribed and it did help considerably.  Now I'm curious to see if, two years later, even though the ribs still displace, if I can cut back on the Valium and try to just get off it and see how my body responds.  I've gotten a little bit stronger since two years ago to where I can do light stretching and light exercises to strengthen my back muscles more, which is important with this condition.  I've read more and more online how bad it is to stay on something like the Valium as I have for 2 years.  I take no other drugs (except Advil) or medications whatsoever. I also do not drink alcohol.  Is 10 mg a day that much of a dose to be concerned about stopping?  I started cutting my 5 mg pill in half at night 3 weeks ago and feel fine.  I'm now starting to think about cutting my am dose to 2.5 mg and try that for another 3 weeks.  Question is what about my evening dose?  My 5 mg pills are scored in the center so it's easy to cut them in half.  What do I do about the 2.5 I now take at night? Do I quarter that pill and try that for another 3 weeks and then in 3 weeks follow same for my morning dose.  At that point when do I know its ok to just stop the medication because it seems like such a small amount at that point.  Do I take the quarter pill for another 3 weeks and then alternate every other days for a bit and then just stop.  I've read too many scary things about seizures happening etc and I'm a busy mom who doesn't want anything scary to happen.  I just want to see if I can stop the Valium and see how my body feels in dealing with this rib problem.  I've never in the 2 years had to increase the total of 10mg a day except if I displaced several ribs and my chiropractor told me to take an extra half to one 5 mg pill a day for 2 extra days so my muscles relax and things calm down and then I went right back to the regular prescribed amount.   I'd really appreciate some advice on how to do this and by taking 5 mg in morning and 5 mg at night how do I safely reduce the amounts.  As I mentioned I already cut down the 5 mg evening to 2.5 mg and it's been 3 weeks and I'm sleeping fine, feel fine.  I always wake up stiff and sore and ribs hurting so I don't think cutting down to the 2.5 has made that any worse.  I guess I'll find out fast enough if I cut down the morning 5mg to 2.5 if my muscles just start to spasm up again.  If I go back into that cycle of muscle spasm and ribs being pulled then I'll just take the Valium and life is what it is.  I've tried others meds, Flexeril made me sleepy and didn't help much and I didn't like feeling like that around my family, Skelaxin was tried and that did nothing for the muscle spasms but made me feel incredibly anxious and I stopped that after 3 weeks.  Next they tried Neurontin for "off label" use to help with the pain but at the time knowing was addressing the fact that the pain was from the viscious cycle of muscle spasms and then my ribs being displaced (BTW this is all the result of being rear ended while at a red light...never had a back/rib problem before that)  The Neurontin is a horrible medication at least for me, did nothing to help my rib problem and I had a horrible reaction to it.  My GP finally said let's just try Valium.  It had no side effects for me, no sleepiness, never felt the need to increase it unless my doctor or chiro said to after an adjustment, etc, and it alleviated the muscle spasms to a much lesser degree.  

You may wonder why I want to stop, I guess I'm just starting to feel to self conscious taking it and want to see if I can help myself with this rib condition without it.  But I want to know if I'm ok just halving the two doses each day for a few weeks and then taking a quarter size of the pill for a few more and then just stop???  I've read so many forums about this but people are on such higher doses than myself, so I don't know what is best to do to just try and stop the 10 mg a day I do take?  (Well right now I'm at 7.5 mg total because I cut the night dose in half).   I'd appreciate opinions, advice as to being safe in stopping this med or at my dose will I really suffer the scary side effects I read about especially seizures if I take it wrong as I reduce it?  Thanks!