Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
What can I expect at an alcohol rehab?

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

What can I expect at an alcohol rehab?

I am wanting to get my husband into an alcohol rehab center.  What rehab centers would be best for him?  We live on the west coast, but I am open to even arranging something out of state if needed.

It depends whether the rehab has medical detox wing . Or whether they have u off the alcohol before u come in. There will be alot of entensive group thepry along with individual therapy.They also should be teaching him how to live sober when he leaves .Then before  he leaves make sure they have him in a strong aftercare recovery program because addiction doesn't stop after rehab its a life long program . good luck let us know how it goes .
Do they usually keep them for 30 days or 90 days or does it all depend?
hello and welcome to mh.
the stay can be as short as four to six weeks or as long as several months to a year, depending on the severity of the addiction. Inpatient alcohol rehab is beneficial for those who are severely addicted or who have had trouble succeeding in other treatment settings in the past. has he ever tried to quit on his own before?
hope this helps some
debbie
I'm sure other will come along and say the same thing I'm about to say...

Inpatient rehab is great, and part of the recovery process, but there's a lot more to it.

A) He has to WANT it
B) After "rehab", he MUST attend some type of aftercare

Whether it's daily IOP (intensive outpatient), or daily meetings, or drug/alcohol/addiction counseling, or an addiction therapist... Aftercare is the most important aspect of recovery, in my opinion.

Anyone can stay sober in a rehab facility... it's the AFTER-Rehab part that seems to thwart people.

I went to Memorial Hermann PaRC (in Houston Texas) and had a great experience. 28 days of inpatient (7 days of detox, and 21 days of residential), then attended a YEAR of Saturday morning AfterCare (that they offer, included in the price of the inpatient treatment), as well as 4-5 meetings a week.

Does he WANT sobriety? That's the first step... admitting he's powerless and needs help, and willing to seek & get help.
Thanks so much for the comments, and yes he does actually want help.  He can go a week without alcohol but he gets the shakes severely and he ends up going back to drinking just to cope with it.  In a rehab do they check for any damage they might have in their body?  I wonder if his liver has suffered from this.
Hun, I don't know why you are waiting on this. If you have insurance, get him into a treatment center. The shakes are not a good sign and detoxing on his own can be dangerous. Alcohol is one of the substances that can produce seizures. This is nothing to fool around with.

Certainly it is your choice to decide if he is going to a detox center or a treatment facility but I do suggest the treatment facility. The detox center will simply take care of the physical issues by giving him Librium which will help with withdrawal symptoms. But then what does he do after that? What is to stop him from drinking again? The treatment center will help him to learn new behaviors and coping skills so that he doesn't run to a bottle for the answers to life's problems. That is not something he can learn on his own---he needs help.

The longer you wait, the worse it is going to get. Please make a decision and do something now.

I wish you both the best and will say a prayer for you.
I agree with IBK this is not something to wait on . she is right shakes are not a good sign he will not get better on his own .plz not wait ...Let us know what happens
Thank you so much for the information and the encouragement.  I think we are getting close, he seems to be close to a bottom and is realizing that he cannot do this alone.   He literally needs alcohol at this point just to function, just to not shake.  I will keep everyone posted on this thank you so much for the support, it's been a real roller coaster this past week.
I have been there.  To the point I could not sign my name.  I would say he needs help that he is comfortable with.  There are a lot of options--individual counseling, AA, other support groups, inpatient treatment, etc.  He needs to call his doctor or a psychologist for direction;  I pray that he will do well.
I think what is starting to make him realize that he needs help is that he is not able to go to work unless he has a few drinks before hand to calm down the shaking.  I'm surprised his employer doesn't realize this, but then again he has been doing this for so long they probably know it as a normal for him.  I am wondering if getting him in to our family doctor to get an outside diagnosis of his condition would help kind of direct him?
Hun, we are trying to help you here but it has been two weeks since your original post and you are still not doing anything about the situation. You are still wondering about what you should do and he is getting sicker by the day.

Do you not understand that the "shaking" is a serious sign that something is wrong? Again, alcohol detox can produce seizures---it is very dangerous! Anyone who has to have a few drinks before going to work in the morning is in trouble. His body is trying to tell him something. And, a few drinks back to back slows down the bodies ability to metabolize the alcohol, so there may be damage to his liver at this point--or he is well on his way. He is also drinking and driving and while that is a separate matter, it should be of concern to you.

Get him to the family doctor then---get him somewhere. He is very sick and he needs help! If nothing else, get blood work and get his liver tested. Be sure to be honest with the doctor---don't sugar coat it. This is serious.

Let us know how he is doing.

Is he ready for treatment.  Does he want treatment.  If so he is ready to start.  You need to talk to a alcohol counselor at the nearest health department or alcohol and substance  abuse center.  They will help you find what he needs once he is evaluated.  I went to a 28 day program twice, but the second time I was ready to quit drinking. Ive been sober for a while now. remember one day at a time,  Let go let a higher power, And the program will work if you want it and work it.       You can do it.

You can expect good people to greet you at the door.   Some people that work in a treatment center have been were you are at trying to get help for someone.     Just go on and get enrolled and the rest will take care of its self.    There will be good food clean area for resting after classes and television.   Clean restrooms and rooms were you sleep.   So don't wait get on in if you need help contact one of the leaders in AA they will help you get in.   Health department will help also the have trained staff there.    
Sorry everyone I been so quiet, this last week has been a crazy one.  One minute he feels ready and he wants help and the next minute he is drinking and saying that his problem is really not that bad.  It's been a roller coaster.  I have hope one second and then feel like it's lost the next.

I didn't think of contacting some of the AA leaders in our area, didn't know I could technically do that.  They might be able to reach him in a way that I can't.
If he could speak to an AA leader it would be great.... I remember my first meeting and a room full of people 'like me' - they have been through exactly what your husband has. You listen to them because they have lived what you have.  It would be ideal if he would go to a meeting and just listen if he would.

Would he go to a meeting?
The first question you have to ask is whether his recovery would best be served in a 12-step or non-12-step setting.  There is a measure called the locus of control test which can help people to decide which type of treatment plan to embark on.  People with an internal locus of control (I decide my own destiny) do better with non-12-step while people with an external locus of control (my fate is determined by what happens to me) usually do better with 12-steps.  Here is a link to the test.

http://www.psych.uncc.edu/pagoolka/LocusofControl-intro.html

Also, there are options as far as how to go about getting a loved one into treatment.  I'm a big advocate of CRAFT (Community Reinforcement and Family Therapy) which puts an emphasis on positivity and support in getting a loved one into treatment, as opposed to guilt and coercion.  Here are a couple resources on CRAFT.

http://www.practicalrecovery.com/pr/services-2/intervention/craft-2/
http://www.hbo.com/addiction/treatment/371_alternative_to_intervention.html

Hope this helps!
Hello all....
Im wondering if anyone can help me?
I have come across this website and amazed that there is more to this than i thought, i really dont think there is anything i can do to help the love one in our family(she is the most stuborn person i know)

I know this isnt gonnab easy but where do we start? how do confront her?
Who should b there? where should we be? what do we say?

please!!! Help me to help her
hi.. As far i know there is good rehab center in CA where i find many people giving positive result about the center. they provide hygienic and family environment oriented recovery  programs which will be very helpful to your husband.The name of the center is South coast recovery.
hi.. Check for a State licensed highly structured program with a world class staff rehab centers because your husband may not find any bad experience from rehab programs..