Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
how can I quit my pain pill addiction

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

how can I quit my pain pill addiction

Hi im 24 years old I'm married to a wonderful husband that does everything for me. But since I have had my addiction we fight all the time because my addiction especially when i start getting low. Because i start to panic and my anxiety goes up and he starts making me mad. Because im not worried about what he says im worried about my next pill. Then i have a beautiful daughter our life is great besides im addicted to hydrocodone. I don't have a prescription so its what ever hydro's i can get i take about 5 to 6 a day. And i stared my addiction 4 years ago when i started to have bad back pain. I have a bulging disk from a upaderal when i had my child and now its worst from picking up heavy stuff. Anyway im just trying to figure out how to quit my addition i know i need to quit for myself and my family. I just don't know how or were to start if i need to tapper off or quit cold turkey. I can't go to rehab cause i have a child to take care of i just don't know where to go or what to do. Also I need to know what to expected with the withdraws i have experience alittle of it when i can find someone who has them. And that's why im really scared to go though this i have a family to take care of. And im worried about the pain, diarrhea,throwing up, sweating, shaking and ect. Please help me with this and help me get my life back with my family. And be there for my daughter as she goes through her child hood and be there for her for school and events. And quit spending alot of money every month so we can save money for a house and so we can just have money period. Also i would love to not have to worry about my health and my next pill so i can be there long term for my family.      Thanks!
Hi Mom, congratulations on a wonderful family. I think you need to talk to your doctor about going through withdrawal, and go to and outpatient clinic so that you can learn how to fight this addiction. You may need to talk to a Pain Management Doctor at the Rehab to find some medication that can help with your chronic pain. The right kind of exercise often helps and you can learn that through a Physical Therapist. There is much to do for you in addictions counseling . Take the time to do it now, and you will be free of this addiction. Plan to go to aftercare, which includes NA. Have your husband attend Narc-Anon so that he can help you with your addiction. This is serious and you need to take it seriously, and do what we all have done to get clean and sober, You can do this, we are here to support you. You are not alone!!!
Thanks so much for the support first off and i will definitely look it to it for sure. I just need to figure out my first steps im gonna makes some calls first thing Monday morning. Oh and its great to know im not alone it really means alot and for me to go through this im gonna need all the support i can get.
Hello

Two things I would make sure I would do:-

Make sure you have enough pills at hand until up until the date you have decided you want to stop. There is no shame in addiction !!!!!  It is not fun !!!!  It might start out as a fun, but once we have become addicted we need no hassle in our life. The hassle of chasing pills and lying is hard work which we can do without. And so first step I made was to ensure I had a sufficient pills at hand.

The second step, for me, was to fix a date I was comfortable with ...not anybody else. Fox a date and plan by seeing a sympathetic doctor. I used a strong sedative for a few days with paracetemol and ibuprofen to get throught the W/D.

Good luck, Vince  
Well you can also get off by taking suboxon, me and my fiance did about 2 years ago..? We started taking suboxon and took it for about a year and a half, we started at 8 miligrams each wich is half of what the doctor tried to start us out on! unfortunately to our surprize getting odf od the suboxon was beyond hard just like getting of the drug! So of course we thought lets take some pills for a little wike to get off the suboxon, but we over did it got addicted again and then I got off by tapering really low and then taking methadone for a few days and then sleept a lot and took anxiety pills to relax my body..... he on the other hand has work that he couldn't miss so he got back on saboxon he wants to fight it later again and try to grt off
But he fogured the positive outweighs the negative, some people never get off of suboxon and some never even try but what I wouod do if I where you! Is call a suboxon doctor and have him work out a short time plan with you! Like taper off before it gets to much in your system! Good luck to you I hoe some of this helped for you I have a lot of sympathy and really hope I helped!
Hun i am in the same boat!! Its soo scary i cant go to rehab either cuz i have a full time job and a three yr old daughter plus i dont want my family to know cuz ive had many problems in past.!! Its soo scary i dont know where to start either! Best of luck to u!!
I have a question about suboxone. I am addicted to oxycontin. It started a little over 4 years ago. I havegot off of them twice w suboxone. The first time I was up to almost 500 mg a day. As well as 90 10mg percs a month. Personally I dont feel anyone should EVER be prescribed them (oxys) unless you have a terminal condition or they plan on keeping you on them the rest of your life.anyway, the first time I got off of them I was clean for a little over two months and the second time a little over a month. My problem was and is this. I have absolutely no energy, drive, motivation and become completely withdrawn. Being in sales this doesn't work too well at all and I relapse. I personally don't understand how anyone could get addicted to them as they do NOTHING for me otherthan I don't go thru the God awful withdrawals. This last time I was only up to 160-200mgs a day. I've only been off of them for a week this time but it HAS to work this time. Its destroying every aspect of my life. Question is this, does anyone have any idea how long it takes for your brain to " re wire" itself and become like it was before the first pill was ever taken? Will I EVER be back to where I was before I started this miserable journey?

John ...I had to treat the addiction I had to Morphine like any other real illness. In other words I had to put time aside to deal with it, once I was certain I wanted to stop.

For example, I had to take time out from work, even simple chores I don't think twice about doing today.

The brain does snap out of the lethargy and emptyness and the best way I found of helping the brain do this was with an anti-depressant until the Morphine and Oxy's left my body.

I remember also thinking once I had stopped how I would never be back to being ordinary and able to run about etc etc etc. That is the trick of addiction ...it makes a person beleive they will always be in the state they are in ....but the state passes .

Be kind to yourself and maybe consider from your doctor a strong sleeping med and anti depressant.

Vince

Im going to be brutally honest with you and Im not fully aware what Im going to say yet, haha, but please if I say anything you dont like dont be offended.

Im your age and I was married to a wonderful man that was very good to me. He had two kids that lived with us and called me mommy and their mother was there and gone and there and gone again....not very consistant at all. My husband and I were addicted to Opana. We were injecting. We had the money for it and we both got a prescription every month. We never pawned or stole anything and the kids never did without....they never saw anything...nothing. Their mom was actually trying to get them back, but the guardian ad litem said after speaking with the kids that there was no way in hell they would be taken from us. That we were mommy and daddy and the kids were well taken care of....we were addicted, but we werent like what you think about when you think about junkies...or what i think about when i think about junkies.

My husband died on our 5th anniversary. The morning that we were married for 5 years he left me. He had sarcoidosis which is a lung and heart disease and it slows your resp system way down...so does the Opana. He went into Cardiac Arrest and I tried so hard to bring him back, but I couldnt. I tried til the paramedics pulled me off of him. It was the worst thing Ive ever experienced.I watched the love of my life die in my arms. I told them what we had been doing and they searched my house and I gave them everything that we had. Our script bottles and syringes.

Ofcourse they didnt take me to jail or anything...they left me there at the house and I called family to come get me...I didnt want to be alone in that house and I was in no shape to drive. The kids were automatically given to their biological mother...I have no rights to them. I rarely get to see them, but when I do they always ask when theyre coming home that they want to live with their mommy....why cant they live with me and it breaks my heart not to have them, but its hurts even more to know that they dont want to be where they are and theres nothing at all I can do about it or to help them. 2 weeks later i found out I was pregnant when I went to the doctor to see why I hadnt been ovulating...3 days after that I miscarried. Doctors said I wouldnt have carried past the first trimester bc of certain female problems I had going on.

The day my husband passed away was the last time Ive done anything. I just quit, Like I said i gave everything to the cops and I still had all of my numbers in my phone, but the 2 ppl I bought from I talked to them and they agreed tht if I called them theyd work with me and wouldnt give me a thing. I never called though. I went through it all....diarrhea, shakes, throwing up, aches, antsiness, hullucinations, no sleep and when I did sleep for 5 or 10 minutes I had very crazy vivid dreams....usually when going through WD its about the drug that you dream about bc from what doctors say its whats the most stressful at the time, but I dreamed about my husband dying over and over. It was the worst time of my life.

Im telling you all of this because that could be you. Could you imagine leaving this world and having your child and husband go through everything I went through with losing my husband? The 2 ppl in the world tat you care about the most....could you imagine hurting them that bad? I lost my whole entire family and I realized if I could go through and come out of that that I could do anything and as hard as it was....WD had nothing on that.

Youve gotta WANT to do it though. Its going to be hard and the first few dyas is hell, but after that...it keeps getting easier and you just keep your faith and your love for your family and remember not only are you doing it for yourself but for them as well....youll breeze through it. Your husband needs to be sympathetic and helpful when you go through it though and understand that its not YOU. You are going to throw tantrums in the midst of it, but he needs to remember that its not you and getting angry hurt or upset will just make it worse.

Find you a good doctor if you are serious about stopping and if you show your sincere and ready to do this he will prescribe you something. Librium is actually for alcoholics, but it helps. Doesnt take it all away, but it helps.

DONT do the methadone or symboxine whatever its called....its just a substitute and in the end youll just be addicted to that. Good luck and if you want to talk or anything just let me know. Whatever I can do to help id be more than happy to...and i hope this was at least a lil helpful

sleeping aids would also help, but a doctor will be VERY hesitant to prescribe you anything thats the least bit addictive....that includes any other pain pills, sleep aids, antidepressants etc....just keep that in mind...over the counter sleep aids arent as effective but it will help i guess. i didnt try any of them, but it couldnt hurt....just be careful and smart about the whole thing...
Xanax helps with withdraws and sleep don't abuse it. But it's not an opiate so you still have the withdraws but I was taken 12-18 10 mg a day if I'm going to quit I'm going to do it the fullest and I got a taste of the craving I needed a edge Xanax did help me. Still be hard but 10x easier than without it.
If you think you are strong enough to taper than you should do that.  I tried to taper but it never worked because I wasn't strong enough to resist so I quit cold turkey.  You should try to get into a outpatient or inpatient clinic, it really helps alot.  You said you have a child, I have 3 and thought I couldn't go to detox but once I told my husband, friends and family that I wanted help they were so happy and helped so much with the kids.  I know you think its impossible to go to rehab but it will be so worth it.  I know its hard for you to be away from your child to go to detox, but you need to realize if you keep taking pills you end up being away from your child twice as long because in the end the road addiction leads to his jails, institutions or death.  I wish you the best of luck.  Keep posting it helps alot.