Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
is he an alcoholic?

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

is he an alcoholic?

So i have a bf of 3 years & i noticed he's been drinking alot lately. He likes drinking beers everyday , which i honestly dont like. I tell him "damm you're always drinking. Are you sure you're not a alcoholic?" he said "maybe i don't know" he said "drinking just one beer everyday doesn't necessarily means i'm an alcoholic"
& even yesterday , i went to go his house afterschool & he came close to me & i had to smell his disgusting breath of alcohol! I got mad & asked him why?! He's like "because i haven't drank in a week. It's been a while!"
& ughh , it just gets me sooo mad ! But i only get mad if he drinks without me. We drink during the weekend to have a little fun, but he continues & it gets me fustrated.
I just wanna know , can he be an alcoholic?
hello
jus wanted to say, up osted in the right spot, ull get alot of responses on this question. Also the definition of alchoholic, tend to be a little subjective. My idea of an alchoholic from the next person may not be the same. With that being said, i think what seperates the alchoholic from a social drinker is the ABILITY TO STOP. For example, u said u drink with ur hubby on weekends. Im assuming by your post, ur a social drinker, ie u may drink a couple drinks get a little buzz and your content with that. The alchohlic wont stop at 1 or 2, he/she may drink 4 5 6 or more. Basically once the beers start going down, the individual loses control and cant stop.
Also, how often the person drinks, for example once a week or every day? If excessive drinking everyday, than most likely is either on track or is an alchoholic. Another thing many people consider with the disease, is unmanageable consequences from drinking. (Broken relationships, trouble with the law, emotional issues, financial issues, etc) A social drinker wouldnt have these problems. Again theres some gray area, some peeps are real strict others lenient with the definition. If you dont mind me asking, how long has he been drinking?
@Frjs85
Yes , that's what I actually thought about first. Like real alcoholics drink everyday . I can't really think about how many times he drinks, but it's at least 3 or 4 days a week. He likes drinking just to feel the buzz & if the buzz goes away, he drinks like 2 or 3 more beers. Just to feel a little more buzz. He never gets to that drunk point where he is falling & everything.
I just hate how he needs to feel a "little buzz" . I would honestly love that too because of the feeling, but I don't go out & actually do it :/
Hmm he said he drank since he was like 13. At 16 , before & even after we met he had done drugs with his old little group of friends. They were like those group of friends that just loved drinking for fun & go out & do the most stupid stuff. Then like I said, when we met, we did the same. Ditched school, drink, smoke weed, & pop pills. Then 2 years ago he graduated & he had to work. So he stopped doing all that for a while. A few months ago, he got fired from his job . He still has a half time job sometimes in the weekends as a security. But in the weekdays, all he does is sits home all day :/ don't remember how long ago was that, but since he started drinking since that time he got fired. I'm saying it could be that, who knows?
But I doubt that job affected him :/ he's not such an emotional person, but I can say he has anger problems.
I even had to vent this, but he told me he got drunk yesterday cause we fought. But I really don't understand that only cause your mad, does that mean you have to get drunk?! I get mad too & even feel like drinking, but I don't do it. Why does he have to?!! It ***** :/
I can get him to stop like I kind of made him stop cigarretes.  I'll see if I can talk to him & tell him that if he doesn't stop , he'll most likely turn into a real alcoholic .

But anyways, thanks for taking time to read this & responding :)
Hey girl, I had the same problem with an X bf a few years ago, and the reason he is an X now is because he wouldn't stop drinking, he even crashed his car and got 2 DUI's and still drank! I actually talked to his sister a few months ago and she told me he is actually still drinking! I would always tell him when we were together that i thought he might have a problem and he would always laugh and just blow it off! The thing I didn't realize is that I was getting mad at him for something he was doing and I would do it with him! If you don't want him to drink than you got to stop enabling him (QUIT DRINKING WITH HIM) its extremely unfair of you to tell him not to drink, but if you are with him its okay to drink? kind of condescending don't you think!  Anyways GOOD LUCK be strong you can get through this and if he isn't willing to listen to you about this which its obviously bothering you then you don't need him in your life anyways!
yea..
Definitely. A person starts to abuse drugs or alcohols whenever he's in some pressure or tension, or any mental stability. My answer to your question is, He's not an alcoholic right now, but he'll be for sure, if he will not stop. I suggest you to introduce your bf to some rehab treatment programs ASAP. IF you can, talk to his parents about this. They can help about it. Best of luck.