Addiction: Alcohol/Drug Rehab Community
trying to get off opiates but im not sure what kind of rehab to do?

Drug or alcohol addiction can be a difficult thing to recover from as your body becomes physically dependant on these substances. Discuss topics including alcohol/drug rehab centers or programs, share rehab stories and offer support, and long term recovery post-rehab.

i had decided to do a 6 week outpatient suboxone taper. but this drug counseler that ive been talking to lately strongly thinks that wouldnt work for me. he says i would only be delaying dealing with my problems for 6 weeks, because the suboxone is just replacing the opiates(even though its not getting me high) and that staying on suboxone for 6 weeks would just give me more time to talk myself into doing drugs again. he thinks i should do a 7 day inpatient detox program, so im not on suboxone longer than i have to be.  but my main major issue with doing inpatient detox is that it scares the poo out of me! its mostly the thought of being around a bunch of strangers. PLUS withdrawling, trapped, with a bunch of strangers for 7 days strait, scares me alot!  but he is really pushing me to do the inpatient 7 day detox. opinions?... and wondering if anyone knows if inpatient 7day detox is more likly to work? and if so is it enough of a differance that you think i should try to overcome my fears and do it anyways?
Tags: Opiates, detox, Rehab, Suboxone, drug counseler, inpatient, outpatient
hello and welcome. can you give a little more info. how long have you been using, what and at what dose? suboxone, in patient detox, home detox, methadone are all ways to detox. different methods work depending on the questions i stated above.
debbie
Hey mimi503, I have been going to a Methadone clinic now for about a year and a half... I strongly feel like Methadone maintenance is the way to go! All the in patient places help you get through the physical withdrawls and side effects but as far as the Mental part goes they don't help with any of that! Being an addict pretty much all of my youth and into my twenties I have withdrawled all the way through many times just in the comfort and safety of my own home that's not the problem the problem is that throughout it all YOU CANT STOP THINKING ABOUT THE DRUGS! Methadone actually curbs the drug cravings, and every clinic I know of also makes you do regular counseling sessions with a certified drug and alcohol addiction specialists! I am currently slowly tapering my dose down 1mg a week, I have yet to feel any withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms, if done right methadone and suboxone can work for anyone! Before starting the clinic I was in the same position as you, I would tell someone that I was getting ready to intake at the Methadone clinic only to have them tell me that I am replacing one drug with another, WELL the truth is, Methadone is THE ONLY THING I have tried that is actually working for me, not once have I ever felt high or different from my methadone, all it does is help you live normally so you can get your life back on track! Dont let anyone tell you what would be the best cause the truth is, Everyone is different and different things work for different people! Try to get as much information as possible on the different ways of detoxing! GOOD LUCK you can do this! I am here for you let me know if you need anything else!
Don't do methadone unless you want to travel to a methadone clinic and be on it forever. There are lots of side effects and it is very hard to get off of. My son is trying to get off of it. He cannot have a normal life going to a clinic everyday and the staff at the clinics are burnt out from working with addicts.
wow you need to pick a new clinic, and as far as going everyday, the only time any patient has to do that its because their UA's are still DIRTY! If your son wants what is called TAKE HOMES from the clinic tell him to stop doing drugs... isnt that why he is there in the first place?