Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Any advice could and would help

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Any advice could and would help

My husband has been taking percocet for over three years now and up to forty a day sometimes.  He has never had a prescription for them as his dr would not give them to him.  He has quit cold turkey as of last friday.  He has been sick with cramping in his limbs and sweats and chills.  It was getting to be so bad that our bills were not getting paid and spending anywhere from 400.00 to a 1000 a week.  He has lost forty five pounds and looks not like th man i married.  I am just so happy that he ha learned that his addiction could cripple us and our lives.  As he is still going through withdrawals does anyone have any advice as to what i should be doing for him.  Anything could and would help
Hi Sky, when i went through this i was very edgy and nervous and did not have much patience and really did not want to talk to anyone. Maybe  make him some nice soup as eating is also an issue. Maybe get him some movies to watch to get his mind off of things. just be there for him as he loves you very much to go through this. His a good man. you might want to check out the Thomas recepies below for some help with the withdrawals.
Prays are with you.
dave
"As he is still going through withdrawals does anyone have any advice as to what i should be doing for him."

Just be patient. Withdrawals can take time. Especially the mental aspect of it. Just being there with him probably helps. When I detoxed a few years back...I remember only eating soup for a while...warm soup. Lots of fluids..make sure he stays hydrated because he may be nauseous and not want to drink. Have him sip. Activity is good...when my bones ached...Id walk the dog. It didn't take the aches away...but it took my mind off the aches and made me sleepy. Sleep was hard...especially the sweats...have plenty sheets on stand by. He'll be alright.

Good luck
Hot baths with Epsom salts, hylands restful legs its a supplement, magnesium/ potassium supplements,bananas are all good for the leg cramps. Staying hydrated, eating, yogurts, puddings, crackers, soups. Drinking ensure or boost are important. It is best if he gets up and moves around as much as possible. It will help him to go to therapy or/and a support group to prevent relapse. Time will be his healer.
He is lucky to have you. How are you doing?
Sending encouragement and prayers,
Debbie