Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Court Appointed Attorney
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Court Appointed Attorney

My brother is an addict.  We knew it might come down to jail before he would stop and now the time has come.  We do not have the money for an attorney but I'm scared if somehow I don't put up my house for the loan, he might get way more time.  I know he needs to pay for his habitual driving under the influence but I don't want to see him in prison for 5 years of his life and have his kids grow up without a father because we could not get him into rehab soon enough.  I just don't know what to do.  Please help.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1235186_tn?1339127464
do not put your house up. a court appointed lawyer is fine. has he already been convicted of this crime before? has he been to rehab? the lawyer could ask to have him be put in rehab instead of jail to get him the help he needs. jail wont help him at all, but rehab will. the judge can stipulate him to a program (rehab), if he leaves the rehab early he will have to serve the time in jail instead. they usually want to help the addicts.
Blank
654560_tn?1331858181
I have a friend who is the Court appointed lawyer.... She swears that she can get as well of a deal than any pricy lawyer.. she says to never go through money that you don't have when she can do the job...She is also a recovering alcoholic.....
Blank
480448_tn?1403547723
I TOTALLY agree with the above posters.  I've had many a friends and knew loved ones of friends who had been in tight legal spots, they ALL have said the same thing...that a public defender will do just as good a job.  I've had friends pay tens of thousands of dollars for "good" lawyers with the exact same outcomes.  Pricey lawyers usually aren't worth the money.

Do NOT put your house up.  I know you love your brother and care for him, but if you don't have the money to pay for a lawyer and have to put an important asset up (like your home)...it's NOT a good move.  That's how people lose their homes.  As much as you may love your brother, these are HIS consequences...dont make them YOURS.

Best of luck to you!
Blank
3149845_tn?1386354841
CAA's can be very good but whats important is that you guide him in the right directions by asking questions about pros and cons. The thing about DUI's is that some states have mandatory jail terms and the best lawyers cannot change this. You might want to talk to the CCA about this in your state laws. Also alot of this depends on your brothers attitude while in front of the judge.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Living with an Addict Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...