Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Ex addict and addict.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Ex addict and addict.

I just got off heroin about 2 months ago since im pregnant. I quit heroin at around 6 months pregnant and now im 30 weeks pregnant and still clean. I have been doing good besides the body aches and leg cramps but they arent as bad as before. Well my 2 cousins just moved in with us and they are addicted to heroin too. Most of my family are heroin addicts and I can't really go to somekne telling them about their addiction. How am I suppose to not use while I have family that their world revolves around drugs? They know I just quit and seem to offer me some. They are my family tho and im not going to turn my back on them but how can I deal with it?? The only reason I don't do it is because I KNOW how hard it was to quit and if I do a little im not gonna want to stop. What can I do?
This may not be what you want to hear but if there is ever a time in your life to be selfish, it is right NOW.  Don't worry about your family.  Are they the ones trying to quit?  Are they the ones that have to carry this baby and take care of it when it gets here?  Instead of asking how do I not use while they are here, reword it like this:  What is the easiest thing I can do to make sure I am taking the most advantage of my recovery.  I'm sorry maybe someone else will tell you something different but not likely.
Not taking anything from the work you have already done.  I am proud that you have been clean for 2 months.  That is a big deal, I am just concerned.
KICK THEIR A$$ES TO THE CURB...ASAP ! ! !

you are only responsible for your own recovery...not providing a place for someone to use and abuse drugs.  how disrespectful of them to offer you drugs, knowing that you are pregnant and trying to stay clean.

i'm sorry...BUT...i dont care if they dont have a pot to pi$$ in, a penny to their names...facing jail time...whatever the reason they are with you.  NOTHING is as important as your recovery and that baby you are carrying.

if they stay...you will cave...you are an addict early in recovery.  you start using...your baby is born...BOOM...children services takes your baby.

the scales are stacked.  do you choose life for you and your baby or active addiction?

get rid of them ! ! ! ! !
This will sound harsh ; but the reality is the baby your carrying is your family too and the family members need to go to a shelter,  rehab or wherever.
You know, I used to smoke pot all day everyday, smoke almost 2 packs of cigarettes a day, pop all sorts of pills all the time (I abused adderall (adderrall) and xanax mostly) and used to do coke, not on a regular basis but still. So I know this isn't quite the same. But I had 6 roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment and they were ALL druggies. As soon as I went to the doctor and found out I was 10 weeks pregnant, I quit everything that day. I know its not that easy when you have an addiction and its harder when everyone in your house is offering it to you, but (not to sound harsh), the reality of it is, you need to think about your innocent child before anyone else. Your baby consumes everything that you do, not only could you be causing them serious defects, but if anything is in the baby's system after birth that isn't prescribed to you, cps will get involved immediately.

I will say this, being clean for 2 months is a big accomplishment and something you should definitely be proud of. However, being around the "wrong crowd" is how it always starts back up. I've seen my mom go through it my whole life, and she still isn't clean. I agree, now is the time to be selfish and think of you and your child's needs only. I would refuse to put myself and especially my child in a toxic environment. I know they are your family, but for them to offer you drugs while you're trying to stay sober and especially pregnant is disrespectful and asinine, personally speaking.
Your responsibility is to yourself and this baby.  Please do what is right and get rid of them.  You have 2 lives on the line here, you and the baby.