Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Excedrin

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Excedrin

My husband is addicted to Excedrin.  He now gets diarrhea a few nights a week and when he doesn't take it he says he gets an unbearable headache/migraine.  He says he can't quit because the headache is too unbearable.  So instead he just pops immodium to help the diarrhea.  How can he quit this?
Tags: diarrhea
I am by no means, no expert, but it sounds to me like if he really is addicted to it, then just maybe his body has relied on the excedrine for so long to keep headaches away, that when he doesnt take it, it throws his body automatically into a headache cause his body doesnt know what to do without it. The only cure for that is just time. he will have to quite taking the excedrine, and after awhile, the headaches will go away, cause the headaches are only from his body trying to rebel against not having the excedrine. Hope that this is some help!:)
How many Excedrin pills does he take each day?
If he is taking the extra strength that's 500mg - 250 acetominophene, 250 aspirin and 50 caffeine in every table. A lot of those are no good for your stomach, liver and/or kidneys. The diarrhea may be suggestive of the long term affects of these.

He should see a doctor to discuss the symptons and find out other options for migraine relief.
In addition maybe your husband should have a couple of tests to rule out anthying serious that can be causing the headaches.

Best of luck.
I had to wean off of excedrin when I found out I was pregnant, that is also when I found out that excedrin is addictive.  After suffering for a few days with killer headaches, pain that made me vomit, my MD said I could take motrin- but I am not sure your hubbys stomach could handle motrin.  I was able to wean off completly with motrin and coffee, then off the motrin and coffee.  I had never taken a sick day from any job until that episode.  I took two days off plus a weekend and feared for my childs safty.  He should talk to his doc about the rebound headaches, take a few days off and sleep, can he take OTC sleeping pills to help the withdraw happen while he sleeps all day, is that okay to do?  Caffiene is a pain to stop taking in high quantities and along with the tylenol/aspirin/ but not impossible.
Anyway I am sure you would all feel better if he told his MD what was happening, you can go to.  The diarrhea symptoms are scarry b/c of the bad side effects of tylenol/aspirin or it could be to much caffeine.
I suffer from Migraines and I wake up with them.  Just to get through the day I take one Excedrine Migraine pill, because of my height and weight.  Two of them will send me into a jittery state and trigger a manic episode that can last for a week or so.  
I noticed today, that I didn't take an Excedrine pill and the headache started creeping up on me.  Then I noticed severe stomache cramps, then I noticed I couldn't get up and do anything.  I broke down and took a pill.  Now I have no headache and I feel even.  
This is addiction. I am taking the damn pills just to feel normal.  The cramps went away in about 20 min and no more headache.
I have watched my husband kick heroin addiciton and he went through something similar, but much worse.
I just had to post this to you.  Get your husband to a Dr. right away! get a full blood chemistry and a PTH test (parathyroid hormone).  i could have written your post.  My husband had same thing and headaches got progressively worse and frequent and lasted longer when he would have real bad ones.  but, always had some type of headche and said the same thing your husband did about having to haave the excedrin pm.

this went on for years.  he went to the er one night at my insistence and his calcium was 10.7. We were never told and were refwerred to nerologist.  he was put on amytryptilye to wean off the daily excedrin and the excedrin PM.

i hope you are still reading because this is serious.  the doctors missed it and eventually my husband ended up critical in the hospital with renal failure.

he had a parathyroid adenoma which caused the increased calcium that caused the renal failure.  he is lucky he lived.

i regret that we were not on top of this.  it was the calcium which were causing the headaches.  he suffered needlessly for years and almost died.

another thing, ALWAYS get copies of dthe blood and other tests and look at them yourself.  if we had done this, we would have seen that his calcium had been rising over the years.  Calcium does not go up or down for no reason!!!!!!  his creatinine was also going up slightly over the years.  this was also not noticed by Drs.  unfortunately we have learned that Drs. do not pay attention to trends in bloodwork.  they only pay attention to when things are "out of range".  unfortunately, a diagnosis may be delayed for years while the person's quality of life and ultimate health is being affected.

this all takes a lot of work and finding the right Dr.

i'm not saying this is necessarily his problem.  but he needs to keep on this.  after my husband had dthe adenoma removed he was able to get off the excedrin and excedrin pm.  it was hard, but doable.  he was definitely addicted to it, but without the underlying medical condition, he was able to do it.

find a doctor who is willing to do the work to find the problem!!!!!!!   use the internet to find the best of the best.  we have found that there is a wide variation in approches between endocrinologists.  don't let anyone blow you off!  trust your gut.  see how you feel after you leave the Dr..  and, even if you think you have good ?Dr.  get a total of THREE opinions.  this will also heelp to judge between the ddoctors.  its hard to know a good thing unless you have an average of bad thing to compare it to.

furthermore, if he doesn't stop taking so much excedrin, that, in and of itself will damage his kidneys and/or liver and who knows what else.  something is definitely going on.  

aalso, when my husband was going through this, since his calcium was up, it affected his judgement.  (as well as other personality, memory, cognition function), so he was not in the best position to guage hiss need for medical care and i should not have deferred to his desire to ignore this.  aso, he did not have the persevence he needed to pursue it.  he just struggled to get through each day.  

does your husband have frequent urination, lack of appetite/nasaueous a lot, bouts of direaheea or constipation,  changes in personality, mental function (desn't seem as quick and sharp as he used to?).  theese symptoms can missed as they come on so gradually that it seems normal for them (happens over years).  this whole situation muust also be affecting your marriage.    

my husband and i are both professional and , in retrospect, cannot believe we handled the situation so poorly.  don't make the same mistakes we did.  he may be addicted, but that's probably not his real problem!

Good luck!!!!!!
I know this thread is a year old but I do not often come across topics dealing with Excederin addiction. I do not look for topics that often either but this one was a great read.

I too am struggling with this addiction and cannot find a way out.

I take two pills every morning, often around 1 pm and around 5 pm. If I take just one dose a day I consider that a good day.

I drink several cups of coffee a day, and often cold beverages like coke or ice tea.

So I know the caffeine is a significant part of this equation of addiction. However there is more. If I take something else, like just asprin or Tylenol I dont get the mental or physical 'boost' that I seem to expect.

I am 43 years old and wonder how much longer my body can take this. I take other medicine too so that cannot be good. I take Celexa each morning. I try not to pop both meds at the same time, at least I have some common sense there.

I take Prilosec each morning because the Celexa and the aspirin is at work causing heart burn. I have a mild disease called essential tremors, which is sort of like Parkinsons, but not as bad. It affects mostly my hand area, but it has not caused any disabillity. The caffeine makes it worse. I grind my teeth at night, and it probably has resulted in my TMJ symptoms. So you would think there are so good reasons to toss the Excederin and quit caffeine, but I keep rolling along.

Back when I had health insurance (ah another reason to quit this **** eh?) I called my health insurance company to get a referral for an addiction therapist and the representative chuckled when I told him I was addicted to caffeine. I tried out a therapist and she did not take my case seriously. She even drank a coke during one session, and had her teenager in the next room who surely could hear the session.

I hate to go see a regular doctor (no insurance) and put this addiction on file. You see my two main choices for seeing a doctor will mean putting this on record in a database which I really do not want to have happen. I fear my personal information will be readable by prying eyes in my profession if I ever work for one of the two institutions again. There are two extremely large systems in my area that have gobbled up all the clinics and they are all networked. I worked for one of them once and saw how the workers randomly look up each other to see what luggage they carry.

I have tried going off slowly but I loose motivation. I tried cold turkey and felt like I was vomitting my insides out, and would die of something the withdrawl (withdrawal) pain was so bad.

So here I am. Addicted with no idea how I will kick this weird addiction. I wonder what I can try to whack this. There is no support groups I have found for this.
I am 33 years old, and have been taking Excedrin consistantly for about 6 years now.  I take at least two every morning, and like you, if I only take 2 in the morning, I consider it a "good" day.
Several years ago, I was diagnosed with an ulcer.  The pain was unbelievable.  I was put on Prevacid, and the ulcer eventually healed.  It was obvious that the ulcer was a result of Excedrin (and wine), and instead of stopping then, I continued to take Excedrin along with the Prevacid.
I take between 2-4 per day.  I can't tell you a day when I didn't take any.
I have done the cold turkey quitting, and you almost have to do it over a weekend when you have no plans, because it will knock you on your a$$.
I would suggest trying this:
Take one for the next few days.  I think for me, the addiction is not only physical, but psychological.  Drink a soda, or some coffee or tea when you feel a headache coming on.  
After this, just rely on the soda, tea, or coffee.  Eventually, the caffeine withdrawal will subside.  I am convinced that is the problem with us.
If you want to email me directly, my email address is ***@****.  Maybe we can try doing this together.

I've been with my girlfriend for 6 months.
She's been taking Excedrin for a year.
When she showed me the bottle near when we first met my thoughts were 'this looks addictive'
Something about the combination of drugs in Excedrin was just wrong to me.
I've taken one or two but no where near a constant basis cause I don't get headaches that much.
I didn't know she was taking 2 in the morning at work, and then every other day she would have a headache and take some more.
It got to be a daily thing recently, and where she would just constantly have a headache. Thankfully she wasn't ramping up the Excedrin too much. I feel bad for not making her quit earlier.
Were both very young, just past 20, she has no health insurance so I'm hoping that after the Excedrin storm we can deal with anything else medical.
I keep looking at the bottle hating Excedrin. I guess its my way of dealing with this. I just hate to see her in so much pain.
Nowhere on the bottle does it say it can be addictive, which I find wrong. I thought we were suppose to be told of this.
The only thing Excedrin has on there site is something about Rebound Headaches under the types of headaches. It says if you take the maximum dosage without relief talk to your Dr.

I also think its funny that Excedrin has all these different products. Its all the same medicine, the same dosage of the same stuff. What is it placebo?
I'd like to produce a medicine that was actually sugar pills, say its aspirin or some new drug with a long name that cures headaches within 15 minutes and see how much it works...
I've used a placebo Vitamin C and some basic hypnosis to cure head pains, chest pains and put someone to sleep. They woke up next morning feeling great. I wish it was that simple with this.
I think I'd rather go through the withdrawal symptoms then see my love do it. I never knew how painful this side of the argument can be.

Good health to all and to all a good holiday season,
Roarke
i know this post is old...but i'm going to comment anyway. some people dismiss excedrin addiction entirely. i know it's real...but it's certainly not the same as other addictions. i take 2 ever morning. i used to take much more. the 2 i take every morning are actually taken just to prevent the headache i know will come if i don't take them. there is mild psychological addiction in that i get rather grumpy when i don't take them and i do have a strong desire to take them. i suppose this can be attributed to the caffeine...but the question is that if it's the caffeine alone, then why does large ammounts of coffee not replace the urge? and why do you still get a severe migraine if you do replace it with, say, coffee and some extra strength tylenol. by the ingredients on the back of the excedrine bottle...this should be all that's needed. for some reason it doesn't work, though.

anyway...i don't compare this psychologically to other addictions i've had. it certainly is a mystery, though, as to the physical withdrawal excedrine can produce and why it's effects are so different than what you would get from taking 500mg of tyenol with a couple cups of coffee.

there are certain medications that have vasoconstricters in them...such as midrin...that can be used in place of excedrin to help with withdrawal. the problem is that it causes sleepiness so using it in the morning kind of bites...and in rare cases it can be addicting. but it really is frustrating when people don't take this habbit seriously. there really is something about the formulation that causes psychical and psychological withdrawal symptoms when taken for extended periods of time.
Hey.. saw this post and wondering if taking 2 Excedrin PM @ NIGHT is bad???

I am a recovering addict x's 75 days off of a 8-10 Norco habit a day x's 3 years for 2 back surgeries and was told that I could take the Excedrin PM in order to help relieve my sciatic pain and back pain at night so that I could get some sleep...

Am I setting myself up for ANOTHER withdrawl (withdrawal) here by taking the Excedrin PM at night??

That's kind of a tough one to answer Queen. Anything can be somewhat addicting. Have you tried to go without the excedrin pm at night? That would be one way to find out. Also, do you take them every night or only when you need them. I too have had surgery for a herniated disc and still deal with the sciatic problem due to scar tissue hitting the nerve. I know how painful that can me. It's like someone is stabbing me in the hip/butt area with a dagger and moving it around! If you look at the bright side though, you're not taking a opiate. I'm prescribed neurontin for the nerve pain but rarely take it as I've heard it can be addictive also. What out there doesn't have some sort of addictive traits? Coffee, soda, chocolate, etc...the list goes on and on! Some things are just more dangerous than others.
I have been taking Excedrin for over 10 years daily. Two in the morning and if I feel a headache coming on in the afternoon I will take two more. Yes, Excedrin is so addictive.  I am 41 years old and I am very worried about the side effects.  I am trying to get healthy, losing weight, eating healthy...but when I think about not taking Excedrin it scares me...Crazy I know!!  Even scarrier...what it does to our liver!  I am shocked at how much information there is on the internet about Excedrin and how many people have the same problem as I do...I am seriously considering taking either this weekend or next and trying to detox and get away from this drug!!!!!!  Wish me luck!!!!
i would start with cutting the evening dose to 1...then eventually cutting the morning dose to 1...then eventually cutting the evening dose out...then the morning. the rebound headaches that the caffeine causes will probably prevent you from being successful otherwise. whether excedrin is addicting or not...it's a fact that it causes rebound migraines if taken daily...which is what you'll experience when you go off it all at once.
I have thought that i may addicted to excedrin also.  I take 2 or 3 at the most a day everyday.  I get these headaches all the time and as soon as I take one, it just goes away, all the pain anywhere.  My boyfriend recently told me that I may be addicted to the caffeine in the excedrin.  I don't know.  Even when I run out, I am always wondering, should I go to the store and get some.  If I don't go, I get a headache and wind up going anyway.
I think I've been addicted to Excedrin since I was in 5th grade. I'm now 28. I would always complain when I was younger of having headaches.  I went to see doctors when I was younger, had MRIs and other tests for the headaches, but nothing abnormal was found. What I have now come to realize is that all of my headache issues are actually the rebound headaches you get from Excedrin--and NOT from migraines--and have probably been this whole time.

As with all addictions, this have progressed over time to where, at some points, I wasn't even tracking how much I was taking. When I look back, I don't think I even realized it was an addiction at the time. I cannot fathom what I've done to my body, as I don't think there is a way I will escape some sort of long-term damage to my kidneys, liver, and who knows what else.

I started seeing a psychologist for the first time recently and on my first day I told him of this and he just chuckled with that "that's weird/doesn't make sense" look on his face. The look where someone looks surprised and jolts their head back. I don't think he meant to react that way, but this is extremely serious and not a joke at all.

I'm still trying to quit; I've tried to quit about a billion times, but it's the withdrawal that prevents me, rather than my unwillingness. It became addiction for the psychological benefit, but I've been trying to quit since about 18 or 19 when I started to realize I was abusing it for no reason; and now, I find it almost impossible to quit due to the massive headaches it causes (from the withdrawal).

When trying to quit, my lower back starts to hurt, especially on my right side in the back (probably my kidneys). I had my gull bladder removed at 17, which I had attributed to my fast-food diet and relentless soda drinking, although I believe the Excedrin contributed to it as well. I am a male. I also had constipation, which I am able to improve with fiber cereal and lost of vegetable soup.

I am responsible in just about any other area of my life, and I cannot believe I've let myself use excuses to destroy my body like this. To any parents out there, get this drug out of your home, and never give it to your children.
I am going through the withdrawals right now. I am 2 days into quitting. It came to head again for me as well.

I am experiencing this whole thing and have been addicted since probably 5th grade as well. My dad was an addict although he has really never completely copped to it, but very vaguely after a massive bleeding ulcer that was the result of overuse of Excedrin. I became aware of his addiction only after I did with mine, while starting Alcoholics Anonymous. One day, I could not stop the bleeding of a blemish on my face for like a 45 minutes duration. It completely freaked me out and after speaking to a fellow member of A.A. who was a doctor, we figured out what it was --  taking of many Excedrin every day. It was a wakeup call for me and I hate to say that I have had many over the years. Novelk, I am 44, so do the math. 2 days ago I came clean with my Fiance' and now it is time for action. I have made a Doctors appointment and I am going to request Labs and Bloodwork and the PTH test (parathyroid hormone) that cgcg suggested. I do have support and I am sharing this with many friends so they know what is going on with me, this will help me be responsible and take ownership for this addiction.

I am craving pretty bad right now and yes I have a headache but I am going to watch carefully to see if it goes Migraine on me. If I think it will I am going to take Maxalt which works very well for my Migraines. THe only reason I am not in excruciating pain is that I am allowing myself a cup of coffee in the morning first thing and then some maintenance Black Tea thru the day.

For you addicts that are floundering out there, I have been through the Detox before, and it's very important to have a plan with help from a doctor. If you can't, obviously it will be harder as it is that medicine can assist the withdrawals. I am with a Kaiser health plan so I am lucky.  I was given a medicine before to help with the Migraines but for the life of me I can't think of it. They also gave me Nortriptyline for  bedtime to help sleep. I also took a little bit of Trazadone to help with sleep. It was extremely helpful and I am hopeful that it will be again.

The headaches ARE rebound headaches from too much aspirin and if you can get off it all for a little while they will subside. I know, obviously easier said than done. I stayed tuned to this site.
I'm a 57 year old female that has been taking Excedrine for about 25 years.  I have stopped a time or two, only to go back because I was so weary of the headaches.  Sometimes I find myself taking it just as a precaution, as some of you have stated.  I have weened myself down to 1 at a time, but sometimes 3 times a day.  I have convinced myself that is probably not harmful, since the recommend you take aspirin to keep blood thin.

This is DAY 3 of not taking one and by FAR the worst day.  I took a Celebrex, which I have on hand for severe neck pain.  It hasn't phased the headache AT ALL.  

My question is:  Do you think its the caffeine that is causing the headache, as I don't want to drink a cola just to keep the cycle going.  I

Does taking Tylenol really help the headache or should I just try to tough it out...I'm on the brink right now.  I have an ice pack on my head trying to numb the pain.  I don't want to take something else that is also going to cause the same type of rebound when I have already suffered for two days.

Like many of you, I worry about what it is doing to my stomach and kidneys.  Its disturbing to think I have done this to myself.  Trying to get healthy, finally.

Good Luck to us all trying to fight this.

Don't know how I stumbled on this thread, but it's making me wonder about myself.  I'm 33 years old and have been taking Excedrin for at least 20 years.  I get migraines from time to time, and Excedrin's the only thing that works for me.

Unlike many of you, I don't take Excedrin daily.  What's going to make you wince is that I take 4 at a time.  That makes my pain go away every time.  I know that's a lot of Excedrin, but keep in mind that I'm 6'4'' and about 280lbs.

I've never felt any side effect from taking Excedrin.  Much to the contrary, it has allowed me to control my headaches.  But my wife and my mom recoil at the thought of such a high dosage of Excedrin.

I average about one four-pill dosage per week.  In other words, I don't take it everyday--not even close.  I often go weeks without it.  Some weeks, perhaps, I'll have two dosages; but the average is one four-pill dosage a week.

Should I be concerned about myself?
Its a sad day when people are addicted to excedrin
Has anyone died from this horrible addiction/
Have you spent every dime of your money
Have you lied ,cheated,stolen or winded up in Intensive care
,Have you lost every friend and family member you ever had

Addicted to EXCEDERIN, GET THE F*#K outta here
Maybe I jumped the gun/after actually reading some of the post/I now realize that it could defenitely damage your organs
I'm Sorry /
Drug companies and companies in general constantly make deadly products just to make a profit/Many times the side effects or long term effects are worse the the benefits
I am 27 years old and suffer from horrible migraines.  I have been taking Excedrin for 2-3 years now......it seems to be the only thing that helps.  The scary part is I take four every morning and four every night before bed daily.  I'm so afraid of getting another migraine that I try to prevent them before they happen.  I'm not even sure why I do this since even though I take the Excedrin daily, I still get severe migraines at least once a month.  Sometimes the Excedrin does not even phase the headaches and I just have to suffer them out for 2-3 days with intense nausea and often vomiting.  I am so scared because I know this is not good at all for my liver, kidneys and god knows what else.  I can only imagine the damage that has already been done.  I never in a million years thought I would get addicted to a painkiller like this.  I really want to stop before I do more damage to my body than has already been done.  I know it's going to be hell trying to break this bad habit.  Small price to pay though when it comes to your health.  I am trying to schedule an appointment with a Neurologist since I finally have health insurance.  I'm hoping I can get a prescription for something that will be a bit more effective and not as addicting.  The hard part will be telling the Dr. about my awful habit.  I just really want to end this horrible addiction.  Any tips would be most helpful?  I'm going to need all the help I can get to kick this bad habit!
May be somebody has already mentioned this. I didn't get to read all the posts.

Generally, the side effects of stopping any drug can be minimized by weaning it off slowly. As slow as needed. From 2 pills to 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 etc. over many days or weeks. Or even slower. This will give the body ample time to readjust to the chemical changes arising out of stopping the drug.

I have had to ramp up and wean off from several drugs in the past while I was suffering from anxiety/depression . Taking it slow really helped.

Hope this helps.
Arun
If you are taking the excedrin to PREVENT migraines something that might help you is to talk to your doctor to get on a prescription migraine preventative.  Topamax, Depakote, and propranolol are a few that work well for me.  I will go over the ups and downs of a two of these medications and why I ended up on the medication I am on.  I started with topamax and it was amazing as I had an average of 3 migraines per week.  The problem with topamax was appetite suppression.  I lost just over 70 pounds on it and even forcing myself to eat wasn't enough to prevent further weight loss.  I then tried depakote and it was just the opposite for me.  I gained weight extremely fast and was alway hungry which led me to propranolol LA.  I haven't had any side effects while taking it and can manage my weight easily.  All of these meds worked very well to prevent migraines.  I actually  have less than one per month now.  When I do have a migraine I use imitrex nasal which works very quickly (the fastest working form of the drug I have used and I have tried them all including the injection units).  

This would be a healthier way to PREVENT migraines than pounding your liver daily with aspirin and acetamenophin.  Since you are getting these headaches from rebound you may only need the preventative medications above for a short period of time to break your cycle so you shouldn't have any trouble stopping these medications once your problems subside (with the exception of topomax (topamax) which should be tapered up and back down).  If you do stop these medications and find you start having migraines again it will likely be safer to continue the preventative medications above as you may also have migraines that are not a cause of the rebound but only you can decide if you need full time management that you get with a migraine preventative.  If you are only having one migraine per month or less it may be more benificial to your body to put less medication in and take just a migraine treatment medication such as maxalt or imitrex.  I will say that if I recall correctly maxalt is about half the cost of imitrex tablets or nasal and much less than the injection imitrex units.

To help with the withdrawal from caffeine you can use coffee with the meds above but be sure you are lowering your caffeine intake a small amount each week.  This may actually be easier using caffeine tablets.  If you can find 50 mg tablets you can trim them down 25% for a couple weeks or so and leave your otherwise caffeine intake unchanged.  So if you drink 3 pepsi colas per day do not cut them out as of yet.  After you feel no ill effects from dropping 25% off the caffeine tablets for a good week try cutting it in half and continuing the process until you are no longer using the tablets.  One caveat of using the tablets is be sure there is nothing other than caffeine in them.  Look at the product ingredients and stay away from anything that contains things like taurine found in red bell and guarana (spelling) fould in bawls energy drink.  You also want to watch for anything that reads proprietary blend as lord only knows what is in this.  More than likely it is mostly fillers with small amounts of additives like taurine etc.  In herbal medications this is called pixie dusting and is usually just a useless selling point so they can say their product will do miracles but since the FDA does not regulate this they can get away with it.  The point is, if you need to know you are reducing your caffeine you were getting with the excedring you need to know how much you are putting into your body and with tablets it will tell you very close to exactly how much caffeine is in there but you do want to be sure what you are taking is only caffeine in the tablet.  You do want to be sure that the caffeine tablets you buy are not time release (I am not sure they make these but want to mention this in case they are out there) skip them as cutting them will eliminate the time release function of the tablet more than likely and you may end up getting way more caffeine than you bargained for.

I am by no means a doctor, nor do I have a problem with excedrin but this in my opinion may be a viable option to discuss with your doctor for treatment of getting off the excedrin rebound cycle.  With any non migraine headaches you may have an over the counter NSAID (motrin, advil, ibuprofen, aleve, etc) should help with those headaches.

I will also mention that believe it or not my local chiropractor could get rid of a migraine instantly for me with a neck adjustment.  It may not make sense but when I was young he told my mother whenever I had one to bring me in and within minutes of the adjustment I either had virtually full relief or it would go away for just a couple minutes and come back worse at which time he would adjust me again and it was then gone for good.  A chiropractor trip is not cheap but our local chiro was nice enough that he did not even charge for this since my brother was there every couple weeks for back and neck adjustments.  You may not be so lucky but if you have no anti migraine meds and your chiropractor is willing to try to adjust you to treat a migraine it could be worth a shot.  I don't think I have ever seen a chiropractor advertise for treatment of migraine but it worked for me and my migraine headaches were confirmed as migraines by a CT scan or MRI I don't remember which.
Okay, so I'm the one who posted a couple months ago who was taking four Excedrin Mirgaine twice daily.  Yes, eight pills a day!  That really freaked me out as to what it was doing to my body and my headaches were not getting any better.  So I ended up going to the doc and he prescribed me Sumatriptan/Imitrex.  Before I started taking the Sumatriptan, I slowly started weaning myself off of the Excedrin Migraine.  For 3-3 weeks I went from eight pills daily to only four.  But this past Saturday I got a really bad migraine and was forced to try out the Sumatriptan.  It worked like magic, but after  a few hours the headache came back ten times worst and there was just a lot of pain and pressure in my head.  Sunday I took another Sumatriptan and again it worked like a charm, but the headache came back even worst a few hours later.  I am afraid to even take another Sumatriptan if the headache is only going to come back.  I'm not sure if the medicine is causing it or what?  I should mention that since Saturday, I have gone cold turkey on the Excedrin Migraine.  I am about to enter day four of being Excedrin Migrain free....but I have a headache from hell!  I refuse to take anymore Excedrin because I am determined to quit it for good!  2-3 years of being addicted to it is enough for me!  But how do I deal with this pain?  When will it go away?  I already had to suffer through the weekend and miss work yesterday.  How much longer will it take?  Are these headaches most likely withdrawal symptoms from the Excedrin?  The headaches feel a bit different from my usual migraines, but still a lot of pain and nausea!

I apologize for this long jumble of words, but I'm just in a lot of pain and don't know what else to do?  Nothing seems to help.  I'm about to try some Alieve or something, but I doubt it will do any good.

Help please!!???
Maybe just grin and bear it? I, myself, haven't been able to quit. I always come close, but just go back to the Excedrin. I don't even know why anymore. This is so dumb. I need to grow a pair, take a vacation, and "detox" that way; I would be able to be at home the entire time w/no obligations and just sit there and deal with the pain. Something strange keeps telling me that it will take a major upheaval in my personal life to force what should otherwise be such a simple thing for me change/control. I hope that won't be necessary. Getting off the stuff on a vacation/downtime sounds much more appealing. Best of luck to any and all that are struggling with such a lame addiction.
I too was an addict for 20-25 years, more or less.  A couple of weeks ago I decided I was getting too many rebound headaches and although I started each day with Excedrin, I still would suffer occasionally from pain.  I cut back my "proactive" 1-2 tablets in the morning and got to .5 per day and wouldn't allow myself to take any for headaches when they came.  After a week I stopped completely.  I'm on 0 for 2 weeks and having give my stock; from upstairs, downstairs, the gym, work .... to another addict because I'm not going back.  I have had some headaches since.  In the end they go away and I've convinced myself each time that Excedrin wouldn't help this one anyway... since like I said I had pain anyway.  Some days I wake up and don't feel my head at all and it feels like a real luxury.  I was feeling very tired but think I've gotten over that.  And it's early to tell but I believe my sleep is higher quality.  Oh, I am also obsessively drinking water throughout the day.

I'd like to get to a point whereby I get a headache once in a while and can take some OTC (not Excedrin of course) without thinking of it and without it happening more than say once a week.
ExcedFree, do you notice memory improvement, increased sensory perception, lower anxiety levels, clearer mindset and better focus? These are all things that I believe taking so much Excedrin causes me. And is your better sleep from not having so much caffeine in your system, do you think?

Thanks.
My Mom has been taking excedrin for years she swears he help her aches & pains. She can not take it, for 2 weeks she is having surgery. By not taking it can they be zapping her energey level?
Well, I seem to be doing better.  Three weeks of being excedrin migraine free!  I don't plan on going back.  The best part about it is my blood pressure has come down tremendously!  I just kept telling myself I had to stick it out no matter how bad the pain got.

Thanks for the support!

To those trying to quit....hang in there!
I have been on excedrin for over 30 yrs..no harm yet but I do feel like I need it to perform better. I take it when I go skiing and I recover faster...I took it instead of Vicodin after a surgery and it was a cheaper and less addictive alternative...I take one at a time, about 3 a day. I dont get as many colds or flus as my friends..and in trips to foreign lands I didnt fall ill to many things my companion did....miracle drug? or is it something that is not dissolving completely in the kidneys?...could it cause stones in bladder or kidneys? that would be my only worry.
I am believe my addiction to Excedrin is/was (I hope) mental for one very good reason: Taking a similar tablet and chewing it (as I did with Excedrin) at the same times during the day seems to help. I chew an M&M or a Lifesaver at about the same time I used to chew Excedrin tablets.  Vitamin C tablets seem to work best.  I chewed (no water--part of the addictive habit) one Excedrin at least five times daily till blood showed up in a urine test and I knew I had to do something.  Hope that helps.
I have been taking excedrin for about 5 years. I chew 1 dose per day.
I was able to quit for about 5 weeks, but then started it up again. I think most of it is mental.  I usually don't have headaches, but the excedrin always gives me some energy (which I don't get from coffee or soda). I keep telling myself that 1 dose a day is not bad, but I'm sure it is. I take a dose at work in the late morning or early afternoon. I usually don't take it on weekends. I am addicted to the energy boost it gives me.  I quit before by lowering dose and taking 1 dose everyother day. Good luck to all.
You guys are missing the whole point - you are only skimming the surface. I am 31 and took probably 8 Excedrin a day in truth, but I'm clean, detoxified, and healed. Its not an "additction" its quite literally a spiritual problem - its deep seated insecurity about life you are trying to stuff it down by popping a pill to give yourself some sense of security. Watch the moments when the craving comes up. When you get really honest about that, STOP going to doctors (this whole health care system is what gives you the idea that problems can be solved with pills), you dislodge and shift those beleifs, and your body heals itself... its NOT THAT HARD and honestly, when you do it this way, there are much less side effects. I tried for years and this is the only way that worked. You just have to be brave enough to look at your own inseucities and face that, cry a little. I recommend seeing a science of mind practioner or even AA.
I have been taking Excedrin for almost 30 years now...sometimes I take one in the morning and sometime two..I am 56 now and I would say that I am in good health, 6', 190 lbs. Sometimes I suffer from a bad migrane (migraine) but I take excedrin mostly to get a feeling of "well being" in the morning...no soreness, no pains etc. But here is the deal: Excedrin acts as a fast energizer because the aspirin and acet. content allows for a fast entry of caffeine into the system.
Excedrin IS addictive but so is coffee drinking or a 5HR Shot or a Red Bull.
Any of these caffeine intakes are going to play games with your body.
I found that coffee with powder creamer and substitute sugar is just as bad or worse than Excedrin when it comes to Kidney or any organ damage.
Interesting though, that although I am addicted to Excedrin I am the only member of my family never to have heart trouble or a kidney stone. Nor do I suffer from frequent colds or flue symptoms as the rest of my brothers, wife, sisters etc. This comparison tells me that my Excedrin intake is not dangerous when you consider that I do not  or rarely drink liquor, I am not a smoker, I do not expose myself to dehydration but I also do not drink a lot of water and I exercise and watch my weight. In other words, I am vain and finicky about my appearance so I watch myself. So..Excedrin is got to be a poison for some people when OTHER issues are also present..such as alcohol or diets rich in sugar or fat, or no exercise, because 30 years and not one single visit to the hospital have to say something, right?   (I hope I am not speaking too soon and tmw I have an Excedrin related issue. lol)
I too have taken Excedrin for a number of years (25) and haven't had any serious health issues.  I just take 1 pill instead of 2 at a time - usually end up taking a total of 3 or 4 pills a day.  Sometimes I get a little heartburn, but just if I take it on an empty stomach.  I too eat healthy - no refined or processed foods and I exercise and have a low BMI and weight.  I also take Excedrin PM at night.  My PCP told me that over the counter sleeping aids are not addictive, although you can build up a tolerance to them.  I did quit Excedrin at one point - and while I did have some serious withdrawal symptoms, even after the withdrawal was gone, I still received headaches that turned into migraines and Tylenol and other pain relievers were not helpful.  Therefore, I went back to Excedrin.  When I was 16 I started taking it because of the same kinds of headaches that would often turn into horrible migraines.  Excedrin works.   I figure if I had a brain tumor or other serious condition like that - it would have presented itself in a more serious manner at some point over the past 25 years.  Lots of people remain on medications for migraines for life - so I don't see the difference between that and taking Excedrin to hold them at bay.  
Everyone's body's are different.  I developed an ulcer from taking things like Excedrin and some of the migraine medicine I was prescribed.  So eventually I stopped taking all of it and my ulcer cleared up and the headaches were able to be controlled with just Tylenol.  Excedrin also has caffeine in it so when you stop taking it you can get caffeine headaches as well.   Keep us posted on his progress I will be interested to see what works for him.
with personal problems. Researchers caution that long-term use of acetaminophen can have serious side effects, such as liver damage, and the authors say more research is needed to verify the drug's benefits on reducing emotional responses to breakups and social snubs.”
I have used Excedrin without aspirin for many years.  I suffered from migraines and was taking Fiornal and then Fioricet for the pain.  My daughter suggested that I try Extra Strength Excedrin, and I did.  It worked very well.  Although I took other medication (i.e., amitriptyline), I continued to use Excedrin and still do when I get occasional headaches.

What occurred (and still does) when I took Excedrin is that I felt better mentally.  I thought I was totally insane.  I must add that I suffer and have suffered since my 20s from clinical depression.  The Excedrin snapped me out of the low feeling for awhile.  It was wonderful.  

In the January 11, 2010 edition of the Orlando Sentimental, I read the following article.  And I know it says Tylenol, but it is acetaminophen, too, and I don’t like Tylenol.  

“We often use the same words to describe physical and mental pain -- headaches and heartaches, broken bones and broken spirits.  Recent evidence suggests that physical pain and the feelings associated with social rejection extend beyond metaphors.

Over-the-counter painkillers that alleviate physical aches also can ease mental anguish, according to a study in the journal Psychological Science. Researchers found that acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, may have an off-label benefit.  The experiment involved 62 healthy volunteers who took a daily dose of acetaminophen or a placebo. Hurt feelings decreased over time in those taking acetaminophen, researchers found, but not in those given the placebo.

In another test, researchers gave 25 volunteers a double dosage of acetaminophen or a placebo, but this time they participated in a computer game rigged to create feelings of social rejection. Acetaminophen reduced neural responses to mental anxiety, while the placebo did not.

"People trivialize the pain of rejection," said University of Kentucky psychologist C. Nathan DeWall, who led the study. "This research has the potential to change how people think about physical and social pain. We hope our findings can pave the way for interventions designed to reduce the pain of social rejection and ostracism."

That doesn't mean we should fill our medicine cabinets with Tylenol to cope with personal problems. Researchers caution that long-term use of acetaminophen can have serious side effects, such as liver damage, and the authors say more research is needed to verify the drug's benefits on reducing emotional responses to breakups and social snubs.”
That is a very interesting excerpt that you posted, I never thought about it in that way but makes perfect sense.  I could see why people develop a dependence on this as it helps them cope with anguish without even realizing it.
wow... had no clue others suffered with this.

thanks for everybody who shared their experience..... I thought I was being dramatic when I suggested to myself that I *may* be addicted to Excedrin.(I use the cheaper walmart generic kind)
I was basically laughing about it in my head as I googled the key words that led me to this site....  

I understand people being addicted to excedrin/tylenol PM, but OTC Excedrin? lol

I thought the FDA would've warned US about this type of thing?

crazy part is I've had access to Vicodin/tylenol 3/etc etc. and I've never let myself get addicted to those, maybe because I knew they were addictive and(possibly) destructive.   ??  

frickin big pharma...

Yes that could be why, when we take things over the counter we don't always think of the possibility of dependency.  It makes total sense though.  I have to pay attention to OTC just as I would anything.
I am reading these articles in amazement.  I have been a headache/migraine sufferer for 12 years now.  I've been through every test possible and tried many different medications.  I have a headache daily.  I finally searched the internet to see if Exedrin is addictive.  I've read some articles in different health journals that suggest that taking these drugs long term can actually cause you to feel pain differently.  You are actually feeling withdrawal headache.  I always wondered what was wrong with me, but I now feel its the medicine itself.  I am going to take the weekend and try and get off this stuff.  I hope I can.  Usually it sends me to the hospital.  I am going to try.   Wish me luck!
Good luck! :) (I didn't want your post to be overlooked) - and although I never had an addiction to excedrin, I understand anything is possible.

Hope you're feeling better soon.  :)And try doing some research on rebound headaches.  That might be what you're experiencing.
Best of luck lorig69!!! I posted earlier in the thread and still haven't been able to wean myself off of Excedrin. I'm letting myself down but I'm going to give it another go here in not too long. Take a focused week off and try to stop. It shouldn't be so hard but I don't know...when I try to stop, the headaches (withdrawal) make me feel like all the veins in my head are going to explode at the same time and I feel disoriented and incapacitated. It is a major goal of mine to get off this stuff--permanently. It must be similar to trying to quit other addictions.
Boy,  I just want to cry after reading all these posts.  I have been on Excedrin for 25 years and never a chance of getting off because the few times I tried the pain was unbearable,  always wished they could just put me under for a few days until the pain was gone.  I really don't know how people make it through that kind of pain.

And,  recently I had a migraine that took me too the emergency room with loss of speech and  cognitive understanding.  Really scary.  The neurologist did tell me some things I would like to share:

One of the problems in getting off Excedrin is that the pain is from the withdrawal and rebound headache,  but most of the time medications they can give to help migraines are useless until you get through that.  That rebound headache will break through almost any medication they have.

The preventative and many times the immediate relief drugs they have to help migraines are not very effective if you are in the chronic Excredin taking phase, somehow that lessens their effectiveness.

She put me on a preventative medication because the migraine was so severve and wanted to try and keep that from happening,  but warned, you are going to have to weene yourself off Excedrin or these preventative medications will not be very effective.

Very lucky for me, for some reason,  I have been able to pare back a good deal on the Excedrin without a big flare.  This morning only 1/4 tab to fend off the creeping headache.  That's like a miracle for me.

What I have noticed, is that I have chronic back pain that is sometimes better and sometimes worse.  Although I wasn't taking the excedrin for this,  I noticed, especially today,  that the back pain is really bad.  And I wonder if I'm not having that same re-bound effect.

Also,  the neurologist told me that you could take excedrin up to 3 days a week without getting into the rebounding.  Limited to 1 tab.  Unfortunately,  I'm not sure most  of us who are addicted can take 1 without taking 2.

Marsha
My son reports that he uses OTC medicines (like Excedrin Migraine) and left-over prescription meds (Oxycodone) to help with his back pain.  BUT, I am very concerned that he has become addicted to these drugs.  He won't tell me how many he is taking but I just found another empty bottle of Excedrin Migraine in my car and I'm scared to death.  I will share some of these posts about liver and kidney damage, as well as the addictive properties of Excedrin with him, in the hopes that he will listen to someone besides me.
It's incredibly scary to think that a 18 year old might have a substance abuse issue but this forum gives me some additional information to tackle this problem.  THank you all for sharing your stories!
I have been taking Execedrin fro 40 years.  I did not know it was addictive. Any time I have brought it up to a Dr. they have told me just to stop. My headaches get so severe I always go back. The first thing I do in the morning when I get up is take 2. I used to take about 6 in my younger days but I thought I was doing better now by just taking 2 in the morning and every once in a while 1 in the afternoon. I have had Ulcer surgery but the worst thing are these headaches if I do  not take my Excedrin. Thank everyone for your posts.  I know I have to stop.
I, too, am addicted to excedrine. I hate to admit it, but sadly, it's true. I am really ashamed by how many excedrine I take in a day. Honestly, I don't really know. I buy the generic walmart brand, the double pack. It has a couple hundred pills in a box. I buy a couple boxes every 1-2 months. I take 2 pills in the morning, 2 more a couple hours later, more a while later and before I go to bed. I also wake up during the night most nights and have to take 2 more. I hate having headaches all the time, but even more, I hate taking all the pills. I have stomach issues, get diarrhea, constipated, feel tired all the time, my memory isn't as good anymore. I have talked to a doctor before about seeing if there was something he could do to help me get away from excedrine, but he didn't seem interested. I also get bad migraines and have TMJ.
Has anyone found any other OTC Meds to help with the headaches while weaning themselves off of excedrine?
I cannot remember a time when I did not have migraines, although up until I was about 30 yrs, I did not know that's what they were.  I thought everybody had them, just part of living.  They were so bad, they would literally put me down.  In my youth, my Mother tried to treat them with aspirin, which just made me sick to my stomach, or Tylenol, which did absolutely nothing as far as I could tell.  NOTHING would touch my headaches, and because of this, I grew up thinking that all medications were worthless.  The only thing I could do for my headaches was hide in a dark room, curl up on a bed or couch, cover my head to keep out noise and light, and SUFFER!

When I married, my wife would try to get me to take drugs to help with headaches or other illnesses, but I refused because I knew they didn't work.  After a couple of years, I came down with a cold or flu and was running a high fever.  For 3 days this went on.  Finally, my wife got tired of me laying in bed while she babied me.  She came into my bedroom with a cup of water and a single aspirin, and told me I was going to take it even if she had to cram it down my throat.  So, I took it just to please her.  I was amazed that within a half hour, my fever had broken, and I was up and around.  I recovered from that disease very rapidly after that.

This showed me that medicines do work, they just didn't work on my headaches.  But, I cautiously began looking for and trying different medications in the hope I could find one that would work.  Then, in my mid-20s, I found Excedrin, and it worked!  I am not a coffee drinker or caffeine user, and the first time I tried Excedrin, I took 2 pills.  It sent me on a cheap buzz - ears ringing.  But it got rid of my headache within a half hour.  It was wonderful!  After that, I took only a single pill and it would work just as well.

This went on for several years.  It was a real BLESSING to me.  For the first time in my life, I was relatively headache free.  Then, my headaches gradually began to change.  I found I would often have to take 2 pills or another dose later in the day to completely kill off a headache.  I also started getting more moderate headaches (rebound headaches?) between the killer migraines.  The problem was I could not tell at the outset whether the headache I could feel coming on was a moderate one that I could endure, or if it would be a killer migraine.  I didn't feel I could take the risk, so I too wound up taking an average of 2 Excedrin every day.  This also went on for several years.

Then, between 2000 and 2005, disaster struck.  I experienced 3 episodes of serious GI tract bleeding, increasing in severity with each subsequent episode.  The last two, I was literally staring Death in the face.  The first was relatively mild, turning my stools black as tar for about 10 days, then just going away.  The second developed over 3 days, during which time I experienced diarrhea every 20 or 30 minutes or so of blood, almost black grape jelly-like.  I lost half my blood before I realized anything was really wrong, and ultimately wound up in ICU.  The third developed in a period of 3 HOURS, and I wound up in ICU again for 3 days.

Though the Dr.s never did figure out for sure what was causing the bleeding, they thought it could be the aspirin in the Excedrin, and told me to get off it.  The only problem was, Excedrin was the only thing that ever worked on my headaches, and I had no substitute for it.  Ultimately, I was prescribed Immitrex and Fioricet.  These both worked in some situations, but not always.  After being a guinea pig for the Dr.s for a couple of years, I was prescribed regimen of Propranalol and caffeine, which has not stopped my headaches, but it has helped eliminate the migraines.  The mild to moderate headaches I have now do respond to common OTC analgesics and are relatively easy to control.  I still have to use Excedrin, but rarely.

Was/am I addicted to Excedrin?  It would seem so because I took so much of it consistently.  But, I don't think I was or am.  What I was addicted to was the relief it provided from my migraines.  I still thank God for that.  I think Excedrin is a real blessing to migraine sufferers.  However, assuming it was the aspirin in Excedrin that caused my bleeding, it would be a good idea to find other medications that will work for you on migraines and rotate them with Excedrin to control the headaches.  This should help avoid getting addicted to any of the medications, and help avoid any adverse effects from them.

I truly feel for those who suffer such abominable migraine headaches.  I know what you are experiencing.  May God bless you and remove them from you.
Thank you for sharing!
I came to this website to find out when Excedrin would again be on the shelves.  It has been gone now for weeks because of the recall. When I finally had gone through the bottles I had had on the shelf (I am paranoid  about running out) ,  finally looked into generics. Those from Walmart worked best. Like many who have posted here, I too have had migraines since I was a teenager. I have been on all sorts of perscription medications. There IS a difference between my migraines and just a headache. I started unsung Excedrin when they came out with the migraine type. It would often head off a true migraine. This was when Imetrex was costing me well over $250 a perscription with insurance.  It was hard to pay the bills. I was often on the injectable type because the pills were too slow working. Then perscription painkillers were added. Only codeine seemed to help. But that didn't't help the vomiting. Couldn't take pills for that. They just cme up again.  Then the emergency room costs began to mount up. When I found that 2 Excedrin sometimes headed off a headache before it got so bad to need other remedies, I found myself taking 2 most mornings just so I could get out of bed. But unlike many here there are days when I do not take any. Not many, but a few. I had been wondering if I had become addicted , I do know about rebound headaches. two pills seem to do it for me. It is a very rare day I go looking for 2 more. Now my Imetrex intake is way down, but I think that is because it has gone generic and I am now more able to afford the prescriptions. Psychologically, not having on the drugstore shelf is starting to get to me. So maybe I am addicted after all. The thought of going 3 or more days with migraines really scares me. I'm 65 and small. It doesn't take much to dehydrate me, thus sending me to the emergency room. I guess this is a goog time to try cutting back. Has anyone gotten results by using a fourth less each day. Or half?  I'm sure where I would start?
Just went off Excedrine Migraine 9 days ago.  I am a very successful and well-educated woman.  I had been taking two pills a day for the last 4 years.  It started as a great way to avoid my migraines and then I got use to the "up" it gave me.  Well the withdrawal was horrible.  I felt like I had a concrete block on top of my head for the first 6 days....dizzy, disoriented (started my car and then was searching in my pocketbook for my keys!!), tired, pains in my neck, legs, arms, vivid dreams, woke up from one with my teeth clenched so tight I had to concentrate to open my mouth!  Needless to say....I got scared and made a Dr. appointment yesterday.  I was embarrassed and scared to tell him what was going on with me.   Well...he had heard my story many times before and said he had a patient who had to "check out of work" for two weeks to get off the stuff.  He said I am experiencing Rebound headaches.  He said my pain level and tolerance have been compromised by the excessive use of Execedrine.  He gave me some relief by telling me I should be over this within three weeks if not a little longer.  He suggested I take an Aleve to take the edge off the headache, as it would not make the Rebound headache totally go away.  It has helped somewhat.  The "fog" that I have been in is SLOWLY starting to lift.  To anyone who reads this....Do not give up!!!!  It will get better!!
I guess I'm lucky. I've only been taking one tablet in the morning for the caffeine, for many years. My doc says no problem, and you're getting your aspirin too! But I hate being dependent on pills, and I only drink decaf cola, etc. never coffee . I decided to stop because the acetaminophen is bad, but stopping 250mg of daily asprin is also risky. The caffeine in Excedrin is equal to only 1/3 cup of coffee, same as a 5hr energy. So for the last few days I've taken 1/3 of a 5hr plus 2 baby aspirin (162mg), and I'll continue to cut for a couple more weeks until I've stopped altogether.

No problems at all yet.
Update: I drank one 5hr 1/3 at a time for 3 days, then the second bottle 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/16 (only drops at this point). Took a single ibuprofen if I felt a headache coming on in late morning. After this regimen, I am caffeine free with minimal headaches!

Finding it hard to avoid caffeine when eating out - no DC, iced tea, etc. #firstworldproblems
Excedrin seems to be the only thing that help me when i get bad headaches and when i went to get more today, i was told by the store that all Excedrin products have been pulled from the shelf!?!?  Is there something going on?  I went to 3 different stores and found the same thing!
First off, akitagurl12, there is an Excedrin recall by its producer, Novartis, because - to quote them - "the products may contain stray tablets, capsules, or caplets from other products, or contain broken or chipped tablets." Supposedly the drug will start returning to shelves in a few months, but for now its pretty much impossible to get the brand-name drug in stores - although you can buy it at greatly hiked prices on Ebay!

BUT: most drugstores carry a generic version of Excedrin, and it's pretty much the exact same drug with the exact same ingredients (Acetaminophen, aspirin, caffeine) with the exact same effect. Walmart's generic brand, Equate, calls their generic version "Extra-Strength Headache Relief Tablets", as does CVS.

Meanwhile, I have been an Excedrin addict for almost 30 years at this point, and I will post shortly about my own issues with the drug and addiction. But first I need to get some rest. It's been an extreme problem for me, and also an issue that's extremely hard to get support around - nobody takes me seriously. I'm wondering if some of the folks around here who have been able to acknowledge the problem can help me with my own struggle...
I was addicted to Excedrin for many years and for a long time I thought it was probably only me, but as time went on I had a feeling I might find some stuff on the internet about it but I was too afraid to see any of it.  I didn't want to be told the truth so I hid it from myself.  Now I came across this and just as I suspected, there are many others who are having the same problem.  I want to tell you what finally worked for me.  

It was probably 15-20 years ago, I started taking excedrin when I would get a bad headache, then as time went on, I would take it when I just started to feel a headache come on, because I wanted to stave it off early.  Then I realized I was taking it more and more, just for even the thought of a headache, and eventually like so many posts I see here, I took it every day because if I didn't, I would get a headache because my body needed it.  

But I realized it was not only a physical addiction, but also a psychological addiction too.  I realized how the drug begins to feel like a friend, how I just could not bring myself to go without it, just because of the fear of the headache I thought I would get.  

Well after about 15 years, the excedrin was not working for me anymore; instead of the "energy boost" and happy feeling it had been giving me, I began to feel worse after taking it instead of better.  I felt sick and energy drained.  It didn't work as well on my headache anymore either.  I am pretty sure that I got some health problems from it.  I got the ringing in my ears that never would go away.  I eventually lost my sense of smell. I would get sore throat and sensitive lymph glands in my neck.  I was getting pain in my arms and muscles and weird prickly sensations on different parts of my skin.  Something (I thought maybe some organ) inside of my lower right side in my back, was sore... sore to the touch and just constantly sore just to move around.  I also had this feeling that the only way I could explain another thing I was feeling is my body felt like it was getting "crystalized".

Well I tried for two years to get myself off of the addiction; I tried bribing myself, tried doing it for different reasons' sake, tried praying, tried keeping a journal, tried telling myself that my "friend"(excedrin) had now become my enemy, tried everything I could, but had no success.  I now totally understand the problem of drug addiction.  If I was addicted to this "non addictive" over-the-counter drug, I could now understand the problem anyone would have getting off stronger addictive drugs.

Well I want to tell you I am now free of the addiction to excedrin and I guess I am addicted to something else in place of it, but it is at least not tearing down my health like the excedrin did.  I am actually getting better as time goes on.  I found Zipfizz.  I take one in the morning and one or two more throughout the day.  Sometimes if I really do have a headache when I wake up in the morning, I'll make a "double" right away.  They say you should not drink more than three of them in a day, but there are a few times that I have taken four in a day.  But there are days that only one does the trick and there are even some days I could go without any at all.

The hardest thing I think is really the psychological addiction.  You have such a hard time forgetting about taking the thing that you think you need.  It was like a security blanket.  It was such a scary feeling not to be doing the thing (taking the drug) that you thought was the only thing that would work, the only way you could go on and function.  
But there is good news...as you are successful to go days along without it, you slowly begin to loose the scared feeling and the security feeling about it.  I've had many days now that I actually have not even thought about it anymore.  That is such a good feeling, not to be so hooked to something.  It is the hardest battle I have ever fought.

One other thing that I found that helped me was to keep my rectum cleaned out with water.  I bought one of those suction things you get in the baby isle to suck out noses, and I squirt water into my anus after I go poop to clean it completely out of residue or poop left behind.  I know this sounds really weird, but I would actually start to feel slightly headachy whenever I know there was some in there to be cleaned out.  I have a feeling that I was so toxic from taking the excedrin all those years.  Your anus absorbs the water from your poop so I think that by keeping it clean there was not any toxin to be absorbing into my body.  Any feeling of headachiness would usually go away if I cleaned myself out.
About 12 years ago i asked a doctor if it was possible to be addicted to excedrin and he called me everything but stupid.  Well I took it for 20+ years and developed ulcers in my stomach, my stomach closed and I almost died.  They had to remove half of my stomach and some of my colon.  Then they had (as the doctors called it) re-route me.  I spent 6 weeks in a hospital and now I have a huge scar and bill.    It was from taken excedrin and yes I was addicted to them.  
PLEASE READ THIS IS REAL
I use Excedrin Migraine once an a while, is the only non-prescription medicine that works for me, but I understand all the concerns.  So what I do?  I reduced the dose to one, when are just starting the migraine signs, also I take baking soda with water to control the nausea and stomach bothering.  I meditate with frequency, and I void STRESS at all cost.  That is how I battle addiction, reducing the dose and be in harmony with everything.
I hope this helps.
PS: And I drink a lot of black tea...that is why I might not have diarrhea...(!?)
I am a registered nurse who took Excedrin for YEARS for  migraines. I will tell you this. Your addiction is to the caffeine in the Excedrin. And coming off of them is equivalent to tying to stop drinking coffee. The horrible headaches from not taking them is the rebound effect. You need them to stop the headache from NOT taking them. You have to wean yourself slowly. Plain and simple. And the stomach issues are common as well as aspirin is toxic to the stomach.  The only reason I had to stop taking Excedrin is because I developed an allergy to caffeine. My heart goes into an abnormal rhythm from any form of caffeine in any quantities. Sad, I know cause Excedrin was my savior when it comes to my migraines.
My husband weaned himself off excederin and caffeine after 10 years. It took 2 months before there was significant improvement so please be patient.  Now that his headached aren't as frequent and he is not numbing himself with OTCs he has also discovered a number of food triggers that have contributed to his hjeadached (wine, cheese, nuts, sweetners).  good luck!
WOW! It is glorious to find others who suffer with this problem as it gives me hope that I can lick this addiction.

I've suffered with migraines for over 30 yrs. I've been on every prescription medication there is for migraines and nothing ever helped.

I'm 61 now and have been using Excedrin for migraine for around 10 yrs. I can't say I have a specific amount I take but I know it is way too much. Lately I've been having too many moderate headaches, nearly every day and a bit of diarrhea now and again. I use to chalk it up to the beginning of a migraine do to the weather or chocolate as they are both bad triggers for me, but now I'm sure they are rebound headaches. Not sure if the diarrhea is a part of it or not, but most likely is.

Wish me luck! Starting tonight I'm going to try and stop taking it a little at a time as I don't think I could handle cold turkey.
I'm a 68 year old male in very good health....except for daily headaches.  I do not drink coke or coffee and drink decaf tea.  I started with Extra Strength Excedren (WM Equate) about 15 years ago from work stress headache at base of skull.  That is where all my headache pain is....very tight muscles at top of shoulders and base of neck..  Do not have any migrane (migraine) symptoms.  I took daily.  At max, I would take 2 pills 3 x per day.  Retired about 8 yrs ago, but I was already addicted.  Went to Headache Clinic 5 yrs ago and they said it was rebound headache but NO mention of caffine.  By chance I determined it was the caffine. For past few years, been taking about 4 Excedren pills a day....sometimes 1 at a time, sometimes 2.  Last month went back to Clinic and Dr prescribed Elavil to help get me off the Excedren (He told me about it's primary use).  Anyway, I take 20 mg each night.  Within the last month, I have reduced use of Excedren by taking straight caffine pills, generally 300mg total for a day.  For last 3 days, zero excedren and 100 mg caffine 3x per day (one early morning, one around noon and one early evening).   Headaches are generally under control with the 300 mg daily straight caffine.

So................is daily 300mg of caffine better or worse on my body than 3 Excedren pills with total of 195 mg (65 mg caffine per pill).  If equal, I get slightly better results with the Excedren and would probably switch back to that.
I see the comments and it relates strongly to me.For years, I was a heavy, everyday user of Excedrin PM. Not for physical pain, but for wanting to sleep. I hated being awake because it was so depressing (still do), so as soon as I would wake up, I would take a bunch of PM (various brands, but always as strong as I could find). By the time I stopped a year ago, I was taking 20 at a time, 4 times a day. Apparently from reading here, that is a lot (and no those aren't typos or lying for effect).

By the time it was coming to an end, My weight was down below 100lbs (I'm 5ft 5), due to a lot of throwing up. One time, suddenly all of my hearing stopped in one ear. I mean everything, and that lasted a full week. My left ear still rings non-stop a bit, but I've learned to ignore it. My teeth starting weakening and falling out and I now look like a meth addict (making me pretty much unemployable). I was so weak, I would sit and shake for hours; my handwriting resembled a 3 year old drawing. My memory was shot: For example, I could be talking to someone and I would start to reply. But then halfway through I would forget what I was saying. And then I would flat out forget what I was even responding to at all. As if the other person said nothing. My eyesight started to go. First slowly, but then in recent weeks/months, it has gotten a lot worse really fast, within 2 months my left eye has gone completely useless. I coincidentally have a dr appt today about it, but my last one, they couldn't even do a reguar eye test on it. They did something called a CFF test, and I measured a CFF2, meaning I Could read fingers 2 feet in front of me (but to be honest, it was still guesswork based on shadows).

Then a year ago, I figured I had to admit that the PM were causing the problems, so I just stopped. Felt like garbage for a few days, but it was never really a challenge to stop. I just did. Now, can I say that these symptoms are all from the PM? Not at all, especially since all the teeth falling out happened after I stopped. But, there was nothing else going on in my life, and I was taking upwards of 100 pills a day on some days. In the year since then, I've seen almost no real information that doesn't sound like just generic butt-covering that too much PM could lead to these problems, so maybe it is just a coincidence. I don't know. I do still wish every day I could find something that allowed me to fall asleep as soon as I wake up.

And they really didn't help me sleep, either.
Hi well I think EXCEDERIN IS ADDICTIVE IM 34 STRUGGLING WITH THYROID DISORDER AND LEFT WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE I HADN'T TAKEN EXCEDRIN FOR A WEEK I'M SUFFERING MIGRAINES AND MY BODY IS ASKING FOR IT BUT I GAVE UP COLD TURKEY YES IT IS VERY ADDICTIVE STOP NOW THAT YOU CAN I WISH I WOULD HAVE NEVER TOUCHED THEM DUMB A@@ PILLS
I am on the raw foods diet.  On the diet I still have some chronic headache pain but no migraines.  I now am feeling pretty good and have started to wean off the 3 generic Excedrins a day.  I have taken Excedrin for 39 years.  For a long time I took 12 a day.  I weaned down to 3 because I thought I had a bleeding ulcer.  Now I see red marks on my arms which my husband said are due to bleeding under the skin due to the blood thinning effect of aspirin.  The red spots then turn to brown spots.  I'm much too vain to put up with this!  I am so glad nothing worse has happened to me!  I now have 1 Excedrin and two cups of coffee a day and plan to go to just coffee soon and then wean off that.  (then maybe I can go off the prescribed sleeping medication I take due to caffeine making me so hyper!)  What a mess!  This has been so convoluted all beginning with simple coffee causing chronic headaches and migraines which were "relieved" by Excedrin!  And 39 years later!  And really...without the raw foods diet I still would not consider giving up the generic Excedrin.  I thank you all for your posts and the hope you give me. I will probably read your posts over and over for awhile.
Another Excedrin Migraine addict of many years here, and a coffee drinker to boot.  This is my second day off EM but I was hurting so much at the grocery store, I picked up some Tylenol Arthritis which helped, along with a nap.  I know the evils of Tylenol but it doesn't seem as scary or addictive as EM.  Hoping to get off OTC pain meds altogether, but can't do it without a small amount of relief.  Coffee helps some but should taper off on that, too.  I'm also on omeprazole for reflux--but it's getting better already without the acid of EM.    

Rebound headaches have been awful; plus my heart would pound and I felt fuzzy-headed with low energy.
I have been a reader of mercola.com for years.  I would suggest you all try eft.  It is a simple way to correct the emotional reason for addiction.  It is nothing short of amazing.  It seems weird at first, but once you do it and get results, you will also find it amazing.  You can learn it for free so this is not someone out to make a buck although there are many practitioners out there to help.  You can go on youtube and find many tap alongs as well.  Just search "eft addiction"  Here is a link from mercola.com - http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/04/15/a-new-way-to-conquer-addictions.aspx
I also find Robert Smith from faster eft to be a very good resource.  Search for him on youtube as well.  Many of his earlier videos are very helpful.  The cdc says up to something like 80% if physical problems have an emotional basis, this will help remove the emotional issue.  Hope you find this useful, it will change your life.
I am also addicted to Excedrin  - 58 yrs old, taking one a day for about 12 years.  Did you ever kick the addiction?  If so, I'd love to know how. I thought it may help for me to wean myself by taking 3/4 tablet for several days, then 1/2, then 1/4 etc.  Would love to know if you had success in going totally off of Excedrin.  I think they should have to put on the bottle that it is very addicting.  There are no warnings that I know of.