Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Help for Heroin Addict

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Help for Heroin Addict

hii im new to this i have a cuzin who is a heroin addict we were always very close but now im afraid everyday that this ia going to be the day i find out he is found dead...he is in big trouble for owing money to drug dealers 2 days ago he was attaked and is now in hospital...his arms and legs are destroyed from injecting and he is gone to skin and bone...we have tried everything to help him but nothing seems to stick with him....has anyone delt with this before that can help me??
Tags: HEROIN, addict
i totally agree... listen, just be strong. try not to let it cosume you the way it comsumes my gram cuz it really makes her a nut haha. i have a probably unhealthy distance from the situation and chose to not think bout the past at all or really deal with the present but if i did i wouldnt have a life. i would be a crying mess all day everyday...just keep faith, continue to support as much as you can and feel free to vent whenever you need it. def keep us posted. it totally helps to know we're not alone in all this crap. Misery loves company haha j/j really though, anytime...

I had a friend that was a heroin addict he love that high heroin how ever it can be controlled with methadone.   Have you seen about getting him to a methadone clinic if you don't it will be hard for him to stop.   My old friend was found dead from to much herion he went to sleep and his heart quit working.  Hope you get him the right help his life could depend on it.
I am sorry to hear you cousin got attacked. Thank GOD he wasn't killed. Hopefully this will open his eyes. Has he ever been to inpatient rehab? Is he willing to go?
The addict has to admit he has a problem before recovery is possible.
When they are in actice addiction nothing matters to them but getting high. Everything in their life revolves around getting and using drugs. Have the social workers and or chaplain speak with him while he is in the hospital prayerfully they can offer him some hope.
I will tell you as long as he has breathe there is hope for recovery. Pray and ask GOD to break the chains and bondage of addiction.
I will pray for his healing and that the LORD will open his open to his addiction
Debbie
He has been on methadone a few times throughout the years it dose not seem to help him...He started a new methadone programme a few weeks back wen we all got together to tell him he needs to change...I thought he was doing well until sunday wen we got the phone call he was in hospital and when we went to his house to get clothes for him we found needles and tin foil a burnt spoon all the things you need to inject heroin along with cocaine, weed,and alcohol...I dont understand how he even survives all them drugs together...he is still in hospital and says he wants to get clean and he seems really committed but we have been here so many times b4 so and been dissapointed....He is not a bad guy he is one of the nicest ppl you cud meet but How do you know wen enough is enough and wen its time to face that he will never change and just walk away...or do you just stick it out until the end and hope he will change??
hey, my mom was a heroine addict for many years. about 7. my grandma took me away from her when i was 10 and i moved in with my dad. my gram worries all the time about her to this day although she is mostly better now, 15 yrs later. basically my gram never gave up. she sent flowers to her whenever she found out where she was living or working, she went to ny to look for her so many times to try and talk her out of it and finally one night when she went to ny my gram saw her walking down the street and my mom just got in the car and finally came home, went to rehab and got clean. It has to be the addicts decision... there isnt much anyone can say to turn them around. they have to hit "rock bottom"... my mom had been to rehab a couple times and jail, and to this day goes on and off methadone. she has slipped up and gotten better but in the end all you can really do is continue to be there if they need you emotionally ( not financially, cuz who knows where the money would go) let them know you care and love them and hope that they will finally see the light.
Thank you for sharing your story with me....I know in my own heart that i would never be able to live with myself if i walked away from him but sometimes it gets really hard to deal with...He is such a nice guy and anybody that knows him 5 mins knows that...I dnt blame him for any of this he is an addict and that is a sickness he has very little control over...I am just at a loss at this point i know i cannot make him change but i know that if he dose not he will not be alive by christmas he is so bad on this drug....I never thought i would hate anybody but at this point i wud say that i hate the drug deals that profit from selling drugs lik these... they are killing people and destroying there families!!
Thank you so much girl that comment really cheered me up...I went out to the hospital today and he seems a lot better his apperence and his mind...he seems really serious about getting help and is set to go into a 4 month rehab programe up the country next friday...he cannot go in sooner as he has to be on 50ml of methadone so the have to get him down from 125 ml....Ur totally right tho i cannot get too worked up over him i will be there when he needs me but i will not let it consume my life it s not fair to myself...Thank you very much u helped me more than u will know..
that is really great news that he is doing better and he is going to a rehab. that is wonderful.
my husband was an addict for 14 years of our marriage. the last 5 yrs were really horrible. my life and the life of my children became engulfed with his addiction. everything revolved around it. it was all consuming. when i stepped back and started to focus on myself and my children he finally left the house. one yr. later he went into a chrisitan rehab. and has now been clean for 18 months.  there is always hope. we never know when the light bulb will go on. they have to hit their bottom and be sick and tired of being sick and tired. it took my husband 14 yrs. to figure it out. that had been his second time around. he had been clean for 10 yrs before he had relapsed that time. i hope and pray he is done.
he is 57 and  had addiction issues for 25 yrs.
keep the faith. wow how is he feeling? they are tapering him very quickly?
thats really great that he will be in a program! im glad to hear he was looking better too. At least in the meantime he is in the hospital. Are they keeping him there during the whole taper down to 50ml?
He's really going to have alot of time to think in the rehab... when he comes out it'll be whole new ball game... he really needs to surround himself with family and friends who dont do drugs at all. Nothing! not even weed. It is a gateway drug afterall haha

Its so funny how these forums really help us all out...i never even asked my question i came on here to ask, i just ended up sitting here reading everything that everyone was going thru and essentially answered my own question.

Keep me posted on his prgress as well as YOURS. stay positive. talk to you soon!
Hi im so sorry about your cousin. My son is addicted to heroin, we're going to start giving him vivitral, it's non-addictive non narcotic and blocks pleasure receptors to the brain activated by shooting. Check into it, it's relatively new treatment for heroin addicts, supposed to be an 86% success rate. Good luck and stay strong.
hey you, any updates to share? hope things are going well. write soon if you can:)
Hi grl i dunno what the situation is now when he left hospital he was all talk about rehab but he soon forgot about it saying he feels fine and he can do it himself...He dad left him come bk home to get clean b4 goin to rehab but after a week his dad had to go away for a few days and i called up to cheak on how he was doing and i saw him getting into a dodgy car but he didnt recognise my car so he didnt know i was there...i played dumb as if i saw nothing and asked him what hed done 4 the day and the lies came spilling out...when i told him some1 saw him getting into a car he tried to say it was his sponsers and when i asked what kind of car he had he said a wine focas but i had seen him get into a silver toyota...i told my cuz lisa (his sister) and she rang his sponser and he said he didn hear from him in days and he hadnt been to any meetings since his dad left which isnt a good sign....I dunno what he is going to do but i am taking a step bk and going to leave hiim at it...Iv decided to go and work in crete for 6 months from april to october next yr and im focasing on that at the moment...I cant make him do it so im gonna focas on the people who ask for my help...
hmmm... well first off congrats to you for picking up and moving foward! like, crete greece?! intresting...
it was definately poor timing for his dad to leave him with no supervision but def not his fault. i guess your cuz hasnt his rock bottom yet, and sad to say he wont unless his parents kick him out. im curious to know why he couldnt go right into a rehab after the hospital. either way its his responsibility and like you said, you cant keep trying to help someone who doesnt want it. hopefully one day he'll open his eyes and see the light :) stay in touch when you can ellz