Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Help for a 20yo heroin addict

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Help for a 20yo heroin addict

Should I kick him out of my house? What would you do? It's  my kid. The heroin addict that is.
Hi there and welcome! That's a very difficult question to answer. If you could provide more detail, perhaps that would help! Have you tried to help him? Is he willing to try to quit using and get help? What is your situation and what have you been dealing with? I know he is your kid, but sometimes asking him to or making him leave may be your only answer! Ther are lots of wonderful, understanding and caring people here who will give you great advice and support! Hang in there and please tell us your story! All the best, hugs and prayers to you!
First I want to say, i'm sorry, very sorry you and your family are going thru this. You didn't give very much information, does your son want help? Has he had any therapy yet? How long have you known about his addiction and how long has he been using? If he wants help, that's what you do. Heroin is a very insidious drug that takes a loved one and turns them into a stranger. Stay strong, i'll pray for your son.

Alexandria
He says he not addicted! He know more about drugs than most. He thinks he to strong minded and can quit when ever he wants. He has been using for?? I'm not sure how long, I'm guessing for awhile. He just recently got a job so he has money until he spends it all on drugs before his next pay check. Then asks to borrow money for " food" till he get paid again. He doesn't want help cuz help is for people that have a problem as far as he's concerned he doesn't. My wife keeps finding plastic wrappers under his bed when is asked him what they were for he's admitted it but won't say how long he has been using. I made him watch dope sick love with me but he kept leaving the room.
Well, a couple of things: he "says"  he can quit whenever he wants to, but has he ever tried to quit? I'm betting it would be much harder than he thinks! Second, heroin is an illegal drug! He is potentially putting himself AND you at risk! He has a job! Well, maybe it's time he grows up and finds out what it is like to live on his own and have to pay not only for food, but rent, and utilities and living expenses as well! You might try an ultimatum and if  he he doesn't agree to getting help and quitting then he will have to leave! You must be committed to following through with it, though! I think that is what I would try first! Also you may want to check out a group such as Alanon! There, you will get support from parents and family members who are in your similar situation! Take care and I wish you all the best! Please post here whenever you need support!
Thanks that's sounds like the best option. The get help or else...
Good luck! Stick around and let us know how it goes! Take care!
Thanks...stay tuned I will let you know how it goes
Hi Mikey..  How did this turn out ? Is your son still at home ? I can guess by your status that things have remained the same ? I will send a Prayer tonight and look forward to a update on how you and your wife are doing and how your son is doing in his addiction.. Hope you are resting tonight. lesa
Well we had THE blow out tonight had the biggest cops in town over! He told me today after I confronted him about the burnt tin foil my wife found in his room this morning, he told to f off. When I told him he could tell the police that he told me he would cuz their a bunch of pussys. That changed when the big cops showed up. Anyhow they let him know if I wanted him out they would make sure it happened. I'm giving him one chance to see a psycatrist next week to see where we go next. However if we find any evidence of heroin he out no more chances. Stay tuned
i just wanted to show you some support.  You seem to be going through something similar to what my parents are going through with my brother.  However, they are not even confronting him anymore.  They are just ignoring it, and pretty much letting him take over their house.  He leaves needles all over the place now.  It is very disturbing to hear about. My brother doesn't want to stop either. I don't know what the right anwser is, because either way it is going to hurt like h e l l, but as a recoverying addict myself, i only even thought about getting clean once my life started getting very unmanagable and i was getting to the point where i wasn't going to be able to keep my home because of all the money i was spending.  I didn't have a choice but to stop. That was a pill addiction. I don't know anything about herion, though. I don't know how much different it affects someone's brain and their thought process.  I do think the more you don't tolerate his use in your home and the harder you make it for him, the better.  I know it sounds harsh, but your life and sanity matters too!
They all say they can stop when they want.There is nothing further than the truth.Try to get him help.I've seen many people die from heroin.I'm so sorry you're going thrue this.
God Bless.