Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Help with family member

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Help with family member

Hi, I am new to this, but I am asking for some advice. My husband's sister is an addict. She is also a compulsive liar and thief. It has been a long road to this point. She has three children that are neglected. My SIL, has now stolen a prescription pad from a nurse prationer that she was working for. She wrote out rxs in her and her husbands name. They were for Vicodin, soma, perceset, and others. The police arrested her and she has 9 felony charges.
Now my question is in regards to the children, who is responsible for them?  Before this incidence it was clear they were in trouble. Each of the kids is morbidly obese, has emotional problems and severe health concerns. It was never clear weather they were seen by doctors and each were taking a lot of pills as well. The SIL also had stollen a prescription pad from pediatrician, which wasn't reported. She would write out excuses for missing school, getting out of waiting in lines and so on. She had givens a stack when we took them on vacation and told me to fill them out if I needed. Of course I did not. The other family members, including my husband would not allow me to turn her in for fear that she would loose the kids. But now I feel like I should have. I am having a hard time dealing with the guilt of not doing something.  I am afraid something will happen to them. Any advice, should I stay out of it like I have or do I owe it to the kids to try to help them?
be there for support for the kids. is the dad a fit parent? as far as ur sil goes stay out of that mess but if the kids r in trouble step in. kids cant help who their parents r. and dont always kno that things r wrong.
She is going to be in enough trouble as it is. Its a big crime. I read a news article last week where a lady got 20 years in prison for the same thing and in her state there is no parole. I think better to leave it at that. As a family you all be be somewhat responsible for raising the children.
I appreciate the feedback!  Maybe I didn't explain well enough, her children are still with her while she is facing these charges. Appartantly in this state child services didn't get involved like I had hoped. The children are still missing school, have frequent health issues and are getting more and more obese. The littlest one is covered with sores, rashes and has lost sight in one eye. The middle is violent and literally so big he can't climb stairs. The school, doctors or the police have not done a follow up as far as I can tell. What I was asking, would it be ethical of me to ignore what I am seeing from the kids or not?  I don't care what happens to the mother she is beyond any form of help other than a prison stay or some in patient treatment center.
if the kids r in trouble only if theyre being harmed u can put in an anonymus tip to cps so they investigate. and put it in some1 elses hands. i personally am not a fan of taking peoples kids but if they in harms way . they dont deserve it. personally if some1 would take my daughter i would die. but she was always well taken care of. if its not safe some1 should look out for the best intrest of the child