Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
How can I help my husband get off of meth?

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

My husband of 14 years is addicted to meth. He has been using for about 2 years now. A few months ago, I had him involuntarily committed for addiction. He was in for 30 days. The very day he was released, he went back to his dope. Short of leaving him, what can I do?? I feel so helpless and afraid. He is very violent and unpredictable. I never know what kind of mood he is going to be in. Most nights I do not know where he is. He has health problems other than the addiction and I worry every night that I'm going to wake up in the morning and find him dead. Is there any way for me to help him?
Hi There,

I'm afraid until your husband wants to get clean there is very little you can do to help him. At this moment you need to look after you. Do you have children?

You could try to encourage him to join this site for himself. There are many people on here who are getting clean/ are clean from meth with lots of good advice for him, it won't be easy but it can be done.

He has to take the first step himself and he is very lucky having a wife that wants to help and support him. There is another forum on this site just click on forums top left and scroll to addiction; living with an addict...you will be able to get some support for you there.

I hope your husband wants to be free from drugs, if so, we'll be here to help and cheer him on all the way.

Good luck
Jane x
Hi. Welcome to the site. I wish there was another way... But unfortunately, no. There really isn't much you can do for him unless HE wants the help. Addiction is a terrible thing. I am  So  sorry that he doesn't understand what he is putting you through. It's just awful to sit  on the sidelines and watch someone go through this. My heart goes out to you. But he's already proven to you he isn't ready or willing to quit. And that's heart wrenching.  You need to start thinking about yourself. And what his problems are doing to you and your family. I strongly suggest you look into an Alenon program. It's a place for the families of addicts who are suffering as you are. It is based on alcoholism. But there are plenty there who are going through what you are.  There are sites on the web you can go to, to find the closest one.  As painful as it is. You can't will someone into choosing to get clean. Whether it be drugs or alcohol. And you have to put yourself and you're family first. Maybe if he sees you going to the Alonon meetings, he'll realize just how much pain he's causing you. But again, you need to put yourself first. I may not be spelling "Alonon" correctly, so please forgive me for that. I am an Opiod (pain killers) addict. And I know how much pain my addiction has caused my Family. And I wish I had a better answer for you. But until someone WANTS to quit. You can't do anything for them. Again, I am so sorry you are having to go through this.  There may be a forum on the site for families of addicts. But I'm sure. Others will be on that may be able to point you to some guidance for families of addicts. I wish you well. And hope you're husband comes to terms with what he's putting you through. My heart goes out to you.
Dan
I have a daughter but she is grown and out of the house. Unfortunately, she will no longer even come for a visit if my husband is home. She has seen first hand how meth has taken over his life. My heart breaks when I think of the things she has witnessed and I am overcome with soul shattering guilt for putting her thru that.
Thank you so much for your kind words. I will check into Alanon in my area. Fingers crossed that there is one here!