Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
How to help my best friend- heroin
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How to help my best friend- heroin

I have known him since we were like 7, and he and I are now in our twenties. Over the past few years he has become addicted to heroin and now he is in jail because of actions while he was on the drugs. He will lie compulsively when on those drugs and its just so sad to see him get so terrible on them when he is such a wonderful guy normally. He has gone through withdrawal before and I had no idea what was going on till he was kicking and so sick, it was so obvious he really wanted to get better, but I have never done a hard drug in my life and didn't really know how to help him I just stayed with him for a week till it was over, then he started them again. He will be getting out of jail soon and I know he needs to get help still, any suggestions. He wants like rehab or a halfway house and he agrees he needs it for a good 6 months at least. Any ideas on low cost half way houses or rehabs, and which should he look at half way houses or rehabs. He and I agreed outpatient care is out of the question.  
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2083449_tn?1381358308
Hi Natalie, and welcome! You are such a great friend for wanting to help him. I'm glad to read that he does want to seek treatment for his addiction. Have you tried Googling or an online search for halfway houses or rehab facilities in your area? I think that would be a good place to start. Then, you can get some numbers to call, and get some information. Make sure you make a list of all the questions you and him may have. Also, check out an Alanon meeting in your area. This is a wonderful community of support for people who care about friends or relatives who are addicted. You will get lots of advice and support there. I wish you all the very best. Please keep posting and let us know if you have any questions or need some support. I apologize that it's been a bit slow around here due to the holiday.

Take care!
Blank
When i was detoxing off booze years ago I stayed at a low cost halfway house for a week while facing DTs. They let me pay the small bill back $15 per month.
it took a long while to pay it back, but I did, faithfully and proudly
Call NA or ALANON or similar groups in your area for pricing ideas
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Living with an Addict Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949