I don't know what it is
My boyfriend was an addict for about 15 years. He had been clean for two years and then started using suboxone for about 3 months. He took Kratom for about 2-3 weeks coming off the suboxone. Now for the past few weeks he has been super sweet one minute and then not mean but very snappy the next. I know he isnt on anything to hard because  he is on task/color code and gets tested twice a month and so far has passed everything. He never sleeps at night but cant wake up during the day, he has horrible mood swings that can change in the blink of an eye, he also nods out alot while we are watching TV. I am a recovering addict but I am not sure what he could be taking while passing drug test. I am pretty positive he is using something I just want to know what it may be before I talk to him about it.
Does he know when the tests are coming?

He knows he has to test twice a month.
The more I study up on different things the more I think he is taking tramadol. Are there any specific signs to look for with tramadol? I was a heroin addict, I never used a whole lot of anything else. I don't know what to look for, but I know he isnt tested for it.
What is he tested for?  It should be a complete panel.  Tramadol isnt going to give him that nodding off or the Jeckly/Hyde personality.

How long have you been clean off Heroin?