Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
I need help with my dads crack addiction
About This Community:

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I need help with my dads crack addiction

Hi, please someone help me to say the right thing to help get my dad off crack. He has been a daily user for 5 years. He is afraid to go to NA meeting because he is worried about his real estate license. I know it is just an excuse because I told him that there are cops, judges and all walks of life that attend meetings. I am tired of enabling him, and so is everyone else in our family. Please help.
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1700643_tn?1348985292
Na is anonomous.he knows that its an excuse.U cant do or say the right thing because there is no right thing when an addict isnt ready to quit.All u need to do is stop enabling.Find alnon meetings go and learn how stop enabling,b able to b there for him as ur dad but not help him n his addiction or enable him n anyway.At this point its about YOU getting better.focus on u now.
Blank
3060903_tn?1390303996
I agree with overopiates, you need to stop enabling him at the very least. You need to let him know that he is letting you down, by not getting help. He can see an addictions counselor in private and be involved in online meetings.You can tell him from me, (a reformed crack addict) "Where there's a Will, There's a Way". Also, he can find plenty of support here on Medhelp, there's lots and lots of addicts here, and some have been addicted to crack, like myself and my husband. We can support him and understand what he's going through and how he can quit. You're doing the right thing reaching out, now please get to Alanon and learn about his disease, that's how you can actively help your dad right now honey. I'm sending out prayers for you, I'm so sorry that you're feeling so sad about this and so overwhelmed. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you. Liz
Blank
I am sorry, still learning to navigate this site. Thank you for the support. I need them all. AA, NA, Al-non, and any other thing you can be addicted to I am. A full blown alcoholic, addict & enabler.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Living with an Addict Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...