Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
I need some advice...

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

I need some advice...

OK I will apologize in advance because this may be long. My husband is addicted to opiate pain killers. Hydrocodone is his choice but he will take whatever he can get. He's been taking them for nearly 6 years and I'm not exactly sure of his intake but I know it's anywhere from 20mg a day up to 100mg a day. He's finally realizing what his addiction is doing to our family and that it doesn't only effect him. We are always broke, the bills are never paid we have been threatened eviction over and over. Luckily our landlord is soft hearted and doesn't want to see our kids thrown out. We constantly have to borrow money because he's buying pills or accepts pills as payment for side work he does. no body trusts him anymore and he has a lot of enemies. He's resorted to stealing to get things we need and I just can't handle it anymore. So on to my question. He has said he wants to get off of them but is afraid of the withdrawl (withdrawal). Is there anything he can take to help him through it and what can I do to help? I must also say that his family doesn't help with his addiction. His mother supplies him and his uncle and cousin (whom we all live close to as in right next door close) are addicts also. his mother makes money by selling her pills to him which is about a $200 a week payment for her so she doesn't really want him to quit. His uncle and cousin are constantly asking him to hook them up or helping him find a hook up. Same goes for where he works. Everyone there does the same thing he does. So with that being said how can I help him get off these so he can make a better life for himself and our family?
Hi Jag and sorry your delimma. There is no easy way out of this as he has easy access to pills. He cant really avoid withdrawals and in some ways will just have to suck it up and deal with them. If he can do a taper, would be the least of the withdrawals as the drug will get to a lower affect in his body as he tapers, When at low intake level he can make the jump. This is a good way for him but someone has to control the pills and in your case they are everywhere.
He has to really want to do this and please let him know that if he does not make an effort, then hitting rock bottom is in the waiting.

Just tell him the time as come and his days of pill taking has run its course. Cold turkey might be the only way.
Maybe tell him to join this forum for an open ear. Many here have been in his shoes.
Best of luck
Reading all the posts, answers, questions, health pages, etc. will help you a lot.  There is another forum that is really active called "Substance Abuse Forum".  Your hubby would learn a lot (and so would you for that matter).
You can read as many things as you want for as long as you want any time of day or night!  (maybe you already know that, but I sure didn't when I was new to MedHelp).  
You can even read some journals on each person's sign on name if they have a journal posted on their profile page and they have the security setting on "everyone" or "public"  You can make your journals private or not, and they can each be set to a different privacy setting.

I would like to share a journal I have posted that your hubby may relate to, may take his breath away (if he's not too opiate saturated when he reads it)
Click on my sign on name here and then on my profile page you can scroll down to the journal that is titled "Letter from my Addiction".  It isn't original by me, but was so powerful I wanted to share it with others.  Addiction is a family illness and effects you all.  Keep postin, asking questions and most of all reading.......you are not alone in this......and neither is your hubby.
Blessings to you~
first off ppl places n things....need to change in order to stay clean.if he has all these triggers around its nearly impossible.maybehe should start off by styin away from family that uses cuz at the monment he needs that job.thats gonna have to change too if hes usin w those ppl.as far as the withdrawals go im w the poster above decrease what hes takin so the w/ds wont be as bad..im takin methadone n have gotten down to 1mg now with lil w/d..so decreasing slowly is the way to go....good luck
oh if he cant stand the fact his gonna w/d  see if he could find a methadone clinic..alot of ppl dont agree w it but it saved me