Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
It will get better.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

It will get better.

Well, I wanted to introduce myself. I was married to a drug addict for several years. I  definitely consider myself to be a survivor though. I made it through the physical and mental abuse. My ex-husband was my very best friend. I thought the world of him. I believed I could stop his addiction. I believed if I hid the money or found ways to keep him away from his triggers then he would stop. I figured with my help that I could help him get through his struggle.

It took a long time for me to realize that it was not about me.  I have learned to find the positive points from my experience and use them to motivate myself to be a better person.

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read this. It will get better.

Thank you.
B.N.
hi and welcome. Very profound writing and realization. Its all about them. Thanks for sharing
Welcome! Good sharing. You've been through some desperate struggles. How did you get better and change?
Thank you both for responding. I appreciate that!

It was so hard for me to change. It was a lifestyle that I had grown accustomed to. It finally was able to get better, but not until  I was away from him (and the situation) as a whole. After about a year of being away from my ex-husband I finally started to realize how crazy 'life' was for me back then. I accepted that I deserve better. Then finally I started to have peace.

I literally remember at one point thinking that there was no way I would be leaving that relationship alive... but somehow I survived and it DID get better.

Thanks for your time!
B,N