Aa
A
A
Close
Looking for other's thoughts
"My addict" is my husband. He has been clean from opiates for 8 months after using consistently for almost 6 years on and off for 15. When we met, he was not addicted, but due to back issues, and working a shift job with an inconsistent sleep schedule for 15 years, he became an addict. We have a pre-teen son, too. He tried rehab several times over the last 5 years and so far has been successful this third try; however, even though he is sober, he is not back to "normal". Guilt, embarrassment, and depression have taken the place of fun-loving and happy. Is there anyone out there who is in a similar situation? If so, what tools do you use to live with an addict? I know he will always be an addict using or not, but does the mental game get better? How long before you saw signs of the real man? Will I always walk on egg shells? I don't need the fairy tale. I just would like simple and happy, a husband and father.
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
I have lived with an alcoholic for 9 years when he was really bad I asked myself the same questions but since he has stopped drinking and sought help things have been wonderful things can get better but it takes a lot of work and sacrifice and above all patients but every case is different so just tread carefully and protect yourself emotionally make sure u don't hurt yourself waiting for him to switch over just my opinion
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
1551327 tn?1414146344
Has it been like this the whole 8 months or dd he do a little better in the first few months?
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Addiction: Living with an Addict Community Resources