Addiction: Living with an Addict Community
Methadone?

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION: LIVING WITH AN ADDICT COMMUNITY. This patient support community is for family members and loved ones of people who are substance abuse addicts. Discussions cover how to help your loved one, enabling, coping with the emotional impact of addiction, intervention, and when to seek medical help. If you are not a family member of a substance abuse addict and instead need help with your addiction, please visit our Addiction: Substance Abuse Community to get the support you need.

Methadone?

Hello all, Its killing me to think that my fiancé may be using heroin. I am not sure though, please help!
I will start by saying he is on methadone. Since we met and started dating he claims it is pain management for his back. Its always in te back of my mind, what if, because he nods off and I read a lot that methadone doesn't make you do that! He is a great guy, who has never come off as being untruthful, and we share a daughter together. Sometimes I get angry at him because I "just wish he was normal." Almost daily I feel that he is like a zombie! :-( lacking emotion and energy. He seems "depressed" and I can consider him as an angry individual. It is all very frustrating. I want to make this work with him for our daughter.. I will do anything. Some of his symptoms are: sweating, nodding off certain times of day, small pupils some time, and "zombie like." also he is angry and irritable all the time. :-(

Does methadone make a person do any of this? I have to add that he smokes marijuana, and says it helps with his back problem. Can this be making him so irritable and tired? Please, anyone help!! Thank you so much!
Hi Lexy. Welcome to the forum.. Once he is stable on the done he should not be nodding off anymore.. any opiate will numb emotions but I have to wonder at his dose. He should not be a zombie at all nor should he be sweating like that.. the irritability I do not know is normal for him ? I can say that living this life is exhausting.. I understand very much needing meds for pain management but when it stops our intrudes into everyday life, the effects of the meds you have to wonder at the dose.. You need to speak with him honestly about your feelings your fears.. He is the only one that can decide to come off this to try alternative ways to deal with pain.. Methadone can get you very high and they up the dose to high levels.. It dose need to be tapered down if coming off.. If he thinks he can not function without Maybe you can speak to him about tapering down so it does not effect him this way.. at a lower dose he should not have these symptoms. Does he get it from a private Dr. our a clinic ? I wish I could be more helpful but without speaking too Him it is hard to say what is going on.. lesa
If he is mixing the heroin with the methadone it is a killer combo... the symptoms would be the same if using heroin small pupils nodding off at inappropriate times sweating itching. secretive and poor appetite no money and loss of interest in outside things and family...
Hi, i just got married, my husband is rying to come off methadone, he is down to 20ml a day, he gets very angry at me and then says it was me when i have done nothing wrong, i am a bag of nerves , i dont know what to say to him as he might get angry at me, when we got togeather he made me laugh and now i spend alot of the time in tears and i am scared, plz can someone help me?
That's heartache, and I am so sorry for what you are enduring. This is my third time around, living with an addicted loved one, and what you describe is a form deflecting I don't understand. I do know it is useless to argue, and even dangerous. Addicts need stability as they withdraw, decide if you can provide that, and if you can, look into professional support for yourself.
Hi and thankyou for your advice, I try and give him sability but i feel mentaly worn out, I am trying to give him my all and i feel i dont ge much back, I am tierd of feeling scared and not knowing what to say to him, we use to have a laugh and now i feel like we have face ach lol, He tells me he wont always be like this but how long before we are both happy, he tells me he is happy, but if truth be told i am sad, i want him to get better, we have only be married just over a week and i dont feel like a newly wed, our wedding night was a desaster like many days, i am normaly happy and down to earth and now i am quite, sad, lonley, depressed, i always think of others and all i want is to feel happy .
Didn’t you say, in another message, that you walked away from an abusive situation? Then, walk away from this active user. A week of marriage does not absolve commitment. Your attitude says you’re the one being hurt, so leave, and on your way out the door, tell him you’ll see him when he gets sober. Then, get some professional help for yourself because there is a reason why you continue to be attracted to these relationships. And stay away from men until you resolve yourself in your own sobriety.
Hello Lexy. I'm not in tune with anything you have to say here, I just want to apologize for having taken up another issue. The response from member 10356 is excellent.
Wishing you the best.
if his dose is to high he will nodd off,happened to me for about a month til i got on the rite dose..
Hello all!
Tremendous thanks to all of you for your responses! Hellifiknow please, do not worry! The more the merrier! <3
10356, what you mentioned hits it right on the nose!! :-(. He has poor appetite, definitely! I'm always telling him to eat and that he eats almost nothing. He hasn't lost interest in family, but I always joke around and call him a hermit because he likes to stay home. We don't go out or do anything fun so I can say he has lost interest in the outside world. I wish he was "a normal person" more than anything, and I too, feel depressed a lot. Is there any way this can be the methadone and marijuana together? Maybe I'm in denial... ? Part of me is suspicious... The other part can't see it!!! :-(
My fiance of 7 years and 3 kids together has been clean of heroin for over a year and has been on methadone since off heroin, I couldn't tell you his dose because he has told me a few #mg so im not positive.....anyways my question is he recently got caught looking up online " how to pass a opiate drug test" and recently failed one supposedly due to a computer glitch and told me hes fighting it and is going to trial for a hearing blah blah blah...he literally stands up falling asleep I catch him with his eyes closed all the time he just says hes tired he never injected just snorted so is there anyway I can find out if hes still using or am I just an idiot with the answer right in front of my eyes?